DBZ & DB Fansub VHS & Memorabilia

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RocktheDragon
Regular

Re: DBZ & DB Fansub VHS & Memorabilia

Post by RocktheDragon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:34 am

Elguapo wrote:This is a version 2 for the DVD Menu, I got some good advice when I posted the last one and I feel this one came out much better.

The version on youtube is much lower quality than the one that is going to be on the DVD its compressed from 6.20gb to 117mb, I'm uploading a better version but its going to take a long time.

This is pretty close to final, there are a few things I am going to change but I'm to tired & hungry to continue today. Next step will be to show you guys a working version as if it was in a DVD player.

Again, any constructive criticism is welcomed.

Imagine the play & extra buttons changing to a white glow color when its selected.

I like this version but I might be a little biased because I just love the song so damn much..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFSjqZO ... e=youtu.be

Make sure to watch in HD
Looks great to me! Very excited and it's nice to see how much hard work you've put into this. Great job man. :thumbup:
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:04 am

Elguapo wrote:This is a version 2 for the DVD Menu, I got some good advice when I posted the last one and I feel this one came out much better.

The version on youtube is much lower quality than the one that is going to be on the DVD its compressed from 6.20gb to 117mb, I'm uploading a better version but its going to take a long time.

This is pretty close to final, there are a few things I am going to change but I'm to tired & hungry to continue today. Next step will be to show you guys a working version as if it was in a DVD player.

Imagine the play & extra buttons changing to a white glow color when its selected.

I like this version but I might be a little biased because I just love the song so damn much..

Make sure to watch in HD
It's okay. What are the extras, commercials and video game clips?

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 am

Personally prefer the version of your second you made without the aged film effects, they strike me as tacky.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:24 am

Make sure to watch in HD
That Goku and Vegeta "brofist" fanart looks random and out of place, and the effects are overdone. Axe those, and leave it with just the basic text and layout, and it will be as good as it needs to be. :thumbup:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 am

Yeah, I'd say remove the film effect and the random images and you'd be good.

I'd probably go an extra step and change PLAY and EXTRAS into a more standard font like Arial Black or Helvetica Bold since the DBZ font on anything but the logo looks tacky.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:44 am

bkev wrote:Personally prefer the version of your second you made without the aged film effects, they strike me as tacky.
Elguapo said that he wanted to go for a tacky/messy look for the DVD menu's. I think it reflects the messiness of the original fan sub VHS releases and is a callback to that. I get that a lot of people want nice aesthetics for the DVD menu but that might be missing the point.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:01 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:A little off topic but anything is better than this copy of Titanic I found at my thriftstore (I thought this was a real copy) *Warning: Lower volume*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwsAKa64 ... uscomments

On topic. I'd love to get the subtitles and continue my project of making srt files out of them for Dragon Boxes. It's a fun novelty lol
My...God...this is the first time I've ever been creeped out by Titanic. :/ Fascinating...find...there...

SRT files would be neat, I'd like to have full scripts of those AnimeLabs jobs.

I'm interested in OP's endeavors, not sure if I'll be buying though, OTOH I would love to own some of those things, with the messages in the subtitles and the bootleg footage and all, commercials, etc.

RE: DVD menu, it looks great. I like the random Roshi popping up, and the "damaged film" effects (complements the VHS footage nicely). Not sure what there is to complain about really. It's a DVD menu.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:21 pm

Let me make it clear that the discussion of actively selling fansubs like this is absolutely prohibited and will not be tolerated any further.

The discussion of the underlying subject matter is one thing, which we have and still do actively encourage as a part of our fandom's rich history. Profiting off of said bootleg material, however, will not be tolerated, just as it was not tolerated by the community back when VHS fansubs were still relevant.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Elguapo

Post by Elguapo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:15 pm

Well I'm going to do whatever the web master wants, if you have questions you can pm me.

Prior to this post, I did want to say I took a lot of your feed back on the menu. I felt the same way as most of you, I had to many ideas going through my head..

The fist bump goku & Vegeta. I was actually going to ask if they felt out of place for anybody. I felt it, I just spent so much time cropping those things I just wanted to use them.. I liked the idea of the fist bump because its a fan project with other fans. So it was kinda suppose to be a little symbolic. But they had to go.

I still want to show u guys my progress, as of right now its just a fan project there will be no discussion of price or selling, if that's ok with the mods. a lot of the advice I received in this thread is directly shown in the progression and improvement of the quality.

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:24 pm

諸行無常・・・・・・・
Last edited by takarajima on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:41 pm

Yeah, by digging a bit I should be able to get 1-67 and the great saiyaman saga timed to the dragonboxes.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:19 pm

I plan to also transcribe movie 11 (I thought I did it lol) and most of the Nippon Golden Network subs (is there any legal issues transcribing those since they were not fansubs)?

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:15 am

Begging people to sell me tape's they just ignore me.
Now this guy comes alone and the same poeple talking yea man great for the fans bla bla bla :crazy: funny people

takarajima
Beyond Newbie

Post by takarajima » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:13 pm

諸行無常・・・・・・・
Last edited by takarajima on Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Good news, I just got my hands on timed fansubs to dragonbox eps 1-67, and 166-209! Unfortunately, I don't remember all our sources, but the eps I typed off were from NGN.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:17 pm

takarajima wrote:shinmaru: I've replied to your private message.

sangofe & eledoremassis02: Thank you for your support! I'm sure that people will much appreciate your effort!

I'm not entirely sure on the status of the NGN subtitles, and whether or not we could release them... But in any case, perhaps instead of NGN, we could start by working on the most (in)famous fansub episodes, for example the episodes done by Anime Labs listed here. Something like a "best of" fansub subtitle set...? I would be happy to send materials over to anyone would like to help transcribing but do not have tapes of their own.

It would also be nice if someone could write up some quick instructions on how to actually use the script files as well... I myself am so busy that I hardly have the time to do anything right now...
As always, I'd be more than happy to transcribe these subs lol. A best of to start would be pretty good way to re-introduce these subtitles to the world lol

A How to would be good to. I have a free program I use to do transcribe that I really like, so I'll try to give that a shot too (with screen shots and what not). :)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:22 pm

A few years ago I remember using Subtitle Workshop which allows to load the video and copy the subs down to the list and afterwards time it correctly, and then on the end you'd see how it all worked out.

I'd love to help out but I don't have any of these crazy DBZ cassettes' subs around.

http://subworkshop.sourceforge.net/
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:38 pm

I use subtitle edit. When I do a how to, I'll provide both links :)
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Subtitle-Edit

I dont have tapes either (with the exception of Dragon ball). I've bidded on ones that pop up on ebay but never win them hahah

Oh! I'll do movie 11 since I have not gotten to it yet lol (might as well use it for a tutorial)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Guys, if you're talking about subtitling there's only one program: Aegisub.

But if it's simply to transcribe i recommend simply notepad while watching the fansub and pausing each time there's a new line to write.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:18 pm

sangofe wrote:Guys, if you're talking about subtitling there's only one program: Aegisub.

But if it's simply to transcribe i recommend simply notepad while watching the fansub and pausing each time there's a new line to write.
Just load the video in Aegisub and time and type from there save file Ssa very easy