"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:27 am

The idea going to other universes sound cool. It kinda reminds me of Kamen Rider Decade with the whole universe traveling idea. I'm not crazy about the idea behind of new Dragon Balls. I hope they will be explain better then the Black Star Dragon Balls where in GT.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cold Cobra
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Cold Cobra » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:34 am

I think we all saw the other universe coming after Battle of Gods revealed the fact they were in a multi-verse. Still, can't wait to see what happens! New Dragon Ball arc? Still so weird to think about...
Er.... No.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:41 am

If these new Dragon Balls are from a new universe then I will be okay with it. If they where created by Kami and no one knew about them for years then that's going to be a major plot hole. The Black Star Dragon Balls where a big plot hole in GT since the radar never pick them up for years. Not to mention if they where so dangerous then why didn't Mr. Popo get rid of them?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:41 am

So freaking hyped! So this seems like Super will have the true BoG and F, really can't wait to see how much more fleshed out it is. Gigantic Super Dragon Balls! Wow this has me hyped, hopefully it'll be like Goku's adventures in early DB but on a grander scale.

Tzigi
Regular

Post by Tzigi » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:52 am

Now, that makes me laugh: isn't it precisely "Dragon Ball Multiverse"? Salagir must be proud :)

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:53 am

I want them to get rid of wish inconsistencies. By the time Super starts, Shenlong should either be inactive or have one wish left (since they used one to make people forget about Boo). This could go three ways:

- Pilaf, Shuu and Mai get turned into kids and Beers doesn't need Shenlong to know about SSG.
- Shenlong tells them about SSG and Pilaf, Shuu and Mai have their normal age.
- Tagoma and Sorbet revive Freeza and neither Pilaf nor Beers get their wish (which would make FnF happen not too long from KtK).

Not sure I want Namekians in every Universe but if they state every Universe has a race that can create Dragon Balls I'll be happy and that'll renew the Dragon Balls' status as key mystical items. Toriyama could also have every Universe have it's own Majin, to be consistent with the new backstory for Boo.
Last edited by alakazam^ on Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 am

*wakes up*

*looks at forum*

WAIT WHAT

*frantically flips back through pages to where I left off*
Cold Cobra wrote:I think we all saw the other universe coming after Battle of Gods revealed the fact they were in a multi-verse.
We did indeed! To the point where it was actually kind of weird when RF didn't involve any other universes...
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:00 am

alakazam^ wrote:I want them to get rid of wish inconsistencies. By the time Super starts, Shenlong should either be inactive or have one wish left (since they used one to make people forget about Boo). This could go three ways:

- Pilaf, Shuu and Mai get turned into kids and Beers doesn't need Shenlong to know about SSG.
- Shenlong tells them about SSG and Pilaf, Shuu and Mai have their normal age.
- Tagoma and Sorbet revive Freeza and neither Pilaf nor Beers get their wish (which would make FnF happen not too long from KtK).

Not sure I want Namekians in every Universe but if they state every Universe has a race that can create Dragon Balls I'll be happy and that'll renew the Dragon Balls status as key mystical items. Toriyama could also have every Universe have it's own Majin, to be consistent with the new backstory for Boo.
We're gonna get more inconsistencies, not less. Though it seems the staff has at least tried a bit, so perhaps they can fix more from the scripts they're given, like they did in FNF.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:15 am

dbzfan7 wrote:We're gonna get more inconsistencies, not less. Though it seems the staff has at least tried a bit, so perhaps they can fix more from the scripts they're given, like they did in FNF.
Them changing both movies' timelines makes it easier to tweak certain inconsistensies they had. As far as we know, we don't need to deal with Bulma's age or the time Beers has been sleeping nor does Pilaf, Shuu and Mai need to appear (at least not until FnF, where they help Tagoma and Sorbet). They just need to plan around the wishes and when the Dragon Balls are active.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:20 am

The Pilaf gang could already be kids from using the Dragon Balls before the Buu Arc in this shifted continuity. They could have been intending to use them to wish for wealth each time they were active after that, but Goku and the gang kept getting to them first. So most of BOG can just slide in as it were.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:28 am

I hope this is the only alternate reality universe
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:42 am

The 2 movies are great but they're very rushed thanks to the time limit they had which won't be the case here so they'll be able to do a lot more in terms of fleshing out the plot points and maybe introduce new ones alongside having more and longer battles.

"Since it’s another universe, loads of new characters will turn up"

This well either be a really long arc or u6 is where all the new arcs will take place which I hope isn't the case cause I want to see other universes.

In terms of Freeza hopefully this time Vegeta will get to kill him this time.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:49 am

I assume they're still going to use animation from the movies? Man that is gonna be so jarring especially when "F" rolls around

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:54 am

sintzu wrote:The 2 movies are great but they're very rushed thanks to the time limit they had which won't be the case here so they'll be able to do a lot more in terms of fleshing out the plot points and maybe introduce new ones alongside having more and longer battles.

This well either be a really long arc or u6 is where all the new arcs will take place which I hope isn't the case cause I want to see other universes.

Universe 6 comes after Freeza.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:01 am

alakazam^ wrote:
sintzu wrote:The 2 movies are great but they're very rushed thanks to the time limit they had which won't be the case here so they'll be able to do a lot more in terms of fleshing out the plot points and maybe introduce new ones alongside