"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SSJGFrieza
Banned

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by SSJGFrieza » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:58 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:ROF is the perfect example of what I want.
No story and boring fights? Cause that's pretty much Z in a nutshell
Linda Young 4 lyfe

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:00 am

The question now is whether this show or the inevitable third movie will be taking more prominence. BoG and RoF both had "innovations" in the form of new transformations and stuff like that. Will the 3rd movie progress with things like that, or will it leave it up to Super?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:05 am

funrush wrote:The question now is whether this show or the inevitable third movie will be taking more prominence. BoG and RoF both had "innovations" in the form of new transformations and stuff like that. Will the 3rd movie progress with things like that, or will it leave it up to Super?
If Toriyama will be working on it and other movies then they'll probably advance the story alongside Super.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:06 am

Jump Tour and BOG are my main 'stuff like this', the biggest F thing I liked was the Gokû and Vegeta interactions.

I will be disappointed if this somehow takes place before both movies (because then it feels like 'then what was the point?'), but I want it to be after BOG. I mean, Beerus and Whis are there! If it's before they meet them and before Beerus wakes up, how could they be in this?

That's why I don't trust the translation on ANN.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:09 am

Chuquita wrote:Image
From the ANN article.

That looks like the cover for the first chapter of the manga in the lower left corner. Beerus, Whis, and Gohan with bang!
I can't buy this is pre BOG with a cover like that. *Tries to wait patiently for Kanzenshuu translation.*

If it is, it is, but Beerus and Whis are throwing it off.
What's with the shot of Goku with Gohan as a kid? Is that perhaps from the opening?

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:13 am

Before BoG!?

but...I...them....how...

*babbles incoherently*
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Kakarotto92
Beyond Newbie

Post by Kakarotto92 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:17 am

BlackCatScott wrote:
From the ANN article.

That looks like the cover for the first chapter of the manga in the lower left corner. Beerus, Whis, and Gohan with bang!
I can't buy this is pre BOG with a cover like that. *Tries to wait patiently for Kanzenshuu translation.*

What's with the shot of Goku with Gohan as a kid? Is that perhaps from the opening?
It's from Kai's opening.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:18 am

I find it so difficult to care about post Buu pre-BOG and F now that we have the movies. My hopes for post BOG aren't dashed yet. Well continue to Beerus and Whis until proven either way.
BlackCatScott wrote:
From the ANN article.

It's from the first Kai opening, I'm pretty sure.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Sparko33

Post by Sparko33 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:18 am

From what I can understand so far, maybe the series will cover pre-BoG, go through BoG and fill the gap between it and Resurrection F, possibly going beyond Resurrection F. (if 'Fat' Beerus is as strong as Beerus, even at their strength level during 'F' they can't beat him)

Anyone else think it will go beyond Resurrection F?

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:20 am

ANN's translation says that Goten and Trunks find a present for Videl since she's gonna have a child, where are people getting this "pre-BoG" stuff from? :|

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:22 am

Doctor. wrote:ANN's translation says that Goten and Trunks find a present for Videl since she's gonna have a child, where are people getting this "pre-BoG" stuff from? :|
No, it says they are out to get a present, because Goten is about to become a brother-in-law to Videl(ie. Gohan and Videl are about to get married).

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:23 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Doctor. wrote:ANN's translation says that Goten and Trunks find a present for Videl since she's gonna have a child, where are people getting this "pre-BoG" stuff from? :|
No, it says they are out to get a present, because Goten is about to become a brother-in-law to Videl(ie. Gohan and Videl are about to get married).
And were they married in Battle of Gods?

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:24 am

Wait, how can it be before Battle of Gods if Beerus and Whis are involved? Unless it completely disregards everything in that film, it would make no sense at all... this is becoming tedious!

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:27 am

Doctor. wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
And were they married in Battle of Gods?
Didnt Chichi mention that Videl is Gohan's wife at BoG?

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:31 am

Chi-Chi did refer to Videl as Gohan's wife, so they were definitely already married. This is getting more confusing all the time. There's no way this can be before Battle of Gods, but that plot point throws things off. I really hope that's a mistranslation.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:32 am

BlackCatScott wrote:Wait, how can it be before Battle of Gods if Beerus and Whis are involved? Unless it completely disregards everything in that film, it would make no sense at all... this is becoming tedious!
Exactly why I'm not taking anything at face value from ANN. I'm gonna wait for Kanzenshuu, or Kei, to clarify.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:33 am

Yes, they're married in BoG (it's mentioned in the scene where drunk Gohan deflects a bullet into Videl's leg).

Anyway, if this does begin before BoG, it's basically 100% guaranteed to only briefly cover that time period before going to post-BoG, due to the Hakaishin's presence.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:34 am

Interesting news about the first episode. I really have no idea how this is going to play out, and I think that's made me about 200% more excited. Maybe Super is going to fill in the gaps leading up to and between Battle of Gods and Revival of 'F'. It would be a strange direction that I think will lessen the excitement for some, but I can definitely appreciate the reason for doing so. It would certainly turn Revival of 'F' into a much more interesting film, that's for sure.

At the same time, I have to wonder whether we'll see some sort of uncharacteristic switcheroo, where we believe we're watching our own heroes for the initial episodes, only to see them and the Earth utterly obliterated by this new Hakaishin and his attendant. Suddenly we pull away from our own Whis' crystal ball to find Goku and Vegeta looking horrified at the events. Cue our heroes travelling to another universe to stop the malevolent Hakaishin! Dun dun dun.

No, I've never really bought into the whole parallel universe thing, so that little fan fiction ramble is absolutely not to be taken seriously. I think I'm just trying to come up with a way that this is going to be more interesting than it appears on paper, currently. I shouldn't, but I find it hard to believe Toei would begin the first series in so long with a whimper rather than a bang... But it is Toei, so who knows what they're up to! As I said, I'm still very excited either way, I'd just rather avoid retreading old ground or relying on excessive time skips for the sake of rushing along to tell a new story.

On a happier note, I absolutely adore this artwork. It reminds me so much of the old movie posters from back in the day. If I can get my hands on this in high resolution, I'm blowing it up to frame on my wall. It looks beautiful!
The manga isn't too far away, so we'll have our answers soon enough. I just hope it doesn't omit too much like the latest movie adaptation did. I can appreciate leaving out large turning points, but I'd like something significant enough to whet my appetite.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shinmaru » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 am

From the ANN article.

Gohan looks great.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:51 am

BlackCatScott wrote:Wait, how can it be before Battle of Gods if Beerus and Whis are involved? Unless it completely disregards everything in that film, it would make no sense at all... this is becoming tedious!
The shots of Whis and Beerus from the show have them facing the camera, maybe they are narrating the story? That would be fantastic if they are. Or maybe the show flip flops around the time line? We'll find out soon enough.