What Premise Would Warrant Another Dragon Ball Series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RocktheDragon
Regular

What Premise Would Warrant Another Dragon Ball Series?

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:09 pm

I hope all of you are strapped into your seats because this will be quite a long OP. I've been thinking for sometime now what it would take for there to eventually be another series in the Dragon Ball Universe. Let me preface this post a little more by saying that 1) I personally believe that a new series is and should be decades off, 2) the creation of a new series would have to fall outside the purview of the original author, and 3)this is meant to be a fun speculative exercise of our desires and interests in where a future Dragon Ball story could go. Having said that let me begin with what I feel would have to happen so that a new series could actually feel "new".

1) Goku no longer plays a starring role in in the franchise. Let me explain what this does and does not mean to me. Toward the end of Dragon Ball Z there was always a concern with Goku in putting forth a successor that would look after the earth when Goku no longer could. This process is largely undone in the Buu arc but seems to come to some fruition with the arrival of Oob and Goku wanting to go off and train him. I have also seen some scans of the last Kanzenban volume release that had Toriyama place Oob on Nimbus to try and more purposely position Oob as the true and heralded successor of Goku. I think that many would agree that this was Toriyama's original and reworked ending idea for the series (the replacement of Goku by Oob).

However, one of my questions concerning the possibility of a new series is this: Can Dragon Ball ever work without having Goku be the sole star and focus? For many people Dragon Ball is Son Goku and Son Goku is Dragon Ball. Many cannot imagine one without the other and understandably so. The series has always been all about Goku and (for better and for worse) he has always been the one to outshine all other supporting characters.

Personally I feel that for a new Dragon Ball series to work Goku would have to be out of it. By that I mean no coming back from heaven, no saving the day when everything is hopeless, and finally having the series shift from a focus on Goku to someone else (Oob or otherwise). Please understand that this does not mean that I think Goku's character should be entirely left out. Perhaps he gives advice to our new hero in some way-shape-form or is involved in some other way. Some cameo appearances by Goku would go a long way in reminding people that he was the original hero and could even lead to some great nostalgic trips of the original DB series.

And what about his successor? When it comes to Oob there is no telling how that story could go and there is also the danger of Oob relying too much on Goku for future crises on earth. I think a series that would focus on Oob would do more harm than good because the events would still be a bit too close to the original series. It would feel a bit too much like the original series and Goku's presence would run the risk of it becoming a full on Goku show once again. That's why I think that if there was to be a successor series it would have to star a hero removed by the events of DBZ at least long enough that all the heroes we knew of in the original series are no longer present/alive on earth.

This would definitely help breath some fresh air into it all and would really put the focus on a new hero and supporting cast. Perhaps this new hero is one that Oob chose himself (just as Goku did) or is present by some other means. The point is that we have a new cast with unique personalities and identities that will chart their own course and destiny in the series.

This topic just brings up one point in a long list of many of what it would take to bring back the Dragon Ball Universe. I could have touched on a number of different points but I thought framing this topic within the hero/protagonist/lead set up was a good start. Feel free to comment/shoot down any of my points or bring up any other subjects that would be pertinent in a future Dragon Ball series coming to fruition.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What Premise Would Warrant Another Dragon Ball Series?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:21 pm

Lets just leave it at this:

There shouldn't be a new series. As much as I love DB/DBZ, it doesn't need a new series.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

I think a new series with new characters can work and could sell well. Kai did poorly because it was nothing new and fans are tired of the same old story. I would love to see a GT sequel that took place after the Shadow Dragon saga and before Hero's Legacy with Vegeta, Gohan and Ubb as the main characters. It would have a more serious tone similar to the Cell saga where the characters die for good and everyone has be to more careful without Goku or the Dragon Balls. The problem is that a series like that won't sell well because Goku is the series icon and he's one of the most popular anime character in Japan. People watch DB for Goku and see him fight bad guys.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:35 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Lets just leave it at this:

There shouldn't be a new series. As much as I love DB/DBZ, it doesn't need a new series.
This. I really don't think that Dragon Ball needs a new series...
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:00 pm

I'm all for a new Dragon Ball series, in theory. There's so much to still explore and so much potential. Unfortunately, Toei wouldn't do it right, even if Toriyama wrote it. In fact, after how disappointing Battle of Gods was (for me), Toriyama writing it wouldn't instill much confidence...
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:19 pm

The only thing that could make me want to see a new DB series: a remake.
And not a Kai version: I mean a new series adapting the manga with more modern techniques. So it wouldn't be a continuation of the original anime.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:32 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:The only thing that could make me want to see a new DB series: a remake.
And not a Kai version: I mean a new series adapting the manga with more modern techniques. So it wouldn't be a continuation of the original anime.
There's been too much regurgitation already, I think future expansions need to cover new ground.

Whether or not that will ever warrant the scope of an entire new series, as opposed to a special or a movie, is entirely dependent on the story to be told.

Frankly, it seems a little difficult to fit any huge expansion of the story into gaps in the known timeline - that would seem better suited to little capers such as the JSAT and BoG.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:34 pm

Why not just make a trilogy based on Dragon Ball Online?

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:21 pm

Why not though? The Dragon Ball universe is gargantuan and the possibilities of stories to be told are numerous! I think we've run the course of stories involving the established characters (Goku, Z fighters, etc) but a world with magic balls that can garner an individual any wish seems ripe for more story.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:25 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think a new series with new characters can work and could sell well. Kai did poorly because it was nothing new and fans are tired of the same old story. I would love to see a GT sequel that took place after the Shadow Dragon saga and before Hero's Legacy with Vegeta, Gohan and Ubb as the main characters. It would have a more serious tone similar to the Cell saga where the characters die for good and everyone has be to more careful without Goku or the Dragon Balls. The problem is that a series like that won't sell well because Goku is the series icon and he's one of the most popular anime character in Japan. People watch DB for Goku and see him fight bad guys.
That's the million dollar question then. Do you see any way of making a transition post Goku or will his presence and legacy always prohibit the expansion of the Dragon Ball universe? I think that, compared to other manga/anime series, the Dragon Ball universe has a lot of potential for stories to be told and explored. I feel that we won't always have to rely on what's already come before though some might say what's the point of Dragon Ball without Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, etc (which I think is a valid concern). I just think that there may be a way to push forward inside this Universe while still respecting the prior series/history that came before it.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:26 pm

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Why not just make a trilogy based on Dragon Ball Online?
Correct me if I'm incorrect but isn't Dragon Ball Online now defunct i.e. servers have been shut down? Why base a future/new series on an unsuccessful (seemingly at least) property?

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:37 pm

Blade wrote:
UltimateHammerBro wrote:The only thing that could make me want to see a new DB series: a remake.
There's been too much regurgitation already, I think future expansions need to cover new ground.

Whether or not that will ever warrant the scope of an entire new series, as opposed to a special or a movie, is entirely dependent on the story to be told.

Frankly, it seems a little difficult to fit any huge expansion of the story into gaps in the known timeline - that would seem better suited to little capers such as the JSAT and BoG.

I agree with your regurgitation point, Dragon Ball has gone through too many reiterations already and remaking the whole manga with new techniques would be overkill (though nice, really really nice, don't get me wrong). The way Battle of Gods has been placed in the timeline makes me think that all new material (at least covered by movies, IF there are more) will not overtake the manga's ending. This falls inline with Toriyama's desire to not continue his DB story but fill in some gaps within the timeline. If there are future movies after Battle of Gods I think that they will keep the general format of following after Goku and attempting to integrate some of the other supporting characters (either through humor or direct conflict). The rhyme and reason of Battle of Gods is allowing audiences and fans to "continue" the story of Goku without really continuing the story linearly. I love the opportunity it offers us to see all our old heroes and friends again but a new series would have to have much bigger motivations to even exist.

I see the issues present here, don't get me wrong. Goku is bankable (and so is Vegeta and all the regulars) and wouldn't a Dragon Ball without our main stars might as well be pointless? I know there is the possibility of that occurring (and apathy setting in) but I think the Universe deserves some new blood (one day, not anytime soon mind you!).

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:44 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:

Why not though? The Dragon Ball universe is gargantuan and the possibilities of stories to be told are numerous! I think we've run the course of stories involving the established characters (Goku, Z fighters, etc) but a world with magic balls that can garner an individual any wish seems ripe for more story.

