Do "gags" count? Did they "happen"?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Re: Do "gags" count? Did they "happen"?

Post by rereboy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Hitiro wrote:
rereboy wrote:Goku was shown as having a need to breathe and having a time limit to how much time he can remain underwater. So, no, he can't survive in space for more than a few minutes.

And for his staff to be able to take him to the moon and back in just a few minutes it would have to grow incredibly fast since the moon is 384403 km (238857 miles) away from Earth and it would have to be able to extend to that length.

Not to mention that Boss Rabbit and his human minions also had to be able survive that journey in space and also be able to survive in the moon since they stayed there and lived there from that point on.
Not to mention Boss Rabbit and his henchmen were fine on the moon without oxygen. I'm not sure about Boss Rabbit being able to survive on the moon without oxygen. But his henchmen who were humans definitely wouldn't have been able to survive.
I did mention that...

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:06 pm

rereboy wrote:I did mention that...
My bad, working on little sleep. Been stuck on some problems. :lol:

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:53 pm

No gag feats should not be counted
A HUGE example, look at squirrel girl, she's beaten thanos and dr doom before. She's a literal example of a gag character (especially in the ways she does it)

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:48 pm

Of course gag feats count. There's no such thing as a gag in universe. The problem is that some people accept them without thinking about outliers e.g. Mr. Satan dodging kid buu's punches. The gun feat is an outlier (specifically pis) because: Mark consistently survives getting punched through walls, is undefeated in the budokai, and survived an encounter with Tao Pai Pai. IIRC Mark was shot in the back of the head too.

Also the boss rabbit thing did happen because Toriyama references them in an interview
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z
Current Roshi/Kulilin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SSJ3 Gotenks

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:24 pm

xmysticgohanx wrote:Of course gag feats count. There's no such thing as a gag in universe. The problem is that some people accept them without thinking about outliers e.g. Mr. Satan dodging kid buu's punches. The gun feat is an outlier (specifically pis) because: Mark consistently survives getting punched through walls, is undefeated in the budokai, and survived an encounter with Tao Pai Pai. IIRC Mark was shot in the back of the head too.

Also the boss rabbit thing did happen because Toriyama references them in an interview
Whether they happened or not is irrelevant. What really matters is whether or not they should count towards feats, and in that regard I say no, they shouldn't. Mr. Satan's a strong human, but a normal human all the same, with nothing overly special about him whatsoever, certainly nothing to explain the hits he's taken or a lot of the other things he's been shown done or having had happen to him. Likewise, even though the scene "existed", we can't take the scene with Carrot and his gang on the moon seriously, because even though one could argue to death that Carrot might be able to since he's not human, his henchmen are, so obviously that scene is also a gag.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:35 am

I think that it doesn't matter if something is a gag or not. Goku took the rabbit gang to the moon and although it is a gag, it did actually happen. So yah you could count them if you like, but some people might not accept them if you use them as feats. It just depends on the person if they want to accept it or just brush it off as a joke.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:34 pm

Brushing things off as jokes is really subjective
Canon is Jaco, Dragon Ball except for EoZ, Dragon Ball Super anime and manga (both are separate canons)
Kai >>> Z

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:42 pm

Only if you compare with other related DB gag manga's I guess, cause if you compare gags with the anime or manga continuation of DB than at certain points. It will same that early DB characters are more powerful than later Frieza Saga characters, looking at feats. Freeza saga characters have Power level multipliers packing them yet their feats aren't as impressive as some early DB Gags.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:00 pm

When I read the title I remebered this right away

Gags are just for laugh purposes. i don't take them seriously.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

xmysticgohanx
Regular

Post by xmysticgohanx » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:39 pm

Friezacooler wrote:Only if you compare with other related DB gag manga's I guess, cause if you compare gags with the anime or manga continuation of DB than at certain points. It will same that early DB characters are more powerful than later Freeza Saga characters, looking at feats. Freeza saga characters have Power level multipliers packing them yet their feats aren't as impressive as some early DB Gags.
No DB feat is more impressive than Freeza arc feats.
FortuneSSJ wrote:When I read the title I remebered this right away

Gags are just for laugh purposes. i don't take them seriously.
Considering Beerus is a solar system buster, that feat is cake.
Kai >>> Z

mister yummy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by mister yummy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:42 am

Zephyr wrote:Perhaps in moments of extreme desperation and hopelessness, Mr. Satan is able to access what ki he does have, in a defensive manner, without actually realizing what's going on?
For instance, after episodes of trying and failing, Mr. Satan is able to fly without realising he's doing so when told his daughter is dead.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:04 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Gags are just for laugh purposes. i don't take them seriously.
So then what actually happened in that scene with Beerus? Are the planets all still there?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:06 am

Zephyr wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Gags are just for laugh purposes. i don't take them seriously.
So then what actually happened in that scene with Beerus? Are the planets all still there?
Sure, why not? I mean, how many times has Arale cracked the Earth in half?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:11 am

I believe zero, in Dragon Ball.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:15 am

Zephyr wrote:I believe zero, in Dragon Ball.
Does that really matter? We're talking about gag feats from gag characters in a gag event by the same gag author.
If the question is "do they happen," then the only answer that makes sense is "sure, kinda, I guess, but not really." They just don't mean anything. They are temporary transcendence of the rules of the series, and have no bearing on what a character is capable of. Lunch does not have the power to materialize guns at will upon transforming, Goku's mouth doesn't get 5 times bigger when he bites someone, and Krillin doesn't have magical bullet-hole regenerating powers.
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:21 am

But for Beerus to be able to do any of that doesn't break any rules that we know of, so I don't see a reason to compare that to Earth being split.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:23 am

xmysticgohanx: No DB feat is more impressive than Freeza arc feats.

Gag feat DB Manga volume 1 chapter 008 page 14: Goku using Jan-ken to slap Yamcha across breaking the manga panel, is more impressive than what Saiyan saga and Frieza saga characters have shown I guess. even proves yamcha's durability was even more impressive than later chapters. They made slight change in the DB anime and down scaled that feat into Yamcha hitting a very dense unbreakable pillar. Still I haven't seen any similar gag feat through later DB or DBZ chapters except Dr slump characters doing similar feat. Only way Saiyan saga characters and above are stronger is by ignoring this gag feat
As never happened even-though it is clearly in the manga. Non of the DBZ power levels could achieve such feat, and DBGT characters with 'hype' e,g Omega shenron can break through all realms. By hype he might be able to do so, but power level multiplier wise I am not sure, but still feat-wise he hasn't been proven to be capable of such thing, so kid Goku breaking the manga panel is more impressive I guess.

Gags are just for laugh purposes. i don't take them seriously.[/quote]
Considering Beerus is a solar system buster, that feat is cake.[/quote]
Last edited by Friezacooler on Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:26 am

Saiga wrote:But for Beerus to be able to do any of that doesn't break any rules that we know of, so I don't see a reason to compare that to Earth being split.
True, but it is clearly a gag scene. If he were to do it in a non-gag context, then sure, I wouldn't have a problem with it. As it stands now, it falls in the same category as the aforementioned Earthsplitting scene, and shouldn't be used as a legitimate feat.

It isn't even really necessary anyway, since we see Goku doing similar damage to Kaio's planet, and Beerus is much stronger than he is, so we know he should be able to do something akin to that.
Malik_DBNA wrote:

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:29 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Saiga wrote:But for Beerus to be able to do any of that doesn't break any rules that we know of, so I don't see a reason to compare that to Earth being split.
True, but it is clearly a gag scene. If he were to do it in a non-gag context, then sure, I wouldn't have a problem with it. As it stands now, it falls in the same category as the aforementioned Earthsplitting scene, and shouldn't be used as a legitimate feat.

It isn't even really necessary anyway, since we see Goku doing similar damage to Kaio's planet, and Beerus is much stronger than he is, so we know he should be able to do something akin to that.
Which is why I don't see the point in saying it doesn't count because it's a gag thing. If it's something a character is actually capable of doing, I don't see why it needs to be written off completely. Not all gags need to be lumped into the same category if there's a clear difference between them.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:32 am

Saiga wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:

Which is why I don't see the point in saying it doesn't count because it's a gag thing. If it's something a character is actually capable of doing, I don't see why it needs to be written off completely. Not all gags need to be lumped into the same category if there's a clear difference between them.
I don't like drawing arbitrary lines. As far as I'm concerned, if it's a gag feat, then it doesn't count. Otherwise, you get into arguements about implications, and statements, and scaling, and whatnot. It's much easier to just cut out gag feats in general.

As for this example, Beerus could clearly destroy a planet. But could he destroy that many in quick succession like that just by running into them? I doubt it, because planets don't work like that. You can't destroy a planet by knocking a hole the size of a person through it.
Malik_DBNA wrote: