Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Doc
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Will GT Really Become "Lost" This Time?

Post by The Doc » Sun May 03, 2015 5:12 am

I still say that Toei using GT as a frame of reference in the Battle of Gods press release for when that movie takes place is still a fair enough indicator that they see these new movies and GT as taking place along the same timeline. I can't see them using Super as a way to over write GT, unless it's specifically said that Super will take place at the same time GT does, or unless they include something crucially contradicting to GT other than new transformations.

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Sun May 03, 2015 10:10 am

The Doc wrote:I still say that Toei using GT as a frame of reference in the Battle of Gods press release for when that movie takes place is still a fair enough indicator that they see these new movies and GT as taking place along the same timeline. I can't see them using Super as a way to over write GT, unless it's specifically said that Super will take place at the same time GT does, or unless they include something crucially contradicting to GT other than new transformations.
That was one press release from fairly early in the movie's production though. They haven't mentioned it afterwards, and we got word from the staff about how GT wasn't part of the "original story". Then, with RoF, now we've got Goku and Vegeta ending up with blue hair as SSJs rather than yellow hair, which is a pretty big change since the original SSJ obviously was used in GT.

Using GT as a frame of reference would mean they'd need to worry and care about continuity to the point of restricting what the new show could do, and I just don't see them doing that. GT wasn't a big success for them, after all, so tying themselves to it wouldn't really benefit them.

The Doc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Doc » Sun May 03, 2015 11:42 am

Neon Z wrote: That was one press release from fairly early in the movie's production though. They haven't mentioned it afterwards, and we got word from the staff about how GT wasn't part of the "original story". Then, with RoF, now we've got Goku and Vegeta ending up with blue hair as SSJs rather than yellow hair, which is a pretty big change since the original SSJ obviously was used in GT.

Using GT as a frame of reference would mean they'd need to worry and care about continuity to the point of restricting what the new show could do, and I just don't see them doing that. GT wasn't a big success for them, after all, so tying themselves to it wouldn't really benefit them.
I don't think Toei had any reason to mention it again post-Battle of Gods. That was the first major DB release in years, and it made sense to clarify "no, this movie will ACTUALLY fall into the timeline" to people. By "original story" I'm assuming they mean the manga, since it's hard to refer to the DBZ anime itself as being the original story. Which is true, GT shouldn't be considered as a part of the manga's story, but it's still a part of the anime franchise.

I still don't think SSGSS means much. If it all it is Super Saiyan on top of absorbing the Super Saiyan God power, then we saw that in Battle of Gods, and Goku had the standard Super Saiyan hair then. So sometimes it's blue, and sometimes it looks normal? Clearly the colors are circumstantial, and without that knowledge, I'd say we're at a point where these transformations are all just beyond our comprehension and they really shouldn't count as the deciding factor towards the validity of one story or the other.

I see your point and agree to an extent about caring too much about GT hindering where they could take Dragon Ball Super, but at the same time I don't think it would be as much of an issue as we're imagining.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:20 pm

If the show takes place after EOZ then GT will still exist in merchandise. Doesn't matter if the show replaces GT or not, GT still exist as a protect. If you look at the Godzilla series for examples, the series always ignores the last movie before in the 2000's and merchandise for older Godzilla characters still got made. Even the Heisei movies ignore the Showa movies expect for the 1954 original film.
I still don't think SSGSS means much. If it all it is Super Saiyan on top of absorbing the Super Saiyan God power, then we saw that in Battle of Gods, and Goku had the standard Super Saiyan hair then. So sometimes it's blue, and sometimes it looks normal?
What about Golden Freeza? Freeza's new form plays a big part since he never uses it in GT when he could have easily done so anytime. Freeza won't need to team up with someone much weaker then him like Cell. GT also seems to make both Cell and Freeza weaker if they got own by Base Kid Goku so easily.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Sun May 03, 2015 3:21 pm

The Doc wrote:I still say that Toei using GT as a frame of reference in the Battle of Gods press release for when that movie takes place is still a fair enough indicator that they see these new movies and GT as taking place along the same timeline. I can't see them using Super as a way to over write GT, unless it's specifically said that Super will take place at the same time GT does, or unless they include something crucially contradicting to GT other than new transformations.
But these new transformations are not an insignificant thing. It changes how the characters look permanently and simply mae GT incompatible. And Toei allowed that.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Sun May 03, 2015 3:25 pm

The Doc wrote:I still don't think SSGSS means much. If it all it is Super Saiyan on top of absorbing the Super Saiyan God power, then we saw that in Battle of Gods, and Goku had the standard Super Saiyan hair then. So sometimes it's blue, and sometimes it looks normal?
We should take in consideration Kakarot absorbed the Super Saiyan God powers into his body, but he didn't master it yet, he hadn't received a training yet, he didn't even have the Saiyan beyond God state... That's why his Super Saiyan was the regular one in Movie 14.

I might as well think the regular Super Saiyan can still be used when Kakarot and Vegeta don't want to use it with the Super Saiyan God powers.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 03, 2015 3:31 pm

Other haircolour could simply be explained by going full power or not.

Considering GT - I think it has its time to shine now. Who knows what comes and probably makes connections.

EDIT: There is no such thing as super official canonicity in Dragon Ball so stop making up your own rules about law.
Last edited by Cetra on Sun May 03, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun May 03, 2015 3:34 pm

Cetra wrote:Other haircolour could simply be explained by going full power or not.
But a movie or TV episode that contains this explanation has to be produced. So until then GT, at this point, is just incompatible. For that and many other reasons. The fact that Toei allows that to happen tells me that they're not very concerned about keeping GT in super main official production canon. Frankly, selling a new "even more canon this time!" sequel is a great marketing idea, just look at Star Wars Episode 7.

The Doc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Doc » Sun May 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:What about Golden Freeza? Freeza's new form plays a big part since he never uses it in GT when he could have easily done so anytime. Freeza won't need to team up with someone much weaker then him like Cell. GT also seems to make both Cell and Freeza weaker if they got own by Base Kid Goku so easily.
Exactly. How do we know that all the crap going on in Hell didn't have an effect on his ability to use his Golden form?
Basaku wrote:But these new transformations are not an insignificant thing. It changes how the characters look permanently and simply mae GT incompatible. And Toei allowed that.
People also considered Gohan's Mystic power up as a permanent thing (despite never using the term), and it blew a lot of minds when he went Super Saiyan in Battle of Gods. How is this much different?
Dyno wrote:We should take in consideration Kakarot absorbed the Super Saiyan God powers into his body, but he didn't master it yet, he hadn't received a training yet, he didn't even have the Saiyan beyond God state... That's why his Super Saiyan was the regular one in Movie 14.

I might as well think the regular Super Saiyan can still be used when Kakarot and Vegeta don't want to use it with the Super Saiyan God powers.
You're right, we should take that into consideration. But we shouldn't automatically rule that as the fact of that matter when I don't believe that has much proof beyond theory.
Basaku wrote:
Cetra wrote:Other haircolour could simply be explained by going full power or not.
But a movie or TV episode that contains this explanation has to be produced. So until then GT, at this point, is just incompatible.
An explanation in future media on how this all works would help tremendously. However, I don't think the lack of should mean that prior material should be automatically ruled out. It should now be under analysis and consideration, rather than being immediately dismissed.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun May 03, 2015 6:27 pm

The Doc wrote:People also considered Gohan's Mystic power up as a permanent thing (despite never using the term), and it blew a lot of minds when he went Super Saiyan in Battle of Gods. How is this much different?
That BOG was made? Anything and everything can be "explained", hand-waved away etc. But it has to be actually done within new material. Not just "well it COULD happen". Until it does GT is in rather incompatible state among new official stories.
The Doc wrote: However, I don't think the lack of should mean that prior material should be automatically ruled out. It should now be under analysis and consideration, rather than being immediately dismissed.
I'm open to "whatever future holds" one way or another, but I disagree with the notion some believe that Toei would never do anything to directly "throw GT into bin" and their lack of care for stuff that is already happening in new material that is messing up with GT shows it

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Sun May 03, 2015 7:08 pm

Twelve universes, divergent timelines, GT has been neatly tucked away into one parallel universe so that where ever Dragonball Super takes us can be a continuity all its own. That is the strong impression I'm getting, is no one else considering this the most likely explanation?
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun May 03, 2015 7:10 pm

Akira wrote:Twelve universes, divergent timelines, GT has been neatly tucked away into one parallel universe so that where ever Dragonball Super takes us can be a continuity all its own. That is the strong impression I'm getting, is no one else considering this the most likely explanation?
No, because a different dimension has nothing to to with a chrono-multiversal tree.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

SPRSYJN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SPRSYJN » Mon May 04, 2015 9:09 am

Cetra wrote:
Akira wrote:Twelve universes, divergent timelines, GT has been neatly tucked away into one parallel universe so that where ever Dragonball Super takes us can be a continuity all its own. That is the strong impression I'm getting, is no one else considering this the most likely explanation?
No, because a different dimension has nothing to to with a chrono-multiversal tree.
This is true. New Dimension =/= Parallel world.

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Mon May 04, 2015 9:39 am

SPRSYJN wrote:
Cetra wrote:
This is true. New Dimension =/= Parallel world.

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon May 04, 2015 11:29 am

Or you can go with the timeline threory. Makes everyone happy really. Really simple, everything happens within the same universe just different timelines. Everything basically fracturing off at the cell saga. Ya got Cell's timeline, Trunks' timeline, the series timeline and the GT timeline. There problem solved. It's better then trying to work it within the 12 universes because there are large chances that the other 11 will be nothing likedragon world. No Goku, no dragon balls in those universes. None of that. But then again maybe it could? We don't know. It's easier at this point to put GT down as another timeline that branched off from Trunks' time fuckery. Anyways that's my half tired rant, Good day gents.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 04, 2015 12:06 pm

People have always blown GT out of proportion, it's not an utter terrible series by any chance, tasteless or unfunny.. It's just that fans were expecting more of the same from the 291 episode series and instead it was more or less a remake of Dragon Ball in space.

As a kid I watched GT and I love it so regardless of what they do to it now it won't make a difference to me.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Mon May 04, 2015 12:36 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:People have always blown GT out of proportion, it's not an utter terrible series by any chance, tasteless or unfunny.. It's just that fans were expecting more of the same from the 291 episode series and instead it was more or less a remake of Dragon Ball in space.

As a kid I watched GT and I love it so regardless of what they do to it now it won't make a difference to me.
Likewise, even to this day I dig it. I think the hate has taken a mind of it's own these days and just runs around trampling people...it's rather hard to have polite discussion at times about it without some people just storming in and yelling "GT SUCKS! NOT CANON!" and so forth.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon May 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Unicorn_Bazooka wrote: Image
Some pseudo science of things that cannot be proven will not help in this discussion though. "Parallel" is something that exists next to something else. "Parallel" can refer to both a chrono-multiversal tree and a different dimension that exists next to others. And Beerus meant the last one. That is why I made my post in the first place.
voltlunok wrote:Makes everyone happy really.
It does not. For most fans, including me, only the timeline which tells the story is important. Trunks' timeline exists, it is a part of everything, et cetera, but I could not care about it when it comes to the question what is important.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:55 pm

The Doc wrote:Exactly. How do we know that all the crap going on in Hell didn't have an effect on his ability to use his Golden form?
Why would it affect his ability to use the Golden form?

I think the point being made is that there would have to be all sorts of wild explanations and crazy mental gymnastics just to reconcile all the inconsistencies between GT and the new films, which frankly comes across as a forced, convoluted way to tie two things together that are simply incompatible at face value. The thing is, we ARE putting GT under analysis and consideration in context of a unified timeline - the problem is that Toei's continuation simply doesn't mesh with Toriyama's continuation. That's all there is to it.

Also, I'm still not sure why even fans of GT would try so hard to force it into a continuity that would just make the entire side story look silly at its premise. To me, that just denotes a complete lack of respect for GT itself.
Last edited by Marlowe89 on Mon May 04, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 04, 2015 1:15 pm

Dragon Ball can be like Godzilla where each shows and movies take place in their own continuity. For example:

Manga:

DB-
Jaco
Dragon Ball manga Vol 1. - Vol 42
2008 Jump Special
Battle of Gods
Revival of F
Super

Anime:

Bardock: Father of Goku
DB Anime
DBZ Anime
History of Trunks
DBGT
Hero's Legacy

Online:

DB-
Dragon Ball manga Vol 1. - Vol 42
Dragon Ball Online

Episode of Bardock, DB Movie 1-4, and DB Movie 1-13 are set in their own worlds as well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/