If DB were an American comic?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

If DB were an American comic?

Post by Berserker1921 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:40 am

You think it would be much different? What roles do you think Goku and Vegeta hold in this alternate universe? I am asking how would the story be? Would it be radically different from what it was? Would it be filled with stronger femal characters? More epic battles to the universal scale? Filled with even more discrepancies like superman? Would piccolo become the batman of the z warriors?
Last edited by Berserker1921 on Thu May 07, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godccolo

Re: If DB were an American comic?

Post by Godccolo » Thu May 07, 2015 12:48 am

Would the author change as well?

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:50 am

Yes frequently. Like normal American comics

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu May 07, 2015 1:07 am

Berserker1921 wrote:Yes frequently. Like normal American comics
Unless it's with a small press or self-published like with Image comics.

That said, it would tank as an American comic. Action Adventure comics don't do well in North America unless they're part of the superhero genre. Comics in the superhero genre don't do well unless they're owned by the Big 2.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:24 am

Dayspring wrote:
Berserker1921 wrote:Yes frequently. Like normal American comics
Unless it's with a small press or self-published like with Image comics.

That said, it would tank as an American comic. Action Adventure comics don't do well in North America unless they're part of the superhero genre. Comics in the superhero genre don't do well unless they're owned by the Big 2.
What I meant how will the story change? How different do you think it would be?

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 07, 2015 1:38 am

It would have a bunch of story arcs that seem conclusive, but then something entirely new happens and starts an entirely new story arc, usually having nothing to do with the previous one. It would be really really long, and there would be a lot of continuity errors that only the obsessive nerdy fans who've read the whole series would catch. There would also be multiple retcons and non-canon alternate stories. There would be a lot of confusing time travel plots, dead characters would continually be brought back to life, new stories would still be coming out decades after it started, and old villains would randomly come back with new powers, and the fanbase would constantly be complaining and arguing about it.

Oh wait... :P
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 07, 2015 4:52 am

the main focus of it would be political correctness with everything else such as stories and characters being pushed to the back.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu May 07, 2015 10:25 am

It would be a lot better about having an ensemble cast instead of having Goku do everything always.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 11:45 am

Well, if Dragon Ball was an american comic and was not owned by either Marvel or DC, it would flop. But other than that, the structure of the story wouldn't really change that much. I mean, death in Dragon Ball is just as cheap as death in comic books, so they already have a few things in common.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if restarted every so many years with new stories and new characters, like a lot or super hero comics do, maybe keeping Goku in some of them. It'd also be interesting to see the different art styles from all the different artists that would've worked on it over the years.
Last edited by One_Instance on Thu May 07, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 1:13 pm

One_Instance wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if restarted every so many years with new stories and new characters, like a lot or super hero comics do, maybe keeping Goku in some of them. It'd also be interesting to see the different art styles from all the different artists that worked on it over the years.
I'd certainly love to see Jim Lee draw some of the Z-Fighters.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu May 07, 2015 3:25 pm

It would be extremely inconsistent. More than it already is, anyway.

There would be more female characters who have major roles.

Everyone would be dressed ridiculously.

Mr. Satan would beat up Goku in a straight fight at least once.

The Z-fighters would get a team name.

The villains would benefit from the Dragon Balls. Well, some of them would.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 07, 2015 3:40 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:Everyone would be dressed ridiculously.
Oh god, I can already imagine Goku dressed in spandex and a cape.
The Z-fighters would get a team name.
Isn't Z-Fighters or Z-Warriors their team name already?
The villains would benefit from the Dragon Balls. Well, some of them would.
I definitely want to see this happen in the actual series, hopefully, we will in Super. It's kind of disappointing that we've only seen this happen once, with Piccolo, so far.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 4:03 pm

One_Instance wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:Everyone would be dressed ridiculously.
Oh god, I can already imagine Goku dressed in spandex and a cape.
Well, the original design for the Super Saiyan God featured Goku having a cape. So... yeah.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Thu May 07, 2015 5:38 pm

I see that all the heroes costume would be Americanized I don't see too many capes. Since this a martial arts story. Goku would be the super man of the group. Vegeta or piccolo would be batman. Android 18'woukd be the Wonder Woman. And all the heroes will have times to shine. Even having Yamacha would be the hero sometimes.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu May 07, 2015 5:39 pm

Berserker1921 wrote:I see that all the heroes costume would be Americanized I don't see too many capes. Since this a martial arts story.
Yeah, but we don't know that an American version would have anything to do with martial arts.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 6:14 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:There would be more female characters who have major roles.
Sad but true.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:20 pm

The non-Saiyain's would probably be treated a lot better and continue to find new ways of being useful, many of the transformations probably wouldn't even exist and would be replaced by differing techniques, the sci-fi portions that came into prominence with Z would be expanded upon, esoteric space stuff would likely become thematically linked to the new Gods stuff....

I don't think the series charm would still be present like it kind of is now, but I can honestly see a LOT of stuff being overall better handled.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu May 07, 2015 6:48 pm

Another thing is that if Dragon Ball were an American comic, there would be a lot of reboots and a lot more retcons.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Thu May 07, 2015 9:23 pm

If DB were an American comic...head canons would implode. :lol:
"Of" =/= "Have"

Contractions:
-Should have = Should've
-Could have = Could've
-Would have = Would've

The heck does "should of" even mean anyway? Think about what those two words mean individually, and then try to read them back to back in a sentence and make sense of it. Are you forming a prepositional phrase, is "should" a part of a larger grouping, or are you just typing random words based on how you think you hear them used verbally? Perhaps take a moment to contemplate this, and see if it becomes as mind jarring for you to look at as it does for me..