You're right, but we all know that Toei wouldn't do it right, and Toriyama wanted to continue, he would've by now, as DB ended almost 20 years ago.

While I don't want an actual continuation, I'd love to see specials, movies, etc, filling in the gaps of the unknown years (in between Buu & the end of the manga, between Z and GT. maybe even between DB & Z, or Cell/Buu.
Not even all fighting, maybe just normal life kind of stuff.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:25 pm

There kinda already is a new series. And it doesn't involve Super Saiyan 5, Oob, Goku Jr, or even martial arts. It is about a couple of kids playing a card game.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:29 pm

Makaioshin wrote:There kinda already is a new series. And it doesn't involve Super Saiyan 5, Oob, Goku Jr, or even martial arts. It is about a couple of kids playing a card game.
I agree, there is a new series in a sense and one that may indeed help extend the franchise and bring in a new (younger) audience but with my topic I'm thinking farther down the road. I certainly think there is a possibility of Dragon Ball Heroes even being made into some kind of anime but it is presenting another service than what a more full fledged series might be able to do and bring to the table. I am excited in the possibilities of what Dragon Ball Heroes can bring to us at the present time but at the moment even that is quite limited (geographically, and within the scope of the product).

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:34 pm

I prefer gap-filling over creating an entirely new cast/rebooting yugioh-style. DB is more about the characters than the universe for me, and I've never liked having characters I like being replaced that way (only real exception for this with me is Precure because you're only with the same cast for one year and then not just the cast, but the entire universe reboots; but long-running series like DB? Not a chance.). One of the things I like about BOG is it's filling a gap; and DB has so many time-skips to choose from that you could cover. Don't want to use Goku? There's the 7 year gap between Cell and Buu. Want to do something where the Earthlings are still main players? There's the 5 years between DB and Z, etc. Goku's my favorite personally, so for me where BOG was set was pretty nice. I would've liked it if it were a few years further in the future from where it was (I wanted to see teenage Goten and teenage Trunks), but I'm happy with it.

With DBHeroes...I care so little for it. I don't care about card games, or Beat, Note, and the rest. Treating the actual DB cast like the monsters in YGO especially is something I do not like at all. The artwork for the manga is nice to look at, but that's about it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ Mick » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:25 pm

It doesn't need a new series. I do think they could do material with background details let's say on Freeza's childhood but it should be left to specials or manga.

Do a teratology of movies from BoG's storyline.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:29 pm

I'd be totally down for an animated adaptation of Dragon Ball Multiverse.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:45 pm

First of all, there are 100s of megaman games. There could definitely be another Dragon Ball series.

Point 1: We keep buying the same video footage/episodes over and over again.
Point 2: Battle of Gods and it's popularity are proof that there is room for new Dragon Ball. It opened (according to wikipedia, anyways...) #1 in Japan and was #5 on the overseas box office charts (the highest grossing non-american film).

If FUNi was smart they would be busting at the bit to get a new series produced or even co-produce a new series. I would imagine most hardcore fans just don't want more because (as GT proved) unless it is phenomenal it will dilute the series. I think that's the problem with Naruto and Bleach. They...just..won't...go..away. They were run into the ground. Heck you could argue that DB has already been run into the ground. However, enough time has passed and people obviously want more. Why else would FUNi still be selling us essentially the same product??

Story-wise it would be hard to get away from Goku. Toriyama already tried this and he ended up listening to his fans and bringing Goku back to the spotlight.

Set it in the future and just bring Goku back from the dead to help his descendants or some crap like that. Heck even make Goku the new Kaio-sama or something. I think he's earned that at least...

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:57 pm

While I also agree that a long running series like the original is completely out of the question, I wouldn't mind a miniseries or ovas every now and then.

Options I could see working as a miniseries:
Adaptation of DB Multiverse, which ironically, they pointed in that general direction with BoG.
Adaptation of the DB Online timeline. It would be a shame to waste all that new lore, and I actually love the way they sent off Goku and Vegeta.
Story of the first Super Saiyan God.

The Galactic Patrol/ Bulma's sister.
A story about Pan and Uub might be able to hold my interest if they are handled correctly. Pan has always been a wildcard and holds much promise if they know how to write her.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"