Language Survey 2014 [COMPLETE]

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Re: Language Survey 2014

Post by sailorspazz » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:00 pm

Default version for me is Japanese. Have also watched Funimation's dubs in their entirety for comparison/completion, but will always prefer the original over their efforts (though they've shown great improvement in Kai and Battle of Gods, they can never replace the Japanese version).
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:03 pm

I think comparing the original Japanese version to the English dub (or any other foreign language media really) is extremely subjective since the languages are obviously quite different, so a neutral perspective should be used. For example, a few of the Japanese voice actors would sound pretty bad if their recorded dialogue was somehow converted into English, and some would even sound better. Vice versa for the dubs. Honestly the voice acting skill gap between the Japanese cast and the English casts isn't nearly as large as some purists make it out to be. The Ocean cast are all industry veterans who've also had Live action/Hollywood roles etc and the FUNi cast have all greatly grown as voice actors over time.
Gaffer Tape wrote:Yeah, while I agree with your assertion that it's like a whole other show entirely, I feel compelled to throw out a "citation needed" for the rest. I was under the impression that, aside from English-language fans of DBZ, the dub of DBZ was seen as a low-quality (both in translation and production) relic that even the cast admits was pretty damned bad.
The original (and most popular) FUNi dub was lacking compared to the Japanese version in terms of overall quality, but i'm sure there were a lot of fans from other countries who appreciated the Faulconer score and it's musical creativity, or any of the other English replacement scores. The fact nearly all the English dubs got replacement scores (a few on par musically with the Japanese ones) indicates a little more production effort was put into them compared to the other language dubs. Of coarse this is excluding the Big Green and Malaysian-English dub atrocities.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote:The original (and most popular) FUNi dub was lacking compared to the Japanese version in terms of overall quality, but i'm sure there were a lot of fans from other countries who appreciated the Faulconer score and it's musical creativity, or any of the other English replacement scores. The fact nearly all the English dubs got replacement scores (a few on par musically with the Japanese ones) indicates a little more production effort was put into them compared to the other language dubs. Of coarse this is excluding the Big Green and Malaysian-English dub atrocities.
I disagree: people may sometimes recognise the Funi dub voices because of the videogames, but very few have seen or care about the English dub of the series outside the English-speaking world, let alone its replacement scores (it's understandable given that DB has been translated to many languages, and not using the English version as a base).

The only comments about the Faulconer soundtrack (or replacement soundtracks in general, since I've read a few of them about Shuki Levy's score too) coming from people who haven't grown up with it I've read were all negative (or maybe 95% of them).

(And this is coming from someone who doesn't like Faulconer's music as background music for DBZ, but does like it as music on its own right)
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:12 pm

While I don't see an issue tossing some editorializing into your response, let's try to keep the back-and-forth conversation to a minimum. The thread's purpose seems to be to collect responses and to do so easily, so if there is a larger conversation you would like to take part in, by all means contribute to a separate on-going one or create a new one entirely.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:18 pm

I guess I'll throw my name in the hat for English (Ocean/Westwood) as I enjoy their stuff most. I do also watch my Dragon Box (Japanese) and Funi movies but overall I'de go with Ocean in terms of personal enjoyability and nostalgia.
AjayLikesGaming wrote:
LordCrumb wrote:Where can you even watch it though? I've searched online for ages. I guess only Canadians can watch it on TV.
It's out there...or it was a few years ago when I first came across it at least. It's a collection of VHS rips from various countries that got the dub. Obviously I can't provide you with any links publicly (or even privately due to uh...site issues).

I just kept it for old time's sake. It's quite nice to have on in the background when I'm doing other things. I've often considered creating a Dragon Box version using the audio but the amount of editing and syncing required just isn't worth my time. I don't care enough about the show in English to dedicate the hours (days, weeks).
Dragonbox remasters of the Ocean dub have already been done.
Last edited by NitroEX on Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ShaneisMC
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaneisMC » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:32 pm

Without a doubt, English Kai is ballin. :p So yeah, that. though i of course grew up on toonami an such with the og version. I've really really grown to like Funi Kai very much. Though i must say i dont think i would ever want anyone other than Stephanie to play young Goku. Thats very iconic to me. I've also grown to either like or at least respect many aspects of the Japanese version as well.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:46 pm

Original Japanese is the best for me. I've also seen the show in it's entirety in English and Latino Spanish. I've also seen the Kid Boo Arc in German and French.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Original japanese for me. I have seen in Portuguese BR and English.
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:48 pm

Funi's Kai dub: My favorite way to watch the show. I can't go back to the old dub. I've come too far.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:50 pm

Original japanese and latin american spanish dub for me. If I want to watch something now, I watch the japanese version, but the LatAm dub will always have a special place in my heart!
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Chronic_mcduffin

Post by Chronic_mcduffin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:16 pm

I primarily watch the Japanese version of Z with English subs.
:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:08 pm

I watch all of Dragon Ball in Japanese with English subs.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:47 pm

I only watch the funimation dub and the Kai dub for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:25 pm

I saw DB in English and Japanese but Spanish (Mexican) is my favorite one!!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:32 pm

Japanese with english subtitles.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:11 pm

Sorry the late update. I was busy moving back home for Christmas alongside finishing up some final assignments for university.

Everything is all up to date now. Thanks to everyone for submitting their choices.

There's still a few members who have yet to submit so hopefully they'll get a chance to soon enough. Either way, I'm quite happy with the sample size.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

thelittlethings

Post by thelittlethings » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Japanese version. :)

ParkerAL
Regular

Post by ParkerAL » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:27 pm

English (FUNi Kai)

I haven't gotten around to actually collecting a complete Dragon Ball release, and I eventually intend to watch it all the way through with the Japanese voices, but right now, if I want to watch a clip from the series on YouTube, it will be the Kai dub most of the time.
Favorite Movies: Alien, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, The Thing, Evil Dead, The Land Before Time
Favorite Shows: Cardcaptor Sakura, Doctor Who, Wallace and Gromit, Wakfu, Yu Yu Hakusho
Favorite Manga: Fullmetal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Dragon Ball
Augenis wrote:The power level view into the series has trained a significant portion of the fan base into real life stereotypical members of the Freeza empire, where each and every individual is reduced to a floating number above their heads and any sudden changes to said number are met with shock and confusion.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:33 am

I watch only the original show with English or Polish subtitles. Voices, acting quality and the dynamics, expression, power and sharpness of the Japanese language are irreplaceable.

Thouser
Beyond Newbie

Post by Thouser » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:49 am

I watch it in Japanese.
"Like that bald punk? Killyin... You're talking about Killyin?!!" - Anime Labs

「他们並不是我孫兒... 是我弟弟。」 - 龜仙人