'Super DragonBall Z' is Coming To America!

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Orochi_Rockman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Orochi_Rockman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:01 pm

I bought the game while I was out on my lunch break today. I'm still at work so I can't confirm anything but the instruction booklet inside the case says the same thing about the Voice Options as my strategy guide I got yesterday.

The only option for voices is changing the volume of them during battles.

So unless there's just some hidden option for the original VAs the American Super DBZ is English only. Yay! That means my new Freeza is going to sound like an 80 year old chain smoker.

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:35 pm

One step forward and two steps back... :?

tigerwiccan

Post by tigerwiccan » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:40 pm

Just concentrate on how good the gameplay is. I guess if you are super hardcore DBZ fan / Japan purist, you might be pissed to the point of not being able to enjoy this game. But for the rest of us, this is a great DBZ game which captures the feel of the fights well enough and also happens to have really engaging gameplay.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Jul 19, 2006 2:34 pm

tigerwiccan wrote:Just concentrate on how good the gameplay is. I guess if you are super hardcore DBZ fan / Japan purist, you might be pissed to the point of not being able to enjoy this game. But for the rest of us, this is a great DBZ game which captures the feel of the fights well enough and also happens to have really engaging gameplay.
I don't think it's the case of whether or not the gameplay is good or not. It's just that it's kind of irritating that Atari is doing this....again. After their issue with The "Budokai 3 Greatest Hits Edition" you think they would learn from their mistakes, but I guess not. Either way I'm getting this game, Japanese voices or not because it still looks very enjoyable. Though in retrospect, I think they'll stop making claims of having Japanese voices due to their previous mishap as mentioned above.

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:42 pm

Well, all reports point to the game being strictly dubbed. Way to go, Atari. I don't get it, the UK version is dual language, right? Why would Atari go out of their way to TAKE OUT the option to switch languages? Are they REALLY holding out for the GH version a la B3? If so...fuck them. This is crazy. With enough Ebay hunting I can find the japanese version for a decent enough price. Sorry Atari. Maybe if you hadn't done such a bang-up job with the GH version of B3, I'd shrug it off. But after spoiling us like this, don't expect us to just bend over and take your crap.

Nyoibo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nyoibo » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:48 pm

Actually, no. The PAL version of the game contains only the Japanese voice overs. BandaiNamco has also removed Cha La Head Cha La from the intro and replaced it with a track similar to the one in Budokai Tenkaichi.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:02 pm

I recently got the game & played it. Yes, unfortunately, Atari has put the dub voices in only. So far I'm enjoying it, but the game can get a little frustrating, but I guess that goes with any traditional "hardcore" fighter I play.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:04 am

So far I've greatly enjoyed the battling style in this game. I'm a little too young to remember that much about Street Fighter, but after playing this I understand why its creator is so famous. :mrgreen:

Also, the fact that every opponent has his or her own unique way of battling forces you to learn different ways of dealing with them.

I would like the japanese voices though and am hoping its something unlockable.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:48 am

I think I'll skip this one. The Street Fighter-type fighting games annoy the hell out of me.

I'll stick with Tenkaichi. :P

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:54 am

I've played the UK version, and I can tell you that i'm very disappointed that there are no dub voices. I don't mind the Japanese voices but they can get irritating after a while.

60hz sort of makes up for it though.

Oh, and if the UK gets Japanese voices, why did they remove Cha La Head Cha La from the opening movie? The 2005 version sounds God awful, but it's still kinda strange that they'd remove it.

tigerwiccan

Post by tigerwiccan » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:03 am

Rocketman wrote:I think I'll skip this one. The Street Fighter-type fighting games annoy the hell out of me.

I'll stick with Tenkaichi. :P
Just so you know, the ONLY thing this has in common with Street Fighter is the way you pull off some of the specials and supers (well, and that the producer of SF2 worked on this game). Everything else, from the flying and dashing, to the insane energy attacks, is pure DBZ.

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family

Post by MajinVejitaXV » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:24 am

Kula wrote:I've played the UK version, and I can tell you that i'm very happy that there are no dub voices. I don't mind the English voices but they can get irritating after a while (for the love of God, someone hand Piccolo and Vejita a Luden's).
Fixed ;)

One cool extra is that you can wish for different narrators, to be changed in the options menu. Currently, my UK copy (yay for 60hz and a region free PS2) has Vejita narrating the game, from title screen to 'game over' :D

-Corey

Steven Perry
Advanced Regular

Post by Steven Perry » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:31 am

Oh my god! :shock:

I saw it... in my mum's shopping bag! But... she refuses to let me have it, because she's saving it for my birthday. Nooooo!

Eh, doesn't matter. It's only 3 days away... :P DON'T FORGET!
XBL: CallyMan90 | YouTube | DeviantART

~ LAST SURVIVING MEMBER OF ROOM 29 ~

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:01 pm

*Begins to get over the shock of no japanese voices* Well, if all else fails, I could pick up the US version and turn the voices off....

A part of me wants to import, since I have a slide card now and really want the japanese voices, but another part of me keeps reminding me that importing is essentially another 30 bucks, especially compared to the Circuit City sale next week. So damn frustrating.