New "Remastered Box Set" Information

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:11 pm

b_boult wrote:Has anyone considered the possibility of HD-DVD/Blu Ray releases? INCREDIBLY unlikely but nonetheless possible lmao.
DVD only (for the moment ;)
I doubt it, remember, this is Funi, the same cheap bastards who got Faulconer instead of the original BGM.
Ehhh, I wouldn't go so far as to call him cheap. Remember, it's not like they activley discharged Japanese BGM rights and as awful as Faulconer music is, it would have still cost them money. Besides, FUNimation is currently in quite a bit of money thanks to Navaree and they do have several popular titles under their belt (upcoming and already here), aswell as having enough money to pick up shit that normally would be left untouched due to expense (Kodocha, for example).

It won't be. I doubt the Japanese will never let FUNi have the remastered footage. Why you ask? Because they're just like that, the bastards.
Now now now, the Japanese do respond to money, which FUNimation has. Anyway, all speculation at this point.
The original score was terrible and you can try and be as japanese as you want but this fact will always remain, even Faulconer was immeasurably better.
Which alternate dimension do you hail from?

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:23 pm

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/061113/cgm009.html?.v=61

It's not on the official DBZ site yet, but it's on Yahoo!. ^_^
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:31 pm

Christ I am very very shocked by this. Well done Funimation.

jwimz
Beyond Newbie

Post by jwimz » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:56 pm

I especially like this quote from it:

"For the first time, fans will be able to listen to the original Japanese score with either the original Japanese dialogue or the English dialogue"

Meri
The Wife

Post by Meri » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:00 pm

jwimz wrote:I especially like this quote from it:

"For the first time, fans will be able to listen to the original Japanese score with either the original Japanese dialogue or the English dialogue"
NICE! I've always wanted that feature, even though I'm not a fan of the dub. That's too cool!

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:11 pm

Yeah, I wasn't sure I was reading that one right when I first saw it. That's a feature I've heard fans ask about for YEARS, and here I went and told at least half of 'em that it was never freakin' happening.

Dammit, now I look bad to dozens of anonymous people I'll never meet in RL.
Goten of Japan wrote:Don't go 9... Go 10! (Go-ten. Goten. Get it? DOOD.)
The NUMBER ONE Goten fan, and a fucking epic one at that.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:22 pm

Ooooohhhhh hell...

FUNimation, you've just made up for years of DB mediocrity. Let's see, digitally remastered, $50, 39 episodes, actual extras, THE ABILITY TO LISTEN TO THE DUB WITH THE ORIGINAL SCORE, amazing...

There's absolutely no reason for me not to pick this up now.

EDIT: The press release is also up on Anime on DVD.com, but not the official US DBZ site yet.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:28 pm

ALL RIGHT, EVERYONE!!

Go look. The official site has finally released your first look at the new footage.

EDIT: Wow. Look, I know it's just a small screen and you can't tell much, but from what I see I think these are going to look really nice. The colors look a little brighter, certainly.
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John
Not-So-Newbie

Post by John » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:31 pm

Oh my dear sweet Lord. Wow.

I just read the press release over at AnimeOnDVD and I just had to soar my nerd ass over here. I am absolutely THRILLED about this. Seriously, this is great.

The option to listen to the English dialogue with the Japanese score is brilliant and something that should have been done from the beginning.

ALL OF THIS should have been done from the beginning, etc etc etc been said before.

It's a good deal, too. I am gonna buy the carp out of this once it comes out.
(guitar solo goes here)

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:34 pm

Uhhh.... widescreen?? WIDESCREEN?

That would mean they're cutting footage, wouldn't it?
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:35 pm

All I have to say is holy farking crap! it doesn't look like we're getting the dragonbox masters, but I'm just happy to get a dub with the original score. I can finally die a happy man.

OH yeah...the trailer's pretty cool, too, heh.
Last edited by Tenken on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:35 pm

FUNimation has done a lot of things wrong when it comes to this series. But I will always be the first to defend them in saying that even all these years later they're still trying to do right by us-- and y'know, it applies particularly now when DBZ has been a long-time finished and they no longer have to care at all.

I think they really went the extra mile here, and I'm grateful for that.
theoriginalbilis wrote:Uhhh.... widescreen?? WIDESCREEN?

That would mean they're cutting footage, wouldn't it?
I don't know. Maybe that will turn out to be optional? This might sound hyper of me (because I know I should be more concerned), but this second I suppose I don't really care about cropped or uncropped footage. I'm still really excited over this.
Tenken wrote:OH yeah...the trailer's pretty cool, too, heh.
Yes. Yes it is. And I don't often get excited by trailers, especially since FUNi crams so many of the damned things onto every DVD they make.

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:ALL RIGHT, EVERYONE!!

Go look. The official site has finally released your first look at the new footage.

EDIT: Wow. Look, I know it's just a small screen and you can't tell much, but from what I see I think these are going to look really nice. The colors look a little brighter, certainly.
Umm..where, all I see is a trailer for the movies 1-3 set. Anyways, I really hope that these sell enough to convince them to go and do the same with Dragon Ball and GT. Maybe the movies too?

EDIT: Oops, nevermind I found it.
Last edited by Slickmasterfunk on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Mike » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:45 pm

Li'l Lemmy wrote:ALL RIGHT, EVERYONE!!

Where exactly on the site is this preview? I followed your link but it brings me to the movie 13 feature. I also searched around a bit and can't seem to find it. :?

EDIT: I just found it, although I swear that latest news column said something different five minutes ago. :shock:
Last edited by Mike on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Li'l Lemmy
I Live Here

Post by Li'l Lemmy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:56 pm

Yeah, sorry. I guess I should have linked directly to the home page instead of sending ya to Wrath of the Dragon; I got so excited that I forgot about how the damned movie sites always pop up first. Anyway, just click the HOME tab on the above menu and it will bring you to the main site, where . . . ah, to hell with it; I'm fixing the damned link. We're all too excited to not be silly-stupid.

In the meantime, here. In the upper right-hand corner; see it? SEE IT?!

You do? Ah, good . . .
Last edited by Li'l Lemmy on Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:00 pm

*comes back from playing Sparking! NEO*

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Oh yeah! *moonwalks* Thanks FUNimation for compensating for your years of prolonged torment & teasing!!! The addition of listening to the original BGM with the English is sweet, but I'll more likely stick with the Japanese dialogue after being so use to it for a while. As far as calling Kikuchi's music far from amazing, the same can be applied to Falcouner's. Keeping in mind that it's all just a matter of preference. Each has it's ups & downs.

EDIT: For people having trouble with link to the footage. Here :D That Season One Trailer was....uhh FUNi-tastic!
XBL Gamertag: Dragon Piece
Send me a message letting me know who you are
[quote="penguintruth"]In the case of the Mountain Dew, the DBZ dub is like drinking Mountain Dew and thinking, "I sure do love Coca Cola!"[/quote]

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:07 pm

Hmm.

http://media.funimation.com/trailers/DB ... D_trlr.asx

So, er... well, it's all good up until the point where the narrator tells us that it's going to be WIDESCREEN. At that point, I had to rewind and make sure I heard it correctly. After all, these episodes were produced and broadcast in 4:3 aspect ratio (unlike the movies, which were animated at 4:3 but shown in theaters cropped to 16:9), and there's bound to be at least some of the picture lost by cropping the new masters. Plus, wasn't one of the main points of the Dragon Box to remaster the animation so that there weren't any gaps between the picture and the edge of the frame? This just seems counterintuitive.

Also, what the hell is that atonal nonsense playing in the background? I was led to believe that you can have either non-melodic shouting / screaming or unstructured whaling on guitars, but not both at the same time...

EDIT:

Adding the link to the press release, which contains more solid information:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pressre ... hp?id=2146
Last edited by SaiyaJedi on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

b_boult
Beyond Newbie

Post by b_boult » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:09 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:(unlike the movies, which were animated at 4:3 but shown in theaters cropped to 16:9)
In other words the series will be no better or worse than the DragonBox movies.

SS Kakarot
Beyond Newbie

Post by SS Kakarot » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:10 pm

The Press Release wrote:For the first time, fans will be able to listen to the original Japanese score with either the original Japanese dialogue or the English dialogue.
Wow, who would have ever thought FUNimation was going to do this! :shock:
Now I can't wait for these sets!

They had better not really make them Widescreen though!
Can they even do that? :?
My Cels:
http://sskakarot.rubberslug.com/gallery/home.asp
http://cels.proboards33.com

Blitzen
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Blitzen » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:18 pm

HD from Japanese print? Reasonable pricing and episode counts? I'm very interested in seeing where this is heading and I'm preordering this ASAP. I don't think FUNimation has pulled off a HD release before so here's hoping for the best. I think 2007 is the year everything will be rectified among DBZ fans everywhere.
They had better not really make them Widescreen though!
Can they even do that? Confused
Yes, but they shouldn't, atleast not for the TV series/whatever else. Movies might be another issue though. If they're doing it for the TV series then not only wouldn't it make sense to do everything else right, then, well... ahh.

My money is them simply doing Widescreen movies. This is not an issue since fullscreen versions are also available.