Do you think Freeza or Cold will ever acknowledge Cooler?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you think Freeza or Cold will ever acknowledge Cooler

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:31 am

Kid Buu wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:I don't see why anybody would be expecting a Toriyama work to reference Coola.
He referenced Bardock, so I wouldn't be surprised if he referenced Coola.
Yeah, but that was one time over the course of the entire serialization. So if anything, that solidifies my question any further: why would anyone expect that to happen?

Then when you consider that when Toriyama did get his hands on Bardock, he made him into an entirely different character, it still further reinforces it. There's almost no reason to believe Toriyama would do it, and the one precedent where he did suggests it wouldn't be the Coola you're looking for.

But honestly, assuming I didn't say this in my earlier post, I don't even get the desire for it. Why does anyone WANT Coola in the manga continuity? What difference would that make? As far as I can tell, it's all about validation: I like this character, so I want Toriyama to validate that affection by making him "real." If you like him, that's great. He's in two movies, and one of those movies is pretty good. Why do you need Toriyama to shoehorn him into his story to justify that? Because that has nothing to do with quality. Coola is still the same character in those movies regardless.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Kid Buu wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:I don't see why anybody would be expecting a Toriyama work to reference Coola.
He referenced Bardock because he liked the character and TV special. With Coola on the other hand, the character was never referenced in the manga or any interview from Toriyama.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:50 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:
He referenced Bardock because he liked the character and TV special. With Coola on the other hand, the character was never referenced in the manga or any interview from Toriyama.
There's that, and the fact Goku obviously had to have a father, Freeza doesn't have to have a sibling. In Toriyamas work so far Freeza doesn't have any siblings.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:40 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:
Yeah, but that was one time over the course of the entire serialization. So if anything, that solidifies my question any further: why would anyone expect that to happen?

Then when you consider that when Toriyama did get his hands on Bardock, he made him into an entirely different character, it still further reinforces it. There's almost no reason to believe Toriyama would do it, and the one precedent where he did suggests it wouldn't be the Coola you're looking for.

But honestly, assuming I didn't say this in my earlier post, I don't even get the desire for it. Why does anyone WANT Coola in the manga continuity? What difference would that make? As far as I can tell, it's all about validation: I like this character, so I want Toriyama to validate that affection by making him "real." If you like him, that's great. He's in two movies, and one of those movies is pretty good. Why do you need Toriyama to shoehorn him into his story to justify that? Because that has nothing to do with quality. Coola is still the same character in those movies regardless.
I'm not saying people should expect Toriyama to reference Coola. Rather, that Toriyama has referenced a Toei-original character before (as well as using Toei's ideas in his new films), that I wouldn't be surprised if he referenced Coola in a recent product.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:28 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:That really says something since we already know he doesn't care about Dragon Ball.
That's a fairly rude thing to say, seeing how it was was the mistreatment of the franchise in Dragon Ball Evolution that got him fired up for everything he's added to the franchise in the last 2-3 years.
I was going off of everything I've ever heard people say on here. That it's his lack of care that is why we don't have a reanimated series and Sailor Moon does. Not to mention he never took notes/wrote anything down and thus forgot a lot of things, and even himself said he only made it to "entertain young Japanese boys." He basically crapped out the greatest manga of all time that still has influence to this day. And regarding the two movies, he wasn't too passionate about continuing after BoG; I'm sure that Toei asked him and gave him a larger role. I can't see him going like "Let's do another movie! Please!"

I love the guy, but everything I read here says he can't care less about the series and thus I regurgitated it. I'm not trying to be rude.

Mystic Tien
Regular

Post by Mystic Tien » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:38 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:. That it's his lack of care that is why we don't have a reanimated series and Sailor Moon does.
Actually it was Toei's idea to make new Sailor Moon series, and Takeuchi was just the one to persuade them to do a remake instead of Pretty Cure Moon.
Marco Polo wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Cool to see Gohan have a kill for once. He hasn't killed someone since Cell (or Broli if you want to count in General).
He almost got Videl killed in Battle of Gods tho.

OJPArtist

Post by OJPArtist » Wed May 06, 2015 2:42 pm

Well cooler is cannon only to the movies and is not cannon to the anime/manga. I know its confusing :crazy:
I'm kind of hoping that cooler will be mentioned in the new movie although I highly doubt it since its cannon to the manga :(

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Wed May 06, 2015 6:53 pm

OJPArtist wrote:Well cooler is cannon only to the movies and is not cannon to the anime/manga. I know its confusing :crazy:
I'm kind of hoping that cooler will be mentioned in the new movie although I highly doubt it since its cannon to the manga :(
We have the script of the movie, Cooler isn't mentioned.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 06, 2015 6:56 pm

The script isn't an exact representation of the finished movie though. There are differences. Still, I think if Coola was mentioned, one of the Japan based fans here on the forum would have mentioned it a long time ago.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:32 pm

Maybe Funimation will reference Coola in the dub of the film to avoid confusion with the casuals, but I doubt it.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 07, 2015 7:19 am

Just like Super Saiyan 4 Goku wasn't acknowledged in Battle of Gods they'll ignore Coola as it's not part of the manga/canon but anime-only. I know, it's a shame. :(
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu May 07, 2015 7:45 am

Super Saiyan 4 wouldn't have been acknowledged in Battle of Gods even if it did share continuity with GT. The form was isn't achieved for almost another 12 years on the AGE timeline.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Thu May 07, 2015 8:07 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Maybe Funimation will reference Coola in the dub of the film to avoid confusion with the casuals, but I doubt it.
Why would they? Who exactly is a lack of Coola going to confuse? People have managed just fine all these years without him so far. It's not as if every time Saiyan ancestry comes up, people are running around going, "Why in the world don't they mention Tullece?!"
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 07, 2015 8:33 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Super Saiyan 4 wouldn't have been acknowledged in Battle of Gods even if it did share continuity with GT. The form was isn't achieved for almost another 12 years on the AGE timeline.
Well, for one I never really cared about the ages, power levels or if it is canon or not just as long as it's fun & interesting it's what matters, imo. However, I can see why there's fans who want it to be canon but it just ends up limiting their options.

The hate that a lot of fans have for GT is just blown out of proportion unnecessarily.

SSJ3 Vegeta was born from Raging Blast 1 (where I first saw him) so the 'real' Vegeta goes from Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan God and Blue Super Saiyan.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu May 07, 2015 12:41 pm

Actually, no. "Super Saiyan 3 Vegeta" is older than Raging Blast.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 07, 2015 12:52 pm

Where was SSJ3 Vegeta from then?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Thu May 07, 2015 1:02 pm

From a Japanese exclusive game released in 2008/2009, don't remember its name, though.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu May 07, 2015 4:07 pm

This isn't about hate or even arguing what material is in the same continuity. This is solely about the fact that referencing SS4 in Battle of Gods would have been like Vegeta coming to Earth in the Saiyan Arc and somehow mentioning Cell. It's not something that has happened yet, so they can't talk about what doesn't exist.

BTW, the game was Dragon Battlers.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 07, 2015 6:02 pm

Fair enough, but Vegeta SSJ3 is still a video game character like I had thought and yeah it wouldn't fit in to feature SSJ4 before GT even happened, it's just it didn't feel quite right to see him go SSJ1, SSJ2, SSJ3 and not SSJ4, is all.

I tend to play as Super Saiyan 4 Goku so had hoped to see phase 4 being included as a natural transformation.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray