"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JamesOwnz
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by JamesOwnz » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:26 am

So nothing really big revealed after that 15 sec teaser?

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:53 am

wonder why they're so tight lipped about super? Kai is ending this week iirc and we only have a couple bits of info and a little manga chapter.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:09 am

I don't really get what people are expecting. You want them to spoil the whole plot, tell us who the villain is?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:10 am

mogi67 wrote:I don't really get what people are expecting. You want them to spoil the whole plot, tell us who the villain is?
That's essentially what's been done for every single new production up to this point. It's conspicuous by its absence.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:18 am

In a way, we should enjoy the fact that they're not spoiling anything.

AM Reflection
Not-So-Newbie

Post by AM Reflection » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:25 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:In a way, we should enjoy the fact that they're not spoiling anything.
For sure. They're doing the right thing. I don't think revealing anything more would create more interest than there is. With a movie, you kind of have to tell people what it's about and that requires more details to be shown. But this is different being a series. With Super, they've shown the initial cast of characters, previewed the first episode and that's enough. At the end of the first episode, there'll be a preview for the second episode. And so on.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:01 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:In a way, we should enjoy the fact that they're not spoiling anything.
It is so strange.

When Z came out I already knew all the plot synopsis up until EoZ. And even then... I was so excited to watch the whole series. The information I had was like some kind of mystical prophecy. I was just watching it unfold.

The only thing I didn't had any information when watching them the first time were the old movies. Although... I guess the Episode of Bardock and the JSAT special would be in there too.

Waiting for a whole series of DB without knowing how is going to unfold... is bizarre.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:23 am

VegettoEX wrote:
mogi67 wrote:I don't really get what people are expecting. You want them to spoil the whole plot, tell us who the villain is?
That's essentially what's been done for every single new production up to this point. It's conspicuous by its absence.
I kinda like it! Because it keeps everything a secret. It could be bad or good though! It's nice having somthing new Dragon Ball related that no one can really talk much about until it's happening .

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:26 am

soulnova wrote:
It is so strange.

When Z came out I already knew all the plot synopsis up until EoZ. And even then... I was so excited to watch the whole series. The information I had was like some kind of mystical prophecy. I was just watching it unfold.

The only thing I didn't had any information when watching them the first time were the old movies. Although... I guess the Episode of Bardock and the JSAT special would be in there too.

Waiting for a whole series of DB without knowing how is going to unfold... is bizarre.
When i watched DBZ for the first time as a kid i knew nothing about what was to come. I never had the internet back then so it was a lot harder to find out what was going to happen, it made things so much better.

I remember when me and my brother got some DBZ toys for Christmas. We hadn't seen Buu yet but the Buu arc was announced on Cartoon Network so we knew a new enemy was on the way. Out of the toys we got we tried to decide which one was Buu. I thought my Janemba toy was going to turn out to be Buu, but my brother picked out the right one and picked the toy Buu. When we seen Buu for the first time he cheered because he was right. Ahh, good times :D

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:36 am

Scott wrote:
soulnova wrote:
It is so strange.

When i watched DBZ for the first time as a kid i knew nothing about what was to come. I never had the internet back then so it was a lot harder to find out what was going to happen, it made things so much better.

I remember when me and my brother got some DBZ toys for Christmas. We hadn't seen Buu yet but the Buu arc was announced on Cartoon Network so we knew a new enemy was on the way. Out of the toys we got we tried to decide which one was Buu. I thought my Janemba toy was going to turn out to be Buu, but my brother picked out the right one and picked the toy Buu. When we seen Buu for the first time he cheered because he was right. Ahh, good times :D
I love the fact they're are being so secretive about the plot of DBS. Part of the reason people are so intrigued in Super, is the same reason millions of children and teenagers were so intrigued when watching DBZ for the first time back in the late 90s or early 2000s, you had no idea what was gonna happen next. The internet has literally spoiled TV viewers of this generation, and I'm glad Super is taking the "watch the damn show and don't surf the internet" approach.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:54 am

As long as they have all their ducks in a row. I don't want another Season 1 of Crystal. @_@
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:57 am

Out of curiosity, how good (or bad) has Toei's track record been in regards to anime originals when it comes to animation? Significantly better than the adaptations, the same, or worse?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Doctor. wrote:Out of curiosity, how good (or bad) has Toei's track record been in regards to anime originals when it comes to animation? Significantly better than the adaptations, the same, or worse?
Toei has a decent track record when it comes to their anime original precure series. Most of the time, especially this current season, look great. Part of why I think it looks so good this year like it used to is last year's, HaCha, looked awful. Most precure series look good most often than not though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:11 pm

So far I've been underwhelmed with anything dbs. It just doesn't look appealing. :? I know there's not much known about it but it looks like its going to take place before the movies? Or at least some of it.. The manga seems to be.. Champa looks really lame to me :| Its interesting the whole 12 different dimensions or whatever but I wasn't expecting a fat beerus. The song for the opening isn't so good either.. Ahh I don't know here's hoping it'll be good. :crazy:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:19 pm

Doctor. wrote:Out of curiosity, how good (or bad) has Toei's track record been in regards to anime originals when it comes to animation? Significantly better than the adaptations, the same, or worse?
Kyousougiga was brilliantly directed and animated. Saint Seiya Omega managed to get a lot of good animators and episode directors during its first year, especially in Episode #1 and Episode #51. Pretty Cure as a whole gets a lot of good animators, too. If the only Toei Animation stuff you've seen in recent years is the Dragon Ball films or specials then you haven't see anything.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Scott wrote:
soulnova wrote:
It is so strange.

I love the fact they're are being so secretive about the plot of DBS. Part of the reason people are so intrigued in Super, is the same reason millions of children and teenagers were so intrigued when watching DBZ for the first time back in the late 90s or early 2000s, you had no idea what was gonna happen next. The internet has literally spoiled TV viewers of this generation, and I'm glad Super is taking the "watch the damn show and don't surf the internet" approach.
I knew everything that was going to happen, but not because of the internet :lol: but because here in Mexico we had several Anime magazines that told the whole thing. I bought a special issue with the complete plot. I later got an in-depth episode and a complete character guides. They were not toei official... someone here in Mexico had put them together (I guess taking information from the original Japanese guides?) In any case, everyone knew what was coming.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Blackstripe
Regular

Post by Blackstripe » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:28 pm

I'm glad they're doing it this way. As others have said, this is how the people originally reading the Manga in Japan had to do it. To them, the world of Dragon Ball was an adventure that they waited each week to see the next part of. Now we get to basically experience the same thing with Dragon Ball Super.

I just hope they're putting as much enthusiasm into the series as we all are.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:31 pm

There's Saint Seiya: Soul of Gold, which has been mediocre at best. It's a third of the reasons why I fear for Super. The other two thirds are Sailor Moon Crystal and Sumitomo.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:33 pm

There’s 10 days remaining until Dragon Ball Super‘s July 5th debut! Until then, we’ll be counting down with daily content! For today, we’ve got… a nearly complete promotional poster! We’ve hung it up next to Kai (S)
What do they mean "nearly complete"?
JulieYBM wrote:
Kyousougiga was brilliantly directed and animated. Saint Seiya Omega managed to get a lot of good animators and episode directors during its first year, especially in Episode #1 and Episode #51. Pretty Cure as a whole gets a lot of good animators, too. If the only Toei Animation stuff you've seen in recent years is the Dragon Ball films or specials then you haven't see anything.
So, hopefully, if they get their heads into the game and play their cards right... we can get something moderately pretty?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Doctor. wrote:What do they mean "nearly complete"?
Maybe they still want to shift some things around, edit some text, etc.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::