Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by Gonstead » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:05 am

If it counts, this is what we have as the preview shots.

Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:23 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:Goku's foot! Now we can see it in all it's irregular glory :lol:'

Not bad, but like with the logo, I think it will be a bit distracting with it's repetitiveness when you link all the covers together. I know why they didn't do it this way, but it would have been cool if the slip cover (atleast first print or maybe right stuff exclusive) was just the raw art and all the logos and things were on the regular cover/spine

Edit: I just realized this is not a slip cover :lol: these dont come with them I'd assume? I like the spine art better in this version
Oh my! I just realized the problem with the cover art and didn't even pay attention to it in the first place! You're right that it is going to be very annoying have the logo on every cover...one oversight that I think should have been handled for aesthetic purposes. Oh well, I'm sure that Funimation will put out a poster with this design and there will be no dumb repetitive logo to ruin the entire shot. :lol:

Actually, when you think about it, maybe Funimation kept the logo so we'd all buy the eventual poster release. :P
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

kidglov3s
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kidglov3s » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:57 am

DoubleGulpShrimp on Blu-ray.com posted some US screenshots, and I made some quick comparisons.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:25 am

Which one is blu-ray? The left side looks much better. I hope that's the BluRay.)

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:26 am

http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view ... n-2-bluray

There are also screens for the season 2 bluray up if any one can do a comparison, the kaio-ken doesn't seem so pinky-orange anymore more a crimson.

kidglov3s
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kidglov3s » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:35 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Which one is blu-ray? The left side looks much better. I hope that's the BluRay.)
Left is Madman website jpg screenshot upscaled to Blu-ray resolution, right is uncompressed PNG screenshot from Funimation Blu-ray.

I was able to find one screenshot that matched what they have for season 2.
Note the Madman screenshots were blown up to 3.2x their size, from Jpegs. I love this one because on the surface it looks ok but you see them side by side and you can notice the blurring.

If someone can take screenshots I think the most worthwhile to compare would be:
They look like just the kind of shot that the Funi Blu-rays mangle.
Last edited by kidglov3s on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:02 am

Season 2 screenshots for the Madman Season 2.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:17 am

Apart one being pal and the other ntsc, ares there any differences between funi's and madman's releases?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:23 am

sangofe wrote:Apart one being pal and the other ntsc, ares there any differences between funi's and madman's releases?
Ignoring that the Madman release isn't out yet, PAL and NTSC don't come into play for 1080p24 content.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:26 am

It'd be cool if Madman actually paid for say previous stage production masters. So they have grain intact and the unchanged colours just left with cropping I would actually consider buying that.

They did have a stink asking for the old orange brick masters in 4:3 I remember.......

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:34 am

Valentine wrote:It'd be cool if Madman actually paid for say previous stage production masters. So they have grain intact and the unchanged colours just left with cropping I would actually consider buying that.

They did have a stink asking for the old orange brick masters in 4:3 I remember.......
Ah, yes. I remember that.

Yet they turned down the opportunity to put out the Dragon Boxes. :roll: I mean, I understand their reasoning behind that decision, but....

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:37 am

The season 2 shots look pretty similar the main difference comes from the fact that the images taken from Madman's site have been significantly downscaled. The season 1 shots however look very different. I noticed that with the season 2 blu rays it seemed like Funimation turned down their artificial sharpening which in season 1 lead to weird artifacting in backgrounds most notably in clouds(it's still present in season 2 but significantly less than in season 1). It would be interesting if Funimation went back and toned down some of their filters to make it similar to the way they did season 2 for Madman's release of season 1. Actually come to think of it wasn't season 1 removed from amazon for over a month? Even now that it's back up it says that it'll take 1-3 weeks to ship. Could it be possible that Funimation made the same changes to the U.S. release of season 1 that we're seeing on Madman's release of the blu rays? This all seems incredibly unlikely but it is interesting to consider and there's no denying that the colors in the Madman shots from season 1 look different than their U.S. counterparts.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

Valentine

Post by Valentine » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:39 am

Ugh don't get me started how we never got the Dragonboxes, I have never actually owned a release of DBZ due to this issue. I remember renting the orange bricks and being confused as to why it was widescreen.

kidglov3s
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kidglov3s » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:49 am

I worked this up:

Still looks over processed. But if it doesn't have the hideous blur, at least it's a more successful effort at what they're going for. Even if it's still revisionist. Of course it'll probably be like what months until we know what these even look like.

qjz123
Regular

Post by qjz123 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:53 am

kidglov3s wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Which one is blu-ray? The left side looks much better. I hope that's the BluRay.)
Left is Madman website jpg screenshot upscaled to Blu-ray resolution, right is uncompressed PNG screenshot from Funimation Blu-ray.

I was able to find one screenshot that matched what they have for season 2.
Note the Madman screenshots were blown up to 3.2x their size, from Jpegs. I love this one because on the surface it looks ok but you see them side by side and you can notice the blurring.

If someone can take screenshots I think the most worthwhile to compare would be:
They look like just the kind of shot that the Funi Blu-rays mangle.
Here's the shot with Kuririn's head from the season blu rays downscaled to match the screenshot from Madman's website.
Like I said in my previous post the season 2 shots look pretty much identical the difference is that because madman's shot's are downscaled they end up hiding the blurring that's noticeable in a full res screenshot. Here is a link to the full res version of the shot with Kuririn's head http://i2.minus.com/iJURGHQa8frVk.png . I'm not sure which episode the shot with Piccolo is from but i'd be more than willing to post it if someone told me when it takes place.
Last edited by qjz123 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kendamu wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:If you put out untouched footage, someone like me is going to take it and turn it into a perfect release. Someone not like me is going to do the same and share it instead. You give pirates the opportunity to do better than companies and people will jump on that so fast.
This is an 80s/90s animated all-ages show that was popular amongst kids. It's not some potent super weapon that might fall into the wrong hands that we have to protect from evil.

kidglov3s
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kidglov3s » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:56 am

qjz123 wrote: Like I said in my previous post the season 2 shots look pretty much identical the difference is that because madman's shot's are downscaled they end up hiding the blurring that's noticeable in a full res screenshot. Here is a link to the full res version of the shot with Kuririn's head http://i2.minus.com/iJURGHQa8frVk.png . I'm not sure which episode the shot with Piccolo is from but i'd be more than willing to post it if someone told me when it take place.
I think you're dead on, those S2 shots do look like they're identical.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:33 am

Wow, it's crazy that even though the image was shrunk so much, you really don't lose much detail at all compared to the Blu-ray. :crazy: :crazy:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:39 am

What would the these sets look like scaled down to DVD?

JackyBoi99
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by JackyBoi99 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:19 am

Wait, did madman use some different kind of film for the blu rays? they look pretty different to me.
It is clear that sometime in Mark Satan's life, he acquired the dragon balls and called upon shenlong to grant him immortality.

98% of Kanzenshuu-goers have not kissed a girl. If you're one of the 2% that has, copy and paste this into your signature.
- Kid Buu

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:04 am

kidglov3s wrote:I worked this up:

Still looks over processed. But if it doesn't have the hideous blur, at least it's a more successful effort at what they're going for. Even if it's still revisionist. Of course it'll probably be like what months until we know what these even look like.
Here's a R2 DBox version.