Fusions Revisited in Dragon Ball Super

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Fusions Revisited in Dragon Ball Super

Post by TJVY » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Do you want fusions to be revisited in Dragon Ball Super?

I personally do not want anyone other than Gotenks fusing, I think it's a cheap battle tactic and should only be used as a least resort, it's not as satisfying when one singular charcter isn't the one doing the work. I've always thought Vegetto was OP and the thought of a SSGSS Vegeto doesn't fly too well with me.

What do you think?
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

Dyno
Banned

Re: Fusions Revisited in Dragon Ball Super

Post by Dyno » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Teen Gotenks and Gogeta must be in it, but Gogeta just once and as a last resource.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Vegetto/Gogeta isn't Goku, so he won't get to do anything.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:17 pm

I honestly don't want any new fusions or transformations. Adult Gotenks, sure, but please, let the SSGSS be the be-all, end-all. Toriyama isn't writing off the seat of his pants anymore. Now that he's chosen the "mastery over flash-ery" route via the movies, I want him to stick to it.
Rocketman wrote:Vegetto/Gogeta isn't Goku, so he won't get to do anything.
Rocketman the GOAT with the smart-alecky comments in the clutch. You're absolutely right.

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm personally fine with Gotenks popping up here and there, but I honestly hope it sticks with just him. While I wouldn't hate to see Gogeta make an appearance, I would much rather Goten and Trunks just make it their own and show off their own skills as well to better develop their own characters.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:26 pm

Fusion(at least between Goku and Vegeta) would have to be made obsolete since it creates a pretty simple solution to any strong evil guys that show up. I can't imagine we've seen the last of Gotenks though since he is really more of a character than the two that make him up.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:29 pm

I would love to see Teen Gotenks and Gogeta appear one last time.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:33 pm

Yes, Gotenks should still be a thing. Though not with his GT/Heroes design if he is an adult. I also wouldn't mind us actually getting an actual debut for Gogeta in this continuity (only once though), but as much as I like him, Vegetto needs to stay gone.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Something tells me we're getting another "Have Goku & Vegeta become the greatest fighter once they fuse but have that warrior defuse for whatever reason"-ala Vegetto and SSJ4 Gogeta.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:53 pm

I would really like it if the fusion dance was incompatible with god ki. I'm just not a fan of it.
I would maybe have Potara show up again but then get destroyed. If they are used to make Vegetto again then he would have to get defused again.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:01 pm

YESSSS!!! I want to see Fusion BACK! Specially let Gogeta return. I think fusion was a good concept and it didn't get flushed out enough! I would love to see it revisited and expanded upon, plus we could see how Toriyama handles Gogeta!
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

pappy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pappy » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:20 pm

Rocketman wrote:Vegetto/Gogeta isn't Goku, so he won't get to do anything.
Didn't a movie just come out that dedicated screen time to different characters doing stuff? Maybe I read the synopsis wrong. It sounds frustrating to not be able to get excited for anything new that comes out for a series you love.

I'm up for fusions, new forms, whathaveyou. As long as Toriyama can keep characterization in check, I'll probably be happy.
I love you love Mashirito.

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing it, but not too much. I would actually like it to be something only Goten and Trunks do, make it their thing.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:51 pm

If Toriyama is heavily involved, I guess we'll see Gotenks again, but that's it. Toriyama doesn't seem fond of spreading power ups around or attempting to keep "old" power ups relevant.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:59 pm

I won't mind if Gogeta return if his personality is different from Vegito. What I like about Movie 12 Gogeta and Vegito is that they are so different from each other. Gogeta is more serious and gets the job done while Vegito lays back and is not too worry about his fight with Buu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:33 pm

Personally, no. At this point it would seem too strong of a boost and too redundant of a resort at this point. I want to see individual progression and new techniques again. i never liked the idea of Fusion to begin with though, especially for Gotenks being it all they relied on.
Hellspawn28 wrote:I won't mind if Gogeta return if his personality is different from Vegito. What I like about Movie 12 Gogeta and Vegito is that they are so different from each other. Gogeta is more serious and gets the job done while Vegito lays back and is not too worry about his fight with Buu.
Which is what GT competely messed up and nobody seemed to notice.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:49 pm

Who says anything about their personalities are different in the first place? Both GT!Gogeta and Vegetto goofed around because they were trying to get their opponents to do something they wanted them to do. In Vegetto's case, he wanted to force Buu to absorb him, and it Gogeta's case he wanted Yi Xing Long to fire off his negative energy so he could reverse the charge and cleanse the Earth. Movie 12 Gogeta didn't have to deal with that and was able to get straight to business, but nothing says the two wouldn't do the same thing in the other's situations.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:54 pm

Just give me Teen-Adult Gotenks and I'm marking out like a fanboy.

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:18 am

Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Fuck yeah!!!

I love fusions and I do hope they return. Once or twice is good enough for me.
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:31 am

I'd imagine we'll most likely see Gotenks at least once. Other than that though...eh. I enjoy Gotenks, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of Fusions in general (though it's not that I really dislike them either).

I'd love it if we finally got to see Tiencha in action though, heh.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)