Rank the DBZ Movie villains from favorite to least favorite

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Rank the DBZ Movie villains from favorite to least favorite

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:42 pm

With Revial of F coming out, how would you rank the DBZ movie villains from your personal favorite to least favorite. You can add ones from TV specials and OVA's you want:

Mine would be:

- Beerus: I love everything about him. He had a cool design, good personality and was a very fun villain. I hope he has a major role in Revival of F then just a cameo. I also like that Beerus did not transform since I felt like transformations in the DBZ movies felt over redundant in my opinion.

- Janemba: He may have no character development, but he is a guilty pleasure to me. I like Janemba a lot because he has a great design and he was a enjoyable villain to watch. He caused Otherworld into utter chaos and broke out Hell on Earth just for his personal fun and games. He was a crazy villain that threw everything out of balance for lulz. It's a shame that his fight with Gogeta was so short and it was not a decent battle like it was with Vegito vs. Buu.

- Hirudegarn: I always liked Hirudegarn because he was a giant monster which is something DBZ rarely has. I always liked his back story with Tapion and was overall a neat villain in the series. I wish he didn't die from a attack that came out of nowhere.

- Dr. Uiro (Dr. Wheelo): I always like Dr. Uiro because I always find him unique out of the other DBZ villains we had. He stands out from the other movie villains and he hardly has any fans. I like Dr. Uiro for his unique design and he had a cool backstory. I like his goal to put his brain into the ultimate body and modified the human race into cyber mutants his science (Funny to think that Dr. Myuu from GT was a rehash until now). I also liked that we never saw his original human body and made you think what his original life was like.

- Garlic Jr.: His saga may sucked but I like him as a character in DBZ Movie 1. He was the first villain to be immortal, he was defeated by someone else other then Goku and I like his backstory with Kami. Garlic Jr was a fun villain with a cool backstory and I think more people would like him if his saga never sucked.

- Coola: He may been a water down version of his brother but I find Coola fun. If he had proper development then he would have been a good villain like his brother was. His 5th form is one of the coolest villain designs in the series in my opinion.

- Tullece: Tullece was hit or miss for me. I like the idea to show what Goku could have been if he never hit his head but I wish he was freshen out more in the movie. I find him pretty forgettable and I sometimes forget that he exist.

- Broli: Broli would have been a good villain if they was written better. I never cared for him because he had very little character development to the point that it makes me wonder what people even like about him. They could have explore into his past and shown why he went crazy but instead we found out that he went crazy because Goku was crying too loud next to him. Movie 10 Broli is even worst since he screams the same world over and over again.

- Bojack: I like the idea of a space pirate gang but the idea was poorly done. Bojack felt like another typical DBZ bad guy and would become predictable at a point where you know that he is going to transform into a super buff up form that we seen before with other DBZ villains. I remember he came to Earth to take over it and that was it. I also found his back story to make nonsense since how was King Kai able to stop him if King Kai is weaker then Nappa?

- Aka: I think Kado and Abo together are fun but Aka himself is pretty boring. He is just a fusion of two other characters that form into one bigger character. I give them credit for not killing him off since he is the first movie/special villain that didn't get killed off since Garlic Jr.

- Metal Coola: Just a water down version of Cyber Freeza. Nothing too special about him other then he is a sliver metallic repaint of his 4th form and he can adapt to on whatever kills him the first time.

- Super 13: I never liked Super 13 at all. I find his character design silly and his design feels like he was design from a DBZ fan that was a 10 year old. He also felt like a poor man's version of Cell too in my opinion.

- Lord Slug: Just a poor rehash of Piccolo Daimao.

- Dr. Raichi/Hatchiyack: I put them both on the list together since they both sucked in my opinion. Dr. Raichi hating the Saiyans was hardly fresh out and Hatchiyack is just another typical DBZ villain. I can see why fans hardly talk about Hatchiyack since he is nothing special at all.

- Chilled: Just a boring version of Freeza. Next please!

- Bio Broli: What I can say about him that has not been said? I think Bio Broli is probably the most hated character in the franchise. I rarely see fans say nice things about him and I think he has little to no merchandise at all. He has yet to appear in any DBZ games outside of Heroes.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Rank the DBZ Movie villains from favorite to least favor

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:33 pm

Garlic Jr: I liked the fact he was sort of like a darker, more evil version of Pilaf. His transformation from dwarf to huge buff monster was pretty cool.

Dr. Wheelo: I originally never saw World's Strongest and i've only seen Youtube clips recently, but he seemed like a strange (but still nice) choice for a villain.

Turles: A good concept (evil Goku lookalike). My only complaint is they could have fleshed out his background a little more. As it stands he's just some evil Saiyan who looks like Goku, with nothing else explained about him.

Lord Slug: I like that we got to see another evil Namekian after the Namek saga where all the Namekians were portrayed as good and innoncent.

Cooler: Cooler than Freeza.

Meta Cooler: A real "meh" villain. Don't like the concept nor do i hate it.

Super 13: Making the redneck Android suddenly transform into this super strong blue monster seemed kind of random to me.

Broly: Pretty much the reason why people think Dragon Ball is for dumb roidheads. Awful film, no personality whatsoever and just another reason to wank the whole Super Saiyan concept.

Bojack: Like World's Strongest, i never originally saw his movie when i was growing up and i've only seen Youtube clips since, although he seems like a decent character.

Broly Again: No.

Bio-Broly: Terrible movie but the artificial Broly concept was pretty interesting.

Janemba: No personality whatsoever and just a Buu rehash, but he's badass, and that's kind of all that matters.

Hirudegarn: Never seen annything from his movie but he looks like a neat villain.

Beerus: A decent concept but his fanboys are worse than Brolytards.

My ranking is:
1. Turles
2. Cooler
3. Janemba
4. Hirudegarn
5. Lord Slug
6. Dr. Wheelo
7. Bojack
8. Garlic Jr
9. Beerus
10. Super 13
11. Meta Cooler
12. Bio-Broly
13. Broly
14. Broly Again

My ranking of the henchmen would be:
1. Garlic's henchmen
2. Tullece Crusher Corps
3. Slug's henchmen
4. Cooler's armoured squadron
5. Dr Wheelo's Bio-warriors
6. Bojack's gang
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Ever since the last thread about this topic I've been waiting for some reason why Metal Cooler is a ripoff of Mecha Freeza, asider from "Alien is now a cyborg." Seriously, they have practically nothing in common beyond that.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Cooler
Beerus
Dr. Wheelo
Garlic Jr.
Bojack
Broly
Super 13
Tullece
Janemba
Lord Slug
Meta Cooler
Bio-Broly
Hirudegarn
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:01 am

I like almost all of them design-wise. Personality-wise... well, half of them don't have much of one. So I'll go by design/concept mostly. XD

Beerus, Slug, Hirudegarn, and *gasp* Broly all probably being near the top for me. Broly in base form is actually a really interesting design as far as Saiyans go. I know it's all down to the mind-control crown but it's so weird to see a calm-looking Saiyan for once, no perma-angry-eyebrows on the guy until he breaks free of Paragus' control (I recently saw the Broly movie when they aired it on Cartoon Network... I still don't get how some people can think the Japanese soundtrack actually fits DBZ, a few scenes aside, but seeing him in motion outside the video games, especially in "non-crazy" base form, made me realize how much I actually like Broly's design.) Some kind of "what if he never went crazy" Broly would be a pretty interesting character to see in some alternate universe.

Least favorite... Cooler is like a boring-er version of Freeza (design-wise; personality-wise he's a bit different) until he goes into his 5th form which redeems him. Meta Cooler's the same way--endless robo-clones have a bland design (like regular Cooler, but metal!) but the body inside the Big Gete Star from the final battle is more interesting. Garlic Jr. is a bit too similar to Pilaf, but they managed to make one blue elf midget seem far more threatening than the other just from his facial expressions and such so I'd consider him a good design too (and Pilaf never goes all 'roid-ragey as far as we see, so that's another difference.)

Everyone not mentioned... somewhere in between the two groups. Super 13 toward the low end, Janemba, Dr. Wheelo, and base (with full pirate outfit) Bojack toward the top.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:38 am

1. Beerus:
I don't have words to articulate how much I love Beerus as an antagonist. The character, as well as his interactions with Whis, are just lovable. I was wary of him at first because his design was kind of new to the franchise, and the poster's Babidi eyes didn't help, but seeing him in action quickly resolved that.

2. Chilled:
Similar to Beerus, his design was initially off-putting to me. He looked very dated in his old leotard looking armor, but that seemed a nice fit once we learned it was 1000 years in the past. His childish personality just sealed the whole package for me. He may not have a lot of character to him, but I love what we got. I've very disappointed we haven't had him in a game yet.

3. Janemba:
There isn't much to him, but he does look cool and has some nice, unique abilities.

4. Coola:
As has been mentioned, he's basically a less developed version of Freeza, but I really like Freeza, sooo...yeah. Both his designs are pretty cool, the transformation more so than the original. THAT MASK.

5. Hirudegarn:
The giant kaiju-like aspect and his lore are really his only saving graces. The movie was alright, as was his original design. But that metamorphosis into the bug motif...? Eh.

6. Broli:
I actually like everything about Broli other than his A) "Legendary" Super Saiyan state. He was much better in his smaller, original frame. B) His apparent talent to drastically lose brain cells between each appearance. He wasn't bad in Movie 8, but he was barely a character by Movie 10. C) A certain section of his fanbase, but that's an entirely different discussion. They could also stand to write the reason for his mental illness a bit better, but I guess I can live with just "crying drove me crazy".

6. Tullece:
The concept was nice, but I wish they had written him a little better. He could have really done without Goku's hair too. Keep the face for the nice little hint that he's like what Goku would have been like if he hadn't hit his head, but he needed different hair style to differentiate him more.

7. Bojack:
Design was pretty nice and the setting for his film was cool too. He could have done with a different personality though, as well as nixing the transformation and just having him be that powerful from the beginning (or weaker but having more skillful techniques like the paralyzing threads his minions used).

8. Aka:
Aka is kinda forgettable as a character. Abo and Kado were much better off separately. They could have just skipped him and his Wahaha no Ha moment for some sort of gag ending from the brothers, as the whole point of the special was that they weren't really important in the wake of Buu.

10. Hatchiyack:
Kinda cool design which I originally didn't feel looked like it belonged in Dragon Ball. I still kinda don't. It's different in its own way, but I suppose that isn't a bad thing. He really isn't a character though. He's like Movie 10 Broli, but worse. At least it took a little creativity to defeat him, instead of the sun or a Genki Dama. Honorable mention that Rachi doesn't feel special either, though I do like the Revenge on the Saiyan's aspect from the Tsufruian side. It was original at the time, since the first version predated GT.

11. Lord Slug:
The only reasy he's this high up is because of his design. Actually kinda like the look of this buffer Namekian. His personality and movie are boring though. I loved him in Abridged, but that doesn't count.

12. Mecha Coola:
I don't really have an opinion. He's just a mechanical version of Coola's original form. I guess he looks cool (cooler than Mecha Freeza), but the rest is kinda meh.

13. Garlic Jr.:
I don't really like either of his designs, but I do really like his movie and lore. Junior himself is just too annoying though.

14. Dr. Uiro:
His movie has some cool moment's I just don't really like his design or personality. I don't know what it is, but he just doesn't appeal to me that much.

15. Jinzoningen 13:
Again, fairly "meh". He has little personality. The design isn't that interesting and his transformation makes it worse.

16. Bio Broli:
Ugh...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:53 am

Ill do top 2 and worst 2 since the rest are just "meh" to me.

1. Beerus. Although not really a villain per say. I love his personality. It makes sense that someone with this power and job would behave this way. As a character I think he's great, but to me his most notable achievement is expanding the Dragon Universe.

2. Dr. Wheelo. The OG Dr. Gero, and done much better in my opinion. He had pretty clever plan with a clear motivation. A lot of villains motivations are pretty murky(especially in the movies), but this guy is straight to the point. He just has a huge ego and is willing to do anything to accomplish his goals. It's funny, he is locked in a robot shell as a prison. But to be honest, even if he attained Goku's body, I still don't think he'd be satisfied.

Honorable mentions: Freeza. He hasn't come out yet but come on! It's Furiza-sama! and Tullece. I like the idea of an evil Goku, it's just a shame he wasn't developed in any significant way or gave insight into Goku's psyche. He's not even really an opposite.

Worst.
1. Bio-Broly: He was just Broly without the personality. I don't hate Broly like others do, but this version I feel sucks everything interesting out of the character.
2. Bojack. I know a lot of you will disagree. But I found this guy to be so bland. There are things I like about him. I think he's the most dishonorable fighter of the movie villains. But his plan and motivation's just never interested me in the slightest. Great movie though.

Cooler, Lord Slug and Janemba are cool. But they are just copies of Freeza, Piccolo Daimaoh and Pure Boo respectively.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:56 am

I find Bojack bland as well. It's a shame since the idea of a space pirate gang sounds awesome.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:08 am

I think their personality's are more like Space Pirates, but at least Tullece's gang acted more like it. They hijacked a planet.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:15 am

I like everything that has to do with pure Saiyans. So, I like Broly ( not the story itself ) and Tullece. I'm a Pure Saiyan fanatic.

Beerus is a very good character, I like it a lot.

Cooler and Meta Cooler looks very tough, much more than Freeza.

Bojack. The idea of a space pirate is always interesting.

Janemba looks evil but he do not know how to fight well.

Is always interesting to have a giant monster like Hildegarn.

There's something I like about Super 13 and is the brutal manner in which he hits his opponents.

Hatchiyack is so so. I liked when he gave very strong repeated blows to Gohan.

The only interesting thing that Lord Slug have is that he's a super Namek fighter.

I don't like so much Garlic Jr but another family of evil is good.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:56 pm

1) Beerus -The most original Dragon Ball character conceived since Freeza's debut. Everything about is just crazy awesome and he's a surprisingly well rounded and likable guy as well. I wound't mind inviting him to parties. :P

2) Janemba - Great design and has some of the most spectacular abilities the Dragon Ball franchise has ever seen. Zero character or personality though.

3) Broly - Flat character but so fucking badass it's hard to ignore.

4) Cooler - Freeza with less personality but far more pragmatic and has the most badass final form ever.

5) Hirudegarn - I love the mystique about him but his giant bug like final form is kind weird even by Dragon Ball standards.

6) - 12) Every other major Dragon Ball Z movie villain. Android 13, Lord Slug, Turles, Android 13 etc. They were all pretty much the same generic doomsday villains without any unique or distinguishable features or background, save Garlic Jr and Bojack. Any movie villain out of my top five is pretty irrelevant to me and not even worth ranking. However, special mention must be made of...

13) Bio-Broly - The worst thing the Dragon Ball franchise has ever produced. And that is saying a lot.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:37 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote: 6. Tullece:
He could have really done without Goku's hair too. Keep the face for the nice little hint that he's like what Goku would have been like if he hadn't hit his head, but he needed different hair style to differentiate him more.
Well to be fair he had a much darker skin tone, which sort of makes him look like Goku's evil Mexican cousin or something
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:49 pm

That just makes him look like Goku in an eternal night setting. Honestly, the concept art for him with the alternate hair on his poster was much better IMO.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:51 pm

#1 favourite movie villan goes to Beerus, singlehandle the rest of the movie villans (in terms of design and character). Freeza looks like an interesting option for the #1 but we will have to wait until the movie comes out. Both of them are on my top favourite DB antagonists with only a very little gap between each other (right now Beerus is #1).
#2 Janemba, kind of a guilty pleasure, it is like Majin Boo for me.
#3 Hildergand, cause you don´t see too many kaijus in DragonBall.

#4-14 doesn´t matter
#15-17 All Broly´s incarnations
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:30 am

1. Beerus
2. Hirudegarn
3. Janemba
4. Tullece
5. Broly
6. Cooler
7. Dr. Wheelo
8. Bojack
9. Meta-Cooler
10. Super 13
11. Garlic Jr.
12. Lord Slug
13. Bio-Broly

The top 5 I truly like, 6-9 are average, and 10-13 are idiotic and terrible. Especially Bio-Broly, that was the worst thing I've ever seen.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.