Why does Cell have wings?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Logan
Not-So-Newbie

Why does Cell have wings?

Post by Logan » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:42 pm

At no point does Cell make use of his wings, instead relying on bukujutsu to get around. My only guess is that the computer designed him that way so he could be airborne without consuming or revealing his ki via bukujutsu. But then his imperfect form is without wings, so it kind of throws that theory out the window.

Any answers given from the guides?
There is no Dragon Ball canon.

Captain Sauza
Beyond Newbie

Re: Why does Cell have wings?

Post by Captain Sauza » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:43 pm

Red Bull was probably one of the ingredients of the liquid that Cell was floating in during development.
"We are Cooler's Armored Squadron!" *performs Sauza fighting pose*

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:56 pm

Interviewer: Toriyama-san, all of Cell's forms have wings except the second one. Why?

AT: It doesn't?? I actually forgot to draw them. (laughs)

^I totally just made that up but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the truth.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:59 pm

There's no great, overarching answer to this question. It's just a design Toriyama thought was cool.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:06 pm

Logan wrote:Any answers given from the guides?
No.

I suppose it's theoretically possible that having those wings really does somehow help him fly better, even if he's presumably just using his ki to fly around like all the wingless characters do. Bukujutsu is supposed to work by expelling ki from your body to lift you up and zip you around (basically a more controlled version of Goku's early series trick of using the Kamehameha to propel himself around when need be)...so maybe having those big wings gives his body more surface area, thereby allowing him to expel more ki than he otherwise would be able to, making him fly faster. I guess? Like you said, since he lacks his wings entirely in his second form it's hard to imagine that they do anything very essential, but maybe they're enough to provide a little extra boost at least. At any rate, the fact that Cell has wings in his first and final form but not in his second form looks pretty odd from a developmental point of view no matter how you shake it. If they do something useful, then why should second form Cell have to manage without them? To build character? And if they're useless, then why does Perfect Cell have them at all? We even see him bother to regenerate his wings when he gets damaged.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:48 am

Purely an aesthetic choice. Cell loses his tail in his final form and If you take away both the wings and tail he just looks far less pleasing to the eye and there's not much left to make him stand out aside from his head design.

While it doesn't look like there's an in universe explanation I always liked to think it somehow made his body more aerodynamic and allowed for greater control when flying. I'm sure that doesn't make sense in real world logic but this is Dragonball afterall.

singsing
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by singsing » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:08 am

NitroEX wrote:Purely an aesthetic choice. Cell loses his tail in his final form and If you take away both the wings and tail he just looks far less pleasing to the eye and there's not much left to make him stand out aside from his head design.

While it doesn't look like there's an in universe explanation I always liked to think it somehow made his body more aerodynamic and allowed for greater control when flying. I'm sure that doesn't make sense in real world logic but this is Dragonball afterall.
I feel fairly certain that Cell still has a tail in his Perfect Form. Just that it's extendable.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:58 am

There is always this :P

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:15 am

In his perfect form the tail has retracted to the point where it's no longer a prominent part of his design (it barely qualifies as a tail anymore). If you just had a blacked out silhouette of all three forms you'd see my point.

Perfect Cell having an extendable tail was a GT invention if I'm not mistaken.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:50 am

Because it looks cool, and fits the bug theme he has going on.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:14 am

NitroEX wrote:Purely an aesthetic choice. Cell loses his tail in his final form and If you take away both the wings and tail he just looks far less pleasing to the eye and there's not much left to make him stand out aside from his head design.

Could the aesthetic choice not be an in-universe explanation? Cell's vain, and it looks better with the wings. Or Gero thought that the "Perfect" being would look better with wings.

Seems as good a reason as any.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:23 am

Nightstar1994 wrote:
There is always this :P
You gotta love Super Dragon Ball Z. Ironically, Super Dragon Ball Z is the only Dragon Ball Z game I know of that Perfect Cell uses his tail to drain enemies. In every other game where Perfect Cell has the option of draining his enemies energy as an attack he uses his hand to drain the energy, ala Android 19 and 20.

I digress. I always say Cell having wings as merely a aesthetic feature to make him look more bug-like and creepy.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:39 am

NitroEX wrote: Perfect Cell having an extendable tail was a GT invention if I'm not mistaken.
And in my opinion the worst, even as a GT lover.

I think as Herms said that the wings really can help him. Of course they cannot help him in his second form since he doesn't have wings but they still could help him in the fors in which he has wings.

Lets just say Gero was a human and imagined something godly, perfect to be angelic. And normally angels have wings. And in Cell's case it are those kind of wings.

And of course that was made up.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:36 am

Logically he did a much better job with the wings than without. By that I mean he received a thorough beat-down in his semi-perfect form compared to his imperfect form. Perhaps when he "evolved" his genes removed his wings as an attribute that was thought to be useless. But then he got beaten badly so in his next evolution it brought back the wings because his original form faired well with them.

There are plenty of insects and animal's that have evolved due to harsh conditions to try and negate them. Could just be something like that.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:11 pm

Cell's wings look damn sturdy. It's also possible they act as a protective shell for his spine and tail.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:41 pm

Cell has bug DNA in his mix, and the bug wings are a physical trait that ended up imposing itself in his look and traits.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:44 pm

When Imperfect Cell flies, don't we hear a buzzy sound of wings?
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Darkprince410
I Live Here

Post by Darkprince410 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:38 am

Sandubadear wrote:When Imperfect Cell flies, don't we hear a buzzy sound of wings?
In both his first and Perfect forms, whenever he'd fly, you'd occasionally hear a sound resembling a buzz saw. Coincidentally or not, Tolbie, a beetle-like member of South Kaiou's fighters from the Anoyo-Ichi Budoukai, had a design very reminiscent of Cell's perfect form, and had that same buzz saw sound when he flew.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Darkprince410 wrote: In both his first and Perfect forms, whenever he'd fly, you'd occasionally hear a sound resembling a buzz saw. Coincidentally or not, Tolbie, a beetle-like member of South Kaiou's fighters from the Anoyo-Ichi Budoukai, had a design very reminiscent of Cell's perfect form, and had that same buzz saw sound when he flew.
So that's it, Cell uses the wings to fly.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:48 pm

The real question is why does Cell 2nd form doesn't have wings...