Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" Dub Turns 10; Still Unreleased

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Bananape
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Bananape » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:05 am

I'm just wondering when and where this dub will be released. It will probably be a TV exclusive, and right now, Canada looks like the best candidate to air it. But considering how long it's already been since the FUNimation dub of Z Kai concluded, you have to wonder if it was even worth Ocean Studio's time to dub this.

While I'm sure Ocean Studios have done a great job dubbing it, the FUNimation dub is as faithful as it gets.

One possibility I've considered is this. If I recall, Ocean Studios was responsible for creating the edits for FUNimation's Z Kai on it's run on US television. Perhaps FUNimation arranged a proposal with Ocean Studios that if they would perform these edits for television, they would be allowed to produce their own dub of Z Kai.

Adding onto this theory, perhaps Ocean Studios have to wait a considerable amount of time after the FUNimation dub's broadcast and distribution before they can release their own. It's the best reason I can think of for how long we've known about Ocean Studio's production and yet it has still been unreleased.

At any rate, I'm sure in some way FUNimation had some part in allowing this Canadian dub to be produced, and they're probably also responsible for why it hasn't seen the light of day. The only question I have is that at the end of the day, is this alternate dub even worth it, especially since it'll probably be exclusive to television? As nice as it would be to see the Canadian cast return, it's hard to argue that this will bring something to the table that the FUNimation dub hasn't already.

User avatar
NitroEX
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1514
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:21 am
Location: Not America

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by NitroEX » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:08 am

Did you happen to ask if they had recorded any Buu saga material? If so that would explain the extra delay. Otherwise it's likely some B.S legal issues keeping this from being released.
Last edited by NitroEX on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:09 am

Again, this all seems really odd. I don't see what the purpose of this alternate dub is. :?

Also, Ocean Studios is a recording studio and has never been involved in any editing. In fact, I think I recall hearing it isn't even Ocean Studios they're using for this dub.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

User avatar
Bananape
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Bananape » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:51 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Also, Ocean Studios is a recording studio and has never been involved in any editing. In fact, I think I recall hearing it isn't even Ocean Studios they're using for this dub.
Well, when the series was airing on Nicktoons, "Ocean Productions Inc." is credited for Video Editing and Production.

I'll provide a screenshot of it.

Image

And it would make sense that Ocean Studios has been involved in editing before since their dub of Dragon Ball Z dub was also edited.

As for the studio involved in the Canadian dub, I'm pretty sure it would be Ocean Studios, if not, Blue Water Studios, which is a branch of Ocean Studios IIRC.
Last edited by Bananape on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:57 am

Not sure why Ocean is listed there, but I'm pretty sure the production of the 90s dub was all Funimation. They just outsourced the voices and music. If anyone has any better info, feel free to correct me.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

User avatar
Bananape
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Bananape » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:01 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Not sure why Ocean is listed there, but I'm pretty sure the production of the 90s dub was all Funimation. They just outsourced the voices and music. If anyone has any better info, feel free to correct me.
Ocean Productions is listed because FUNimation outsourced the editing to them, for whatever reason. They wouldn't just have them credited for a job they didn't do.

As for the 90's dub, Ocean Studios dubbed the first 53 episodes, and while FUNimation financed the dub along with Saban, I'm pretty sure all production was done by Ocean.

User avatar
TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBalishChannel » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:01 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:Quick update, guys:

9/28/2014 -- I managed to sit in on Scott McNeil's Saturday Q&A, since his flight was late and didn't make it to his Q&A on Friday... I wasn't able to record the panel, but there were plenty of folks with video cameras in the audience, so I'm sure the panel will end up on YouTube soon enough.

Luckily, I was one of the first audience members to ask him, so I thanked him for his time and then asked him if he could divulge anything about the "Canadian production of Dragon Ball Kai":

He told us that he didn't really "care for NDAs", and then remarked that they have "finished" with recording Dragon Ball Kai.

He then told us another interesting tidbit: Back when they dubbed it in the 90's/early 00's, it was considered by most of the cast/crew to be just "another project", but for Kai, he noted that the producers and cast involved were giving the show more time and care than in the original show. Interestingly, he also defended the standard English pronunciation of "Namek (Naa-mek)", and he questioned the producers' decisions to pronounce it as "Naw-mek"; explaining that he knew the show and the Piccolo character for years, and that he felt it should still be pronounced the old way.

Like I said, I don't have any video recordings, but I can assure you these statements are accurate. If anyone posts the panel on YouTube, I'll be sure to link to it.
I'm disappointed with these answers. We've known all of this, he's said this in past interviews; interviews that have been uploaded for quite a long time.
I think you should have been more specific with your questions, because you asked for us to come up with questions in the first place and from what I can tell you asked him a very generalized question that is easy to walk around when approached. Perhaps something along the lines of "When do you think we can expect the Canadian version to hit the airwaves?" or "Do you know if anybody else is returning to play their signature roles for the Canadian version of Dragon Ball Z Kai?" would've been more appropriate.

User avatar
Bananape
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Bananape » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:09 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:Quick update, guys:

9/28/2014 -- I managed to sit in on Scott McNeil's Saturday Q&A, since his flight was late and didn't make it to his Q&A on Friday... I wasn't able to record the panel, but there were plenty of folks with video cameras in the audience, so I'm sure the panel will end up on YouTube soon enough.

Luckily, I was one of the first audience members to ask him, so I thanked him for his time and then asked him if he could divulge anything about the "Canadian production of Dragon Ball Kai":

He told us that he didn't really "care for NDAs", and then remarked that they have "finished" with recording Dragon Ball Kai.

He then told us another interesting tidbit: Back when they dubbed it in the 90's/early 00's, it was considered by most of the cast/crew to be just "another project", but for Kai, he noted that the producers and cast involved were giving the show more time and care than in the original show. Interestingly, he also defended the standard English pronunciation of "Namek (Naa-mek)", and he questioned the producers' decisions to pronounce it as "Naw-mek"; explaining that he knew the show and the Piccolo character for years, and that he felt it should still be pronounced the old way.

Like I said, I don't have any video recordings, but I can assure you these statements are accurate. If anyone posts the panel on YouTube, I'll be sure to link to it.
I'm disappointed with these answers. We've known all of this, he's said this in past interviews; interviews that have been uploaded for quite a long time.
I think you should have been more specific with your questions, because you asked for us to come up with questions in the first place and from what I can tell you asked him a very generalized question that is easy to walk around when approached. Perhaps something along the lines of "When do you think we can expect the Canadian version to hit the airwaves?" or "Do you know if anybody else is returning to play their signature roles for the Canadian version of Dragon Ball Z Kai?" would've been more appropriate.
I would have liked to ask how much involvement FUNimation had in the production of that dub.

User avatar
TheBalishChannel
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by TheBalishChannel » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:10 am

Bananape wrote:Ocean Productions is listed because FUNimation outsourced the editing to them, for whatever reason. They wouldn't just have them credited for a job they didn't do.

As for the 90's dub, Ocean Studios dubbed the first 53 episodes, and while FUNimation financed the dub along with Saban, I'm pretty sure all production was done by Ocean.
Ocean only provided the voice-overs and I believe the title cards for the first 53 episodes. The editing of the footage to make it more appropriate for it's target audience was done in-house at FUNimation by Barry Watson's brother, Byron Watson. There was an old video on YouTube which was sadly removed showcasing the editing process led by Byron Watson. He continued to edit the entirety of the show, along with GT and the original Dragon Ball. The title cards were always produced by Ocean Studios, with the exception of the last five or so in the Westwood dub. Those were produced before FUNimation's own dub had even come out for those episodes and as such, FUNimation did not lend Ocean Productions Inc. the master tapes for those episodes and were compensated with using AB Group's own masters (which is the reason for the dirty film, yellow-ish tint, and no on-screen edits), and in turn AB Group created their own title cards which were lacking in detail albeit using a similar looking font.

User avatar
Bananape
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:45 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Bananape » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:18 am

TheBalishChannel wrote:
Bananape wrote:Ocean Productions is listed because FUNimation outsourced the editing to them, for whatever reason. They wouldn't just have them credited for a job they didn't do.

As for the 90's dub, Ocean Studios dubbed the first 53 episodes, and while FUNimation financed the dub along with Saban, I'm pretty sure all production was done by Ocean.
Ocean only provided the voice-overs and I believe the title cards for the first 53 episodes. The editing of the footage to make it more appropriate for it's target audience was done in-house at FUNimation by Barry Watson's brother, Byron Watson. There was an old video on YouTube which was sadly removed showcasing the editing process led by Byron Watson. He continued to edit the entirety of the show, along with GT and the original Dragon Ball. The title cards were always produced by Ocean Studios, with the exception of the last five or so in the Westwood dub. Those were produced before FUNimation's own dub had even come out for those episodes and as such, FUNimation did not lend Ocean Productions Inc. the master tapes for those episodes and were compensated with using AB Group's own masters (which is the reason for the dirty film, yellow-ish tint, and no on-screen edits), and in turn AB Group created their own title cards which were lacking in detail albeit using a similar looking font.
Interesting. But at least now it looks like Ocean Studios can perform their own editing, since they handled editing FUNimation's Z Kai. Quite ironic actually, that FUNimation handled the editing for Ocean's dub of Z while Ocean handled the editing for FUNimation's dub of Z Kai.

User avatar
Kid Buu
I Live Here
Posts: 3974
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:02 am

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:27 am

Richard Ian Cox's acting improved a lot in InuYasha: The Final Act so it'd be interesting to hear him as Goku.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

User avatar
dbboxkaifan
Banned
Posts: 8906
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:18 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:He then told us another interesting tidbit: Back when they dubbed it in the 90's/early 00's, it was considered by most of the cast/crew to be just "another project", but for Kai, he noted that the producers and cast involved were giving the show more time and care than in the original show. Interestingly, he also defended the standard English pronunciation of "Namek (Naa-mek)", and he questioned the producers' decisions to pronounce it as "Naw-mek"; explaining that he knew the show and the Piccolo character for years, and that he felt it should still be pronounced the old way.
More importantly they could fix the improper pronunciation of 'Saiyan' that they started and then FUNimation kept for their dub.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Regular
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:10 pm

So I was at AWA this weekend and while I was getting his autograph McNeil told me who's playing Goku in this dub. I'm not sure if I should reveal who because I don't want to get him in trouble due to NDA's, but I will say that he found the choice odd since the voice is so well-known.

User avatar
Ajay
Moderator
Posts: 6133
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 pm
Location: Surrey, UK
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Ajay » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:26 pm

He already stated he doesn't care for NDAs so I don't think he's bothered either way. I say go ahead! If he's telling fans, I doubt he expects it to be in confidence.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Didn't someone else say they knew a few years back? There was a link to Mega Man Powered Up and it was said Goku's VA was in that game.
Last edited by Valerius Dover on Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

User avatar
90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:35 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:He already stated he doesn't care for NDAs so I don't think he's bothered either way. I say go ahead! If he's telling fans, I doubt he expects it to be in confidence.
I'll second that. He's said on a couple of occasions what he thinks of NDAs and has revealed quite a bit of info, including the existence of the dub itself, so I doubt there's any harm in it.

Guys I know this is unlikely but you don't suppose it's Brian Drummond?

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Regular
Posts: 666
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:43 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:He already stated he doesn't care for NDAs so I don't think he's bothered either way. I say go ahead! If he's telling fans, I doubt he expects it to be in confidence.
You have a point there. All right, I'll tell you guys. But if McNeil gets in trouble and hates me forever, I blame you Ajay. ;)

Anyways, the new Goku for the Ocean dub of Kai is Richard Ian Cox. I think someone in this thread was hoping to hear him play Goku, so if this dub ever gets released I'm sure that person will be really happy!

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Don't know how much merit this holds now, but somebody said back in 2012 that the VA for Goku is MM Powered Up, all made of Blue Water cast.

So, care to spill the beans? Is it one of them? :D

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/vid ... e-by-side/

EDIT: Oh, guess it wasn't one of them. Richard Cox has been in Mega Man before, though. He was BurnerMan in MegaMan NT Warrior Axess.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

theoriginalbilis
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1878
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:33 pm
Location: TX
Contact:

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:48 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:You have a point there. All right, I'll tell you guys. But if McNeil gets in trouble and hates me forever, I blame you Ajay. ;)

Anyways, the new Goku for the Ocean dub of Kai is Richard Ian Cox. I think someone in this thread was hoping to hear him play Goku, so if this dub ever gets released I'm sure that person will be really happy!
I can confirm this is what was said to OmegaRockman, McNeil definitely confirmed during one of his autograph sessions that Richard Ian Cox is the voice of Goku for that production. Here's what OmegaRockman relayed to me when we were both at AWA:
"It's Richard Ian Cox. He says the casting decision was pretty crazy in his opinion considering everyone will recognize him as Inuyasha."
Last edited by theoriginalbilis on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @WillB_Animating Xbox Gamertag: Original Bilis PSN: ChuckleSquirts

User avatar
Valerius Dover
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1924
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Ocean Studios' "Dragon Ball Kai" dub seems to be coming.

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:50 pm

Still, this doesn't tell us when it's happening. I wouldn't see it myself, but I'd be interested to know how it's handled in this day and age, at least.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Post Reply