So series like Street Fighter,Maden,CoD get excused on this?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dalesy
Beyond Newbie

Re: So series like Street Fighter,Mario,CoD get excused on t

Post by Dalesy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:39 am

budokaifanatic007 wrote:
So it's no wonder that most DBZ fans seem to bored out of their minds with this style of game. We've been getting similar games since 2005, when the first Budokai Tenkaichi hit the shelves. There have been no major innovations in the BT and RB series, so of course, fans are sick and tired of it. It goes beyond visual similarity, these games play in a very similar manner.
So do you think NB should go back to the abandoned Budokai series??
That would be one way to switch it up. Although, if another fighting game were in the works for DBZ, my ideal game would be a Capcom-produced team fighter a la Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
"Clark Kakakent however, would never speak that way. Clark Kakakent is a big orange boy scout who fights for truth, Justice, and the Saiyan way." - DemonRin

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:11 am

Dalesy wrote:
budokaifanatic007 wrote:
So it's no wonder that most DBZ fans seem to bored out of their minds with this style of game. We've been getting similar games since 2005, when the first Budokai Tenkaichi hit the shelves. There have been no major innovations in the BT and RB series, so of course, fans are sick and tired of it. It goes beyond visual similarity, these games play in a very similar manner.
So do you think NB should go back to the abandoned Budokai series??
That would be one way to switch it up. Although, if another fighting game were in the works for DBZ, my ideal game would be a Capcom-produced team fighter a la Marvel vs. Capcom 2.
Yea man the HD collection made me think how awesome a Budokai 4 would be. I'm for one tired of Tenkaichi styled gameplay!
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Re: So series like Street Fighter,Maden,CoD get excused on t

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:27 pm

Both styles, Budokai and Tenkaichi seemed to have reached there potential already. I really don't think they could pull of a Budokai 4 or Tenkaichi 4 and invoke a different response than the ones we are seeing already. It's why I'm excited for Battle of Z, it's different enough. Gameplay wise I can see improvements and new ways to play; especially after listening to the Kanzenshuu podcast. Pro tip, don't think of BoZ like a fighting game.

Truth be told though, I want a more traditional fighter. A Marvel vs Capcom styled game would do a great job of capturing the energy of the series. I've wanted something like that for YEARS! A more refined Super Dragonball Z type game, built for consoles and with a slightly bigger(but still unique) roster would also be heaven. Sadly, I don't think there is an audience within the Dragonball community big enough to warrant a game like that. As much as I really would want it.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 pm

I plan to pick up BOZ when the price drops since I don't want to pay full price for it. Ultimate Blast left a terrible taste in my mouth and my excitement for DBZ games started to drop by the time BT3 came out. I kinda let down by BT3 because everything was pretty much unlock for you and the story mode was pretty bad. After 2007, my excitement got lower and lower. UB give me hope since it looked fun and the character creation mode look cool too.

I'm betting after 2014, we might have Spike back if BOZ is not big enough of a hit as Namco Bandai hopes for. I think that's why Namco Bandai never bother having Dimps do a Burst Limit 2 after 2008.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Dalesy wrote:So it's no wonder that most DBZ fans seem to bored out of their minds with this style of game. We've been getting similar games since 2005, when the first Budokai Tenkaichi hit the shelves. There have been no major innovations in the BT and RB series, so of course, fans are sick and tired of it. It goes beyond visual similarity, these games play in a very similar manner.
Even Tenkaichi fans like me don't care for the PS3-era games, because they don't even measure up to BT3.

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Dalesy wrote:So it's no wonder that most DBZ fans seem to bored out of their minds with this style of game. We've been getting similar games since 2005, when the first Budokai Tenkaichi hit the shelves. There have been no major innovations in the BT and RB series, so of course, fans are sick and tired of it. It goes beyond visual similarity, these games play in a very similar manner.
Even Tenkaichi fans like me don't care for the PS3-era games, because they don't even measure up to BT3.
Majority consensus from what I've read. I personally haven't had an urge to look past the Tenkaichi series, but I'm also getting old. I've separated myself from a lot of the gaming spirit I once had, including the excitement of a new game. Quite in fact, I have several games I haven't played yet.
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.

SparkyPantsMcGee
I Live Here

Post by SparkyPantsMcGee » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:49 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
I'm betting after 2014, we might have Spike back if BOZ is not big enough of a hit as Namco Bandai hopes for. I think that's why Namco Bandai never bother having Dimps do a Burst Limit 2 after 2008.
Dimps moved on to bigger brighter pastures. They have a hand in making the new Street Fighters. Plus, it's not Namco-Bandai got rid of them, they have that arcade card game...thing. Spike was (probably) a cheaper investment with less on their plate. Plus, all you even see on the internet is "we want another BT3!" and since Spike made that game I'm guessing NB thougth they could have lighting strike twice.
...Wait what are you doing? Are you still reading this? I finished what I had to say, why don't you move on to the next post?

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:41 pm

I'm surprise no one compare DBZ to the WWE video games? I'm not a big fan of wrestling, but don't most of the WWE video games play the same for the past several years.
She/Her

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm fairly certain with the change in developers, we won't being seeing Spike come back for the next home release. It seems that Namco Bandai is aware that there needs to be some sort of change and are hopefully smart enough to not give up on that even if Battle of Z under performs.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:57 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm surprise no one compare DBZ to the WWE video games? I'm not a big fan of wrestling, but don't most of the WWE video games play the same for the past several years.
I will chime in on that, I personally have not noticed any changes in the WWE engine that affect gameplay in any way. If such changes exist then they probably only affect the immersion via "WWE Universe"... I do not use that function enough to truly make my own shows or even manage the careers of anyone on the roster. (granted, I have Fire Pro Wrestling if I wanted to have a simulation experience) The only times I can really say that WWE's engine had changed any was when they changed the title over the years.

Examples:

Smackdown (subtitle here) to Smackdown VS Raw- simplified counter system and revamp of the "finishers"

SVR to WWE (year)- "Complication" of the counter system and more emphasis on community creations/"Universe" mode

I could be wrong though, it has been a really long time since I've touched any WWE games past or present...
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

ZeroAnnihilated
Not-So-Newbie

Post by ZeroAnnihilated » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:41 pm

kazamino wrote:
I will chime in on that, I personally have not noticed any changes in the WWE engine that affect gameplay in any way. If such changes exist then they probably only affect the immersion via "WWE Universe"... I do not use that function enough to truly make my own shows or even manage the careers of anyone on the roster. (granted, I have Fire Pro Wrestling if I wanted to have a simulation experience) The only times I can really say that WWE's engine had changed any was when they changed the title over the years.

Examples:

Smackdown (subtitle here) to Smackdown VS Raw- simplified counter system and revamp of the "finishers"

SVR to WWE (year)- "Complication" of the counter system and more emphasis on community creations/"Universe" mode

I could be wrong though, it has been a really long time since I've touched any WWE games past or present...
I stopped purchasing wwe games a while back but I will say the most entertaining aspect I found was the create a wrestler. They were pretty in-depth. What's more fun that creating someone from head to toe, all attacks inclusive, and then facing them against your friend's creation? I cared very little for the storyline, but the create a wrestlers seemed to get better and better, at least to the point I stopped playing. I remember when I was younger, wishing a DBZ game would come out with the same level of extensive create a fighter, but from what I hear, UT kinda did a bad job. Still, hard to compare to the WWE games.
Be not afraid of greatness. Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them.

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:05 pm

If you play and enjoy Madden, COD, or even Raging Blast series, you feel and see the differences between each iteration better than people who don't play them.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:50 pm

I admit it was strange, with how much Capcom could get away with, the only time i thing their sales blew, was with Street Fighter X Tekken, because of that "DLC characters already on disc" fiasco, i never played CoD, but, from what i read, it get tons of hate, for every year release. Maybe it would help DBZ too, to take some break from series, and after that, not release another fighting game, but RPG/platform game.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kazamino » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:10 pm

coola wrote:I admit it was strange, with how much Capcom could get away with, the only time i thing their sales blew, was with Street Fighter X Tekken, because of that "DLC characters already on disc" fiasco, i never played CoD, but, from what i read, it get tons of hate, for every year release. Maybe it would help DBZ too, to take some break from series, and after that, not release another fighting game, but RPG/platform game.
I'd heard differently with SFxT... something about mega man fanboys complaining about the US box art mega man being playable as a shot at them or something, the DLC on disc fiasco I'd heard about was on MvC3 and some reports about SSFIV: AC being a needless entry. I don't know how sales were really affected regarding some of this but I do know that Capcom tends to be on a lot of my friends hate lists solely based on this information.

Regarding what I've heard about CoD... yeah I hear complaints but those same people also say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I don't understand how people can complain about something not innovating and then quickly defend the series by comparing it to a "broken clone or ripoff".
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:22 pm

SF does not get games every year like DBZ and COD does. SF4 came out like 12 or 11 years after SF3. I know there's the Street Fighter Alpha and EX series, but I'm talking about the main games in the main series.
She/Her

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Halo was always the same no matter how many of them they did. Hell, they can make 10 of those and it won't be any different. COD.. I NEVER understood the popularity. Like every 13 year old is now playing that. :?
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:45 pm

At least Halo has a good story worth playing through. COD has characters I don't give a damn about and I find war FPS games overrated. What happen to the good old days of Doom and Quake? Borderlands and Rage comes pretty close though. Anyways, BOZ got poor reviews as well and I don't think we will see another DBZ game with good reviews again. It's possible, but I'm not holding my breath anytime soon.
She/Her

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:At least Halo has a good story worth playing through. COD has characters I don't give a damn about and I find war FPS games overrated. What happen to the good old days of Doom and Quake? Borderlands and Rage comes pretty close though. Anyways, BOZ got poor reviews as well and I don't think we will see another DBZ game with good reviews again. It's possible, but I'm not holding my breath anytime soon.
I think Battle of Z was successful. The fans liked it and the critics had mediocre to positive reviews, but that doesn't entirely mean that it won't get a sequel or another game for DBZ. Heck most of the FPS these days are extremely successful, but critics are starting to dislike it more and more, still fans get the games they want of COD or BF4 and fans are still calling out for new DBZ games.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:05 pm

I think Street Fighter doesn't do the same thing over and over again. Over the years they have introduced combos, new characters, and stages. We also got parries, focus attacks, and ultras and supers. By far they have been one of my most favorite series and Street Fighter 3: 3rd strike as my top 10 favorite games. Madden is a sports game and you can't do anything much with it in truth. CoD is 50 50. I really liked Cod in the beginning and is one of the best. They had a great story mode. After COD 3 though I guess it is true.
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:30 pm

I'm suprised no one mentioned King of Fighters yet. Starting with 94, it had games being released early until the end of 2003. SNK stopped with the anual releases and besides some spin-offs, there's only 3 main games released after that.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr