"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Super's manga by Toyotarō

Post by Basaku » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:14 pm

Wait, wait wait wait wait.

Wait.

Are they seriously acting as if it was Goku who defeated Cell? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean really? REALLY? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:28 am

Basaku wrote:Are they seriously acting as if it was Goku who defeated Cell?
-gohans only achievement in the show
-in canon Satan gets credit
-now goku is getting credit
soon Gohan will be completely rectoned out.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:46 am

Ushabtis wrote:
-gohans only achievement in the show
-in canon Satan gets credit
-now goku is getting credit
soon Gohan will be completely rectoned out.
The decline, the disrespect, the denial of achivements lol. New Yamcha indeed :?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:49 am

...What?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:55 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
...What?
Read the firs chapter :P

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:06 am

I'm sure he has. I have too, and I still don't get what you're saying. Goku's image training against the main villains doesn't equal claiming credit for any of their defeats.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:15 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I'm sure he has. I have too, and I still don't get what you're saying. Goku's image training against the main villains doesn't equal claiming credit for any of their defeats.
Ye it does. With text on the side on first page and how the 'training' is presented. If someone is new to the franchise or forgot a lot from watching years ago they could never guess Gohan killed Cell after reading first Super chapter, it acts as if it was Goku lol.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:24 am

The text is one thing, but the training is an entirely different matter. If you want to get technical, Trunks killed Freeza, Gohan killed Cell and the entire population of Earth killed Buu. Yet Goku is still fighting all three of them. It's not because they are all opponents that he gets the credit for finishing off, it's just because because he fought them and he's using them to test his current skills.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:29 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The text is one thing, but the training is an entirely different matter. If you want to get technical, Trunks killed Freeza, Gohan killed Cell and the entire population of Earth killed Buu. Yet Goku is still fighting all three of them. It's not because they are all opponents that he gets the credit for finishing off, it's just because because he fought them and he's using them to test his current skills.
Agreed. I think there's a bit too much reading into what's presented there. Goku fought strong dudes, and he wants to fight strong dudes again, so he thinks back to the strong dudes he fought. That's all there is to it :).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:01 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:The text is one thing, but the training is an entirely different matter. If you want to get technical, Trunks killed Freeza, Gohan killed Cell and the entire population of Earth killed Buu. Yet Goku is still fighting all three of them. It's not because they are all opponents that he gets the credit for finishing off, it's just because because he fought them and he's using them to test his current skills.
VegettoEX wrote:Agreed. I think there's a bit too much reading into what's presented there. Goku fought strong dudes, and he wants to fight strong dudes again, so he thinks back to the strong dudes he fought. That's all there is to it :).
It's the same old concept of "Goku totally does everything no one else matters" being sold as it's been going ever since Toriyama backtracked from Gohan taking the lead. No "reading too much into it" required, it's very clear :)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:03 am

Not in the slightest. That's you placing your own feelings towards the series onto work where it simply doesn't exist. It's absolutely you reading too much into it. Goku is literally stood there thinking about bad guys he wished he could fight again. Nothing less, nothing more. There's no pro-Goku agenda here.
Last edited by Ajay on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:03 am

Basaku wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:Agreed. I think there's a bit too much reading into what's presented there. Goku fought strong dudes, and he wants to fight strong dudes again, so he thinks back to the strong dudes he fought. That's all there is to it :).
It's the same old concept of "Goku totally does everything no one else matters" being sold as it's been going ever since Toriyama backtracked from Gohan taking the lead. No "reading too much into it" required, it's very clear :)
Yeah, it's very clear that the dude is daydreaming. LOL

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:14 am

The level to which people will reach for anything to complain about in regards to Goku now is depressing as all HFIL. Oy vey.

So correct me if I'm wrong, this manga is supposed to be monthly, right? About how far away are we from the next chapter? I'm curious if it's going to be actually adapting the show in general and is going to have to either fall behind or seriously abridge events to keep up, or if it's going to just be teasers essentially for what is set to be the next episode at the time of the issue's release.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:20 am

V-Jump releases on the 21st each month (so long as it isn't a Sunday). So, assuming no breaks, we'll officially get the next chapter after 3 episodes of Super have aired (though it will almost certainly leak before the 3rd), and then there will generally be 4 episodes between each chapter from that point on. So an uphill battle for the manga adaptation if they intend to cover the series properly, especially if we keep getting only ~15 pages.

Cadellin

Post by Cadellin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:25 pm

The manga has three options in my eyes- Get left behind, Run through everything at ridiculous pace to keep up, or throw continuity out the window and simply adapt random chunks of action like the first quarterly run of Dragonball SD did. I have a feeling it will simply be left behind, but anything could happen at this stage.

If Toyotaro ever gets an autobiography, someone needs to title it 'From AF to Ressurection F'. My money was always on Naho Ooishi for a project like this, but I am happy with what I've seen so far from Toyotaro.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:30 pm

Cadellin wrote:The manga has three options in my eyes- Get left behind, Run through everything at ridiculous pace to keep up, or throw continuity out the window and simply adapt random chunks of action like the first quarterly run of Dragonball SD did. I have a feeling it will simply be left behind, but anything could happen at this stage.

If Toyotaro ever gets an autobiography, someone needs to title it 'From AF to Ressurection F'. My money was always on Naho Ooishi for a project like this, but I am happy with what I've seen so far from Toyotaro.
Or it could be a useful piece of additional material and cover information that's not covered in the anime. Like, for example, x character's training or y character's backstory.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Basaku wrote:
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I'm sure he has. I have too, and I still don't get what you're saying. Goku's image training against the main villains doesn't equal claiming credit for any of their defeats.
Ye it does. With text on the side on first page and how the 'training' is presented. If someone is new to the franchise or forgot a lot from watching years ago they could never guess Gohan killed Cell after reading first Super chapter, it acts as if it was Goku lol.
The text just says that Goku saved the universe from Cell, which is true, since if Goku hadn't sacrificed his life, everyone would have died, and if Goku hadn't trained & hadn't encouraged Gohan during the final clash, everyone would have died.

As for his image training, Goku is just imagining himself fighting them, it doesn't mean anything.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:26 pm

Cadellin wrote:The manga has three options in my eyes- Get left behind, Run through everything at ridiculous pace to keep up, or throw continuity out the window and simply adapt random chunks of action like the first quarterly run of Dragonball SD did. I have a feeling it will simply be left behind, but anything could happen at this stage.
I see a fourth one: the manga functions like the original Toriyama manga did: it tells the basic story and the anime has it more fleshed-out with "filler"-like material (I know it technically won't count as filler but I don't see any better term). For example the first chapter and the first episode: in the chapter we have the Goku-Goten interaction and Mr. Satan at the end + Beerus and Whis hanging around on this planet Beerus destroys later on. The episode could start with the Z-recap only to have (as a comically unsuitable follow-up) Chi-Chi send Goku to work in the field with Goku complaining about wanting to train, then proceed through Beerus awakening, Chi-Chi giving Goten the food to deliver (possibly the present-hunting with Trunks happens here - there may be an added fun point for having to keep Goku's food in edible condition), some random snapshots of other characters (I can especially see something about Mr. Satan and the peace prize, possibly with some thought given to Gohan's and Videl's marriage) and only then have Goten arrive with the food. The training montage can easily be extended to fill the episode with nice battle animation so many DB fans can't wait to see. Concurrently Beerus is being (not) poisoned and destroys the planet (I doubt they will add much to this storyline - maybe a montage showing different foodstuffs being brought out?). Then we go back to Goku who rescues Goten and the agricultural wossname. Finally Mr. Satan arrives, the counting/bartering scene can get longer and the episode ends with Goku smiling at the camera.
Here, a whole episode from a very short chapter. I know now how Toei filler writers must have felt :)

Cadellin

Post by Cadellin » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:34 pm

Tzigi wrote:
I see a fourth one: the manga functions like the original Toriyama manga did: it tells the basic story and the anime has it more fleshed-out with "filler"-like material (I know it technically won't count as filler but I don't see any better term). For example the first chapter and the first episode: in the chapter we have the Goku-Goten interaction and Mr. Satan at the end + Beerus and Whis hanging around on this planet Beerus destroys later on. The episode could start with the Z-recap only to have (as a comically unsuitable follow-up) Chi-Chi send Goku to work in the field with Goku complaining about wanting to train, then proceed through Beerus awakening, Chi-Chi giving Goten the food to deliver (possibly the present-hunting with Trunks happens here - there may be an added fun point for having to keep Goku's food in edible condition), some random snapshots of other characters (I can especially see something about Mr. Satan and the peace prize, possibly with some thought given to Gohan's and Videl's marriage) and only then have Goten arrive with the food. The training montage can easily be extended to fill the episode with nice battle animation so many DB fans can't wait to see. Concurrently Beerus is being (not) poisoned and destroys the planet (I doubt they will add much to this storyline - maybe a montage showing different foodstuffs being brought out?). Then we go back to Goku who rescues Goten and the agricultural wossname. Finally Mr. Satan arrives, the counting/bartering scene can get longer and the episode ends with Goku smiling at the camera.
Here, a whole episode from a very short chapter. I know now how Toei filler writers must have felt :)
Dedicated filler writers, I cannot think of a more awful career lol. There is another option, although i don't think it is that likely at this point in light of recent footage- that the manga and anime share only a name, and are otherwise completely unrelated stories. Anything could happen at this point.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:14 pm

I don't think that's going to be the case, at least not in the long run (maybe you're right about the first episode).
If the manga adaptation is monthly and intends to tell a summarised version of the episode, it'd have to:

* Adapt only one out of four episodes, which would make it a piss-poor manga adaptation by itself.
* Adapt every episode and fall behind really quickly, which means that it would stop being a good commercial strategy, and also that, in order to fully adapt the show, it'd have to be in print for over four times the running time of the show.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts