Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:36 pm

Bananape wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:There is no conspiracy and no special privileges. Let's not be so absolutely ridiculous, here.

I do not see every post. I happened to see that one. If you see material being pirated, report it.
Well I can give you an example:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... start=5520

JEFFMAN219 uploaded YouTube links to Trailer 5 and 6 of the Blu-Rays. And Soul uploaded an interview with Meredith Maulin.
There's no need to post examples. Just report the offending post.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Gutsxgoku
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gutsxgoku » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:25 pm

So I am trying to watch the extended edition on blu ray that I ordered from amazon... It will not play. The Blu-ray Disc will play the theatrical version but the extended will not play at all... I have tried everything from cleaning the disc to trying other players. Does anyone else have this issue? Furious right now.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:46 pm

To the Australian users, Battle of Gods is up on JB HI-FI's site. They're selling it for $32.98 while Mad Man is selling it for $34.95. They're both being released on the same day, 26 of November.

Daimakku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Daimakku » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:56 pm

ABED wrote:Where did you guys order from? I got mine from best buy and it's on back order, I might not get it until next month.
I haven't got the movie yet, but will definitely be getting it from Walmart. Walmart gives you the digital version of the movie for free as a bonus. So why not? Seems like a great deal to me.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:26 pm

The blu ray version of the movie has gone down to 25$ on amazon.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:23 pm

Amazon has the theatrical and director's cut versions for sale and rent on their video service, plus the Japanese director's cut too! I might rent to check out the dub since I have the original release anyway.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:22 am

I watched the Funimtion dub of the extended edition this weekend, and I have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Even at the times when they perhaps veered from the script a little bit and took on a bit of creative license, I thought that it was all purely beneficial to the flow of things. I mean, sometimes people think that bringing an animated feature from one language to another is simply a matter of matching voices actors and having them read the closest possible translation - but so many subtle cultural differences and nuances are overlooked so often. For example - a joke or humorous reference in the Japanese original may just not translate into the English with exact translated wordings, and sometimes domesticating the interplay between characters in the dialogue provides a much more natural and fitting result.

It's also worth remembering that in the Japanese version the chemistry between the voice actors who have worked together for such a long time is a very important part of what makes the ensemble cast so enjoyable together. There are little traces of personality and familiarity with one and other that really helps them to play off of each other, and it's no different with the Funimation cast - only that they're completely different people with totally different personalities and a totally different group chemistry. I think letting a little bit of that chemistry seep through is not only justifiable within creative license, but also quite important in replicating the same sort of fun, enjoyable dynamic and rapport that you feel witnessing the performances of Nozawa et al.

*Zips up flame-proof jacket*
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:09 pm

Yeah, I just watched the dub too... Speaking as someone who actively hates FUNi's dub of the show, I thought it was pretty damn good. I mean yeah, Kaio's voice is awful, some of the incidental lines were a bit overly liberally translated, the "I will not letyoudestroymy WOOOOOOOORLD!!!" line was rather awkward and I didn't quite like how the dialogue near the end of the fight played out, (basically they had Goku repeatedly mentioning how "Oh no this attack will destroy the world, I must stop it!" when in the Japanese version he made no such comments... then again it could be said that the Japanese script might have exaggerated his love for fighting and disregard for everything else a touch. Like, I re-read the manga last year. Goku did openly express concern that Vegeta/Freeza would destroy the world/universe) but all things considered, they did a great job with it.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:28 pm

Not only did I watch the dub for the first time, not only did I watch the extended edition for the first time, but I watched the movie itself for the first time yesterday (I bought tickets to see it in theaters, but had to miss out due to a family emergency).

Gotta say, really enjoyed it! I didn't watch with the subtitles on (I find that I'm not focusing on the acting itself whenever I do that), but I counted only two instances where the script struck me as a tad odd and I found myself saying, "Wait, was that accurate?"

I don't know what I can say that hasn't been said already, to be honest. I suppose my only "problem" with the movie was that it felt a bit inconclusive. I put the word "problem" in quotation marks because it wasn't a very significant problem for me personally. It's just that I fully expected the movie to follow the seemingly sacred formula of a DBZ movie in which the other characters soften the villain up, and then Goku comes in and saves the day. For them to break away from that formula left me..almost shell-shocked. Like, I found it so unexpected that I wasn't even sure how to react. If there wasn't a new series or a new movie coming up, I'd consider BoG to be a fun but ultimately pointless entry in the series.

But, of course, we are getting a new movie....

And that's why I think the inconclusive conclusion was sheer genius. Now that they've broken the formula, I genuinely don't know what to expect--which is something that, at this point, I never thought I'd say about Dragon Ball. It helps to make it feel new again! Which is why, unlike BoG, I will be on the edge of my seat, wondering just what's going to happen, with the next movie. So, I can't wait!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:11 pm

It really does make it feel like a Part One, and I did enjoy that.
And just knowing that Torishima gave approval on Part Two makes me all the more excited for it. (Come on, next week's VJump, give us some news!!)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BojGrass
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BojGrass » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:36 am

Vegard Aune wrote:Yeah, I just watched the dub too... Speaking as someone who actively hates FUNi's dub of the show, I thought it was pretty damn good. I mean yeah, Kaio's voice is awful, some of the incidental lines were a bit overly liberally translated, the "I will not letyoudestroymy WOOOOOOOORLD!!!" line was rather awkward...
This was the only thing I thought was off on the dub too. It seems less of a translation issue and more of a directing issue. It seems to me they were trying to match the way the scene/lip flaps and such right there instead of delivering a good performance to the detriment of the scene.

I was just happy to see the extended cut and to have a domestic release of the movie. Shane FUNination couldn't have remixed the Japanese extended audio into 5.1, but I'm assume g they didn't get the individual tracks to do that.

Actually, there was another thing on the dub side: from a production stand point: did any one find that the vocal track seemed to be lacking "meat" (for lack of a better word) strictly from a tone perspective? Maybe a better word would be that the vocal track seems to have a very nasally tone.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:15 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Like, I found it so unexpected that I wasn't even sure how to react. If there wasn't a new series or a new movie coming up, I'd consider BoG to be a fun but ultimately pointless entry in the series.
What qualifies as not-pointless in a series that, give or take GT, has been over since 1995?
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:00 pm

Bananape wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:There is no conspiracy and no special privileges. Let's not be so absolutely ridiculous, here.

I do not see every post. I happened to see that one. If you see material being pirated, report it.
Well I can give you an example:
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... start=5520

JEFFMAN219 uploaded YouTube links to Trailer 5 and 6 of the Blu-Rays. And Soul uploaded an interview with Meredith Maulin.
I don't see how me posting links of trailers is illegal here.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:52 pm

Does anyone know where I could possibly find Cinema listings for Battle of Gods in the UK? I remember reading about it a good while ago but I can't seem to find any info.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:34 pm

The only listing was for the Scotland Loves Anime festival which is about to end in 3 days. They changed their listing from Japanese w/ Eng subs to English dub only per the request of Manga UK.

Yeah...I was pretty mad. Didn't end up going in the end.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:36 am

Oh man that sucks :( I knew it was gonna be limited but not that limited.

I guess I'll just have to settle for the DVD.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:39 am

Any idea how the sales are going for the Funi home releases, and maybe a worldwide total thus far? Or is it pretty much impossible to tell? I did some minor searching for US numbers and turned up very little.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:44 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Any idea how the sales are going for the Funi home releases, and maybe a worldwide total thus far? Or is it pretty much impossible to tell? I did some minor searching for US numbers and turned up very little.
Haha I actually came here to ask the same question just now. I mean last week it stayed in Amazons top 10 for a while. Had to perform decent I'd believe.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:25 am

BrandonR24 wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Any idea how the sales are going for the Funi home releases, and maybe a worldwide total thus far? Or is it pretty much impossible to tell? I did some minor searching for US numbers and turned up very little.
Haha I actually came here to ask the same question just now. I mean last week it stayed in Amazons top 10 for a while. Had to perform decent I'd believe.
Well, it's the #1 comedy on Amazon. So... that's... something...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/mo ... v_2_3_last

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:13 am

Really in comedy? I guess it was a funny movie.. :shifty: