"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Ushabtis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:08 pm

At this point the Human Z fighters are pointless, they're far too old to keep up and won't be around as long as the Saiyans in terms of genes of fighting etc. Even if they get a decent power up I really doubt they'd even come close in power levels Nerdy Dad Gohan can bring to the table. After all he's still the 3rd place in terms of strength in the Z warriors. (1st goku, close 2nd with Vegeta, and a distant 3rd with Gohan.)

Unless they introduce new Humans and/or Uub, I can't see humans closing the gap the Saiyans have created. Even powerful races like Namekians are dwarfed by the saiyan powers.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Lapis

Post by Lapis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:10 pm

I like the design of that kanji. Also Chō sounds a lot cooler then super lol.

I just hope this series will have a solid story and won't suffer from inconsistencies or plot holes.

fogdark
Beyond Newbie

Post by fogdark » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:16 pm

Pretty sure this is fanmade, but it is a much better look at the logo. And while I was a bit meh at first, it is growing on me...
Yes, Goku visited me once. He turned to me while I was still speechless, and said, "You've drank too much"...

My Teepublic Store
My Redbubble Store

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Beerus-sama wrote: something I noticed...
down the dragon ball part of the logo theres the furigana saying "Dragon ball Super" in katakana and down the 超 kanji is the "Super" part of the title in romanji... :|
That's no different from the Kai logo.

"Kai" appears in Katakana, Romaji, and Kanji there.
I thought of that, but with Kai logo, it looks cool. :3
Also...
Rukura wrote: This DB Super logo, however, has the styllized kanji as the main focus with the written out "Super" right below it...BUT the furigana ending with Super is right next to it, which makes it look very redundant.
This so much!!!!

I think it also has to do with the size of the "Super" Romanji in comparison with the kanji that is supposed to be the main focus...
fogdark wrote:Pretty sure this is fanmade, but it is a much better look at the logo. And while I was a bit meh at first, it is growing on me...
maybe I'll give a chance to the logo...
Or maybe I like it better there, because it is behind a blue background... :think:
Last edited by Beerus-sama on Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:26 pm

fogdark wrote:Pretty sure this is fanmade, but it is a much better look at the logo. And while I was a bit meh at first, it is growing on me...

Yeah the Logo is growing on me quickly, I also am guessing the background is fanmade (Well done though) As he's wearing his old Gi. Then again Whis might of told them not to were his old Gi on Beerus planet, but then again there's already crap there so I doubt it. :lol: Would love it if that 's what his "Bluper" hair looked like in this.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:29 pm

Nope, still looks Super lazy to me. Apart from the kanji.

Almost feels like they wanna use the DBZ logo in the opening and make the Z shine into the Super part of it.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Beerus-sama
Advanced Regular

Post by Beerus-sama » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Rukura wrote:Nope, still looks Super lazy to me. Apart from the kanji.

Almost feels like they wanna use the DBZ logo in the opening and make the Z shine into the Super part of it.
I was kind of joking there (I love the blue background)

while I like how the colors of the super part of it blends with the blue background, it still looks bad when you look it as a whole. :|
Sleeping until the tournament is over.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:39 pm

I won't even expect a DBZ-US Logo slapped a kanji replacing a Z. So I think they should use a DBGT variant or something :lol: :lol:
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:39 pm

Retan wrote:

Yeah the Logo is growing on me quickly, I also am guessing the background is fanmade (Well done though) As he's wearing his old Gi. Then again Whis might of told them not to were his old Gi on Beerus planet, but then again there's already crap there so I doubt it. :lol: Would love it if that 's what his "Bluper" hair looked like in this.
The background is from the 2008 special and IIRC Goku's hair is blue from the Kamehameha aura.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:43 pm

shinmaru wrote:
Retan wrote:

The background is from the 2008 special and IIRC Goku's hair is blue from the Kamehameha aura.

Still looks better then the real bluper saiyan in my opinion.

PrinceVegetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by PrinceVegetto » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:01 pm

Does anyone know if it's more probable that the animation will be similar to the 2008 special than the recent movies?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:22 pm

PrinceVegetto wrote:Does anyone know if it's more probable that the animation will be similar to the 2008 special than the recent movies?
Nobody knows yet until we know who the character designer is. It probably won't be similar, though.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:25 pm

It's not horrible but the old part just clashes with the new part way too much. I don't get why they didn't at least unify the color palette closer, you can't just cut the big red Z letter, put in something else instead and leave the rest unchanged. If they wanted to be lazy, why not just use the "Dragon Ball" part from the alternate version of the famous DBZ logo?

It would mesh much better with their Chou-kanji design:
vs.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:34 pm

I feel like the font clashes as much as the color. It just seems like they mixed two different logos together.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

chizzielamer
Not-So-Newbie

Post by chizzielamer » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:15 pm

Basaku wrote:
It's not horrible but the old part just clashes with the new part way too much. I don't get why they didn't at least unify the color palette closer, you can't just cut the big red Z letter, put in something else instead and leave the rest unchanged. If they wanted to be lazy, why not just use the "Dragon Ball" part from the alternate version of the famous DBZ logo?

It would mesh much better with their Chou-kanji design:
vs.

you got a point there. The orange-ish color just looks better overall. The yellow falls quite flat.

Still looking forward to the V-Jump issue though!!

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:29 pm

I just realized this show still hasn't had its official website activated yet. :shock:
Maybe Tuesday?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Avenged
Advanced Regular

Post by Avenged » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:33 pm

Chuquita wrote:I just realized this show still hasn't had its official website activated yet. :shock:
Maybe Tuesday?
Hmm?

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/

Unless you mean, dragonballsuper.com
Dragon Blog Z - A Dragon Ball Z Community

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:35 pm

Avenged wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I just realized this show still hasn't had its official website activated yet. :shock:
Maybe Tuesday?
Hmm?

http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/

Unless you mean, dragonballsuper.com
I do mean dragonballsuper.com. I check it once every couple of days; I'm surprised it's not up yet.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:38 pm

In case you guys didn't notice, there's now a high quality copy of the new logo on the official site: http://www.toei-anim.co.jp/tv/dragon_s/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:40 pm

Anyone see this?