How am I supposed to I support the official release?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How am I supposed to I support the official release?

Post by Rukura » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:29 pm

Super Sonic wrote:Rukura, since your profile says you're in Portugal, why do you want the Viz release? Figured you'd want to read the manga in Portuguese so you'd get the manga from your country or import from Brazil.
Because, aside from being more than comfortable with having it in English, we actually get a lot of Viz releases over here, in stores. Hell, we still have our cancelled Portuguese release (that should answer the latter part of your post, huh? lol) displayed right next to the new Viz 3-in-1 release.
rereboy wrote:there's also sufficient differences in Portuguese from Brazil compared to Portuguese from Portugal for it to be jarring.
I've actually had those releases in my hands in some anime/manga events and it really is, (gonna see them again next month) just was not a fan of reading it like that (don't remember how good the translation was).
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:00 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:People are not as stupid as you believe. I think everyone can tell the difference between Bruce Faulconer's score vs Shunsuke Kikuchi's farts. In more detail, Faulconer's score had plenty of techno/electronic/guitar sounds in it. It is way too different for anyone to be able to not notice the difference. The only person who probably would not be able to tell is my dad, as we watched the first episode of Better Call Saul last weekened and the A/V got out of sync by 7-10 seconds and he never noticed for the 20 remaining minutes of the show.

But people in their 20s who grew up watching DBZ every day after school? Yeah, we can notice. The people who don't care for it anymore would be able to tell that the background music is different.
My roommate owns all nine season sets and has told me that he preferred the dub from when he watched it as a kid... and yet when I've seen him watching the show, it's on the default setting, and he's completely oblivious to the fact that the music is different.
I'm overwhelmed by the ignorance....

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:08 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:My roommate owns all nine season sets and has told me that he preferred the dub from when he watched it as a kid... and yet when I've seen him watching the show, it's on the default setting, and he's completely oblivious to the fact that the music is different.
I'm overwhelmed by the ignorance....
Well, if the guy was super casual and hadn't watched the show in over 10 years...I don't think it's at all farfetched for him to have forgotten the soundtrack. It really does not matter to the majority one way or the other. No fan I've ever met in real life (besides Tyro) ever had anything to say about the music in the show at all whatsoever. It's not on the radar of things that matter.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:26 pm

I guess I'm the odd man out then, because literally everybody I've talked to about DBZ brings up Faulconer's score (even if they don't know the name "Bruce Faulconer") as one of the reasons they loved the show. All these stories of people just popping in the DVDs and going with whatever audio track they hear first could not be more different than what I've experienced.

Actually, at one point I remember watching a DBZ movie on Blu-ray, with the English dub/Japanese music audio track, and a bunch of my friends were with me...and one guy says, "Hey, is....is this a new version, or something? Something sounds different...do you have, like, the version with the awesome music?" Me being the smartass that I am, I replied, "Yeah, the guy who did this music is a dude by the name of Shunsuke Kikuchi, very talented guy," and he replied, "No, but like, there was one with American bands." So I reluctantly switched to the track with the American music, and everybody in the room other than me went, "ALL RIGHT, yeah, God this is so much better!"

I sighed.

And my impressions of the popularity of Faulconer's score were further cemented by going online and, pretty much everywhere except Kanzenshuu, seeing similar sentiments being reflected.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:56 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I guess I'm the odd man out then, because literally everybody I've talked to about DBZ brings up Faulconer's score (even if they don't know the name "Bruce Faulconer") as one of the reasons they loved the show. All these stories of people just popping in the DVDs and going with whatever audio track they hear first could not be more different than what I've experienced.

Actually, at one point I remember watching a DBZ movie on Blu-ray, with the English dub/Japanese music audio track, and a bunch of my friends were with me...and one guy says, "Hey, is....is this a new version, or something? Something sounds different...do you have, like, the version with the awesome music?" Me being the smartass that I am, I replied, "Yeah, the guy who did this music is a dude by the name of Shunsuke Kikuchi, very talented guy," and he replied, "No, but like, there was one with American bands." So I reluctantly switched to the track with the American music, and everybody in the room other than me went, "ALL RIGHT, yeah, God this is so much better!"

I sighed.

And my impressions of the popularity of Faulconer's score were further cemented by going online and, pretty much everywhere except Kanzenshuu, seeing similar sentiments being reflected.
LMAO! I'm imagining your friends as a bunch of dudebros from the way you're describing them. No offense, I'm sure they are awesome people but they just sound like the kind of stereotypical "stupid brother" types we see on TV. I'm just glad they didn't actually mean it when they said "American bands" since that shit was the worst thing to ever plague1 DBZ, moreso than Kikuchi's farts that comprise the entirety of the Japanese BGM score.

1https://youtu.be/55Wyic_NkzA?t=5m21s For the unaware, that really is part of the official "score" for the OVA.

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:01 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:"No, but like, there was one with American bands." So I reluctantly switched to the track with the American music, and everybody in the room other than me went, "ALL RIGHT, yeah, God this is so much better!"
This made me cringe so hard.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!

SaiyanBaller22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanBaller22 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:56 am

I know that this is probably the wrong thread to ask this question or has already been answered but is Kai 4:3 or 16:9?

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Mon May 04, 2015 2:12 am

SaiyanBaller22 wrote:I know that this is probably the wrong thread to ask this question or has already been answered but is Kai 4:3 or 16:9?
It's 4:3.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 04, 2015 8:41 am

Dragon Ball = Saga Sets.
Dragon Ball Z = Dragon Box Z. But since you're too late all that's left.. well, be patient and FUNimation might give us a proper DBZ release.
Dragon Ball GT = Singles.
Dragon Ball Kai = Parts 1-4 on Blu-ray.
Movies = Singles.

While I acknowledge the Movie Singles have inferior quality they still somewhat look better than the Double Feature sets, the DFs seem to have a blurry image and bland colours plus it lacks the Japanese credits so this is why it's the lesser evil of the two.

As for Kai 2.0 I'll just get the Season sets and call it a day, whenever that is.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 04, 2015 12:27 pm

TJVY wrote:
SaiyanBaller22 wrote:I know that this is probably the wrong thread to ask this question or has already been answered but is Kai 4:3 or 16:9?
Until we get to the Buu arc, at which point it's 16:9.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Mon May 04, 2015 1:07 pm

MarCas92 wrote: Dragon Boxes: Too expensive and rare. None for Dragon Ball.
The Japanese Dragon Boxes are actually quite affordable, Dragon Ball can be had for $300 but depends on the time and sale, the DBZ Dboxes will cost $1K regardless but I've seen a few boxes that were $350 and that's what they were sold for.
Just keep an eye on Yahoo Auctions JP, and Ebay.

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Mon May 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Paying $350 for what's essentially a cartoon series does not constitute 'affordable' in my book.
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

SaiyanBaller22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SaiyanBaller22 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:25 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
TJVY wrote:
Until we get to the Buu arc, at which point it's 16:9.

So it's cropped then?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon May 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Puto wrote:Paying $350 for what's essentially a cartoon series does not constitute 'affordable' in my book.
It's quite baffling that that set was ~$800 on release. I'd be blown away if I found it for $350.

But yeah, it's a lot of money for what's still just a bunch of DVDs in a fancy box.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Puto wrote:Paying $350 for what's essentially a cartoon series does not constitute 'affordable' in my book.
Tell that to Japanese fans of Gundam, Type-Moon and late night anime. That type of pricing pretty much seen as standard in Japan and Aniplex are notorious for also pricing anime in North American in that region too. E.g. Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon May 04, 2015 3:55 pm

SaiyanBaller22 wrote:So it's cropped then?
From that point onward, yes.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Mon May 04, 2015 5:10 pm

I think it was aired in 16:9, but you can buy it and watch it in 4:3.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon May 04, 2015 5:15 pm

One_Instance wrote:
I think it was aired in 16:9, but you can buy it and watch it in 4:3.
It's been mentioned already, but just to clarify:

Though it was 16:9 for its TV broadcast, Kai's first run (Saiyan to Cell) is available on home release in 4:3. The Boo arc of Kai is 16:9 only on both TV and home release. Both in Japan and the other countries it has aired in.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon May 04, 2015 6:02 pm

If you wanted to support the official releases of the franchise, this how I would go:

- Manga: Kanzenban release
- Dragon Ball: Season Sets (1 - 5)
- Dragon Ball Z: Blu-Ray Season Sets (1 - 9)
- Dragon Ball GT: The Complete Series set
- Dragon Ball Kai: Season Sets (1 - 4)
- Movies: For Dragon Ball, the 4 Movie Pack. For Dragon Ball Z, the Complete Movie Collection or the singles on Blu-Ray

MarCas92
Regular

Post by MarCas92 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:25 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:If you wanted to support the official releases of the franchise, this how I would go:

- Manga: Kanzenban release
- Dragon Ball: Season Sets (1 - 5)
- Dragon Ball Z: Blu-Ray Season Sets (1 - 9)
- Dragon Ball GT: The Complete Series set
- Dragon Ball Kai: Season Sets (1 - 4)
- Movies: For Dragon Ball, the 4 Movie Pack. For Dragon Ball Z, the Complete Movie Collection or the singles on Blu-Ray
-I can't read Japanese.
-No NEP's or original title cards/credits.
-Oh boy noooo way!
-Same as DB.
-Not interested in Kai atm.
-I own the 4 pack. Idk why. Also aren't the movies for dbz from these sets the same as the Orange bricks?

It sucks because I would buy the DragonBoxes in an instant! But they are out of print. Even if I buy'em 2nd hand, it won't be supporting the distributor and they cost waaaay too much.

I want to support the series in the U.S. But I don't want to support bad releases. Supporting bad releases just leads to more bad releases.
How do you get into the Ginyu Force? With a letter of RECOOMEndation!