DB/Western Comics crossover?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: DB/Western Comics crossover?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:48 am

dbzfan7 wrote:Didn't we have something in Wizard Magazine as a crossover fight?
They did a whole West meets East thing back in 2001 or 2002. The fight that they did with Goku vs. Superman started the whole debate between the two characters since the readers felt like Wizard didn't give a good fight between the two since DC and AT had nothing to do with the battle.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:27 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
They did a whole West meets East thing back in 2001 or 2002. The fight that they did with Goku vs. Superman started the whole debate between the two characters since the readers felt like Wizard didn't give a good fight between the two since DC and AT had nothing to do with the battle.
Well, at least we know who to blame now.

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:02 am

ImmaDeker wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Well, at least we know who to blame now.
I remember this being discussed online plenty FAR before that.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:07 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Yeah but didn't they need approval from Toei and Warner to use these characters?
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:14 am

I remember reading that in Wizard back in the day. I of course thought Goku could win, then again I knew next to nothing about Superman (besides what I saw in a few cartoon episodes on TV). So it more of a popularity contest for me as opposed to an objective comparison of strength and speed feats.

In case anyone is curious, here it is: http://imgur.com/gallery/KJDfLN0

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:05 am

Naw, I don't like stuff like this. I think that it's better, if people do what they do best (Asia x Western).
I do refer to both western comics and manga as comics when speaking with someone. But as I am watching US movie based on Asian work (Jesus Christ, I didn't saw a good remake of foreign stuff from Holywood ever)
or Japanese manga based on western counterpart, like Batman for example, it doesn't work for me. Never was fan of crossovers either, they are simply for fun, but I've never encountered crossover that I enjoy.
I am huge fan of Mortal Kombat and DC Comics... that game for me had horrible story, didn't like the watered down MK stuff (SF vs Tekken - I seriously don't know why I bought the game)...
I saw those anime Marvel series (not all, few episodes), I couldn't stand it. I didn't even like Cross Epoch nor OPxDBxToriko special.

So for DB crossover with Superman for example or anything else, please NO. Story will be bland, artstyle is limited on Akira Toriyama's one, because otherwise it will look weird as drawn by Jim Lee for example.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Mr.Judge
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr.Judge » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:53 am

Dbzk1999 wrote:
1. Can roshi escape a black hole?
2. Considering thor has been able to physically hurt galactus with his strikes, yes he should be able to bonk their heads off (IF and I mean IF he could hit them, and
3. he HAS thrown mjolnir to the end if the galaxy before I believe)
if you want to make this vs fan fiction, then its better this discussion occurs in the in universe section all purpose vs thread. There is not a single character below council elite(marvel) that is capable of destroying planets which sustain atmosphere and have high gravity by just pointing a single finger like what Freeza did to Saiya-jin home world.

Click here for thor debate and further discussion .

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:55 pm

What about Goku being a DLC guest fighter for a possible Injustice 2? I would imagine NRS would have to work things out with Funimation and Shueisha. I would like to see what type of Western comic book design that Jim Lee would do with Goku like he did with Scorpion.
MCDaveG wrote:Jesus Christ, I didn't saw a good remake of foreign stuff from Holywood ever
I take it that you never saw The Magnificent Seven or unless you are talking about something more recent. The Ring (2002), The Departed (2006) and Godzilla (2014) were decent Asian adaptions in my opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:44 pm

MarcFBR wrote:
I remember this being discussed online plenty FAR before that.
That's upsetting.

It's a shame that if a crossover DID happen, it'd have to be pandering MEGAPUNCHES bullshit rather than inventive uses of the two settings.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:08 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:What about Goku being a DLC guest fighter for a possible Injustice 2? I would imagine NRS would have to work things out with Funimation and Shueisha. I would like to see what type of Western comic book design that Jim Lee would do with Goku like he did with Scorpion.
MCDaveG wrote:Jesus Christ, I didn't saw a good remake of foreign stuff from Holywood ever
I take it that you never saw The Magnificent Seven or unless you are talking about something more recent. The Ring (2002), The Departed (2006) and Godzilla (2014) were decent Asian adaptions in my opinion.
From those, I actually liked only the Magnificent Seven, tough I liked Seven Samurai a lot more. No one can top Toshiro Mifune. But this particular movie is loose adaptation in my opinion in same way Star Wars adapted lots of source materials.
The other three, originals are way better. Godzilla was bearable as I liked the kaiju segments but didn't like those family and people segments, they were so cliché and boring.
So I still stand tight in my opinion, remakes for me are simply pointless when I can watch the original. OK, I can at least aknowledge that they are done for a reason to present it to an average movie goer and cash some more money.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:33 am

From what I hear, everyone I know who saw "Three Men and a Baby" say they loved it. Don't know anyone who saw the French original.

On topic, with the AoT/Marvel thing, I'd like to see it animated as due to previous experience I think the Marvel heroes could handle the Titans better than the zip-line guys with swords and with fewer civilian casualties and property damage, along with guys like Spidey who normally hold back to cut loose with or without world of cardboard speeches. And four words to sum things up: HULK SMASH PUNY TITANS!

With DBZ, know some things won't work as well, and challenge would have to be broken characters like the evil Superboy Prime from Infinite Crisis. Though have to ask, does anyone else think that a Spirit Bomb powered by the entire Lantern Corps would be awesome?

Aside from that only things I could see of Japanese and American comics crossover working would be Usagi Yojimbo and Rurouni Kenshin. Though with those, species aside, would have to explain time-gap or ignored a la the Aladdin/Hercules thing Disney did.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:14 am

Super Sonic wrote: On topic, with the AoT/Marvel thing, I'd like to see it animated as due to previous experience I think the Marvel heroes could handle the Titans better than the zip-line guys with swords and with fewer civilian casualties and property damage, along with guys like Spidey who normally hold back to cut loose with or without world of cardboard speeches. And four words to sum things up: HULK SMASH PUNY TITANS!

With DBZ, know some things won't work as well, and challenge would have to be broken characters like the evil Superboy Prime from Infinite Crisis. Though have to ask, does anyone else think that a Spirit Bomb powered by the entire Lantern Corps would be awesome?
It's really telling that actual ideas for stories never fucking come up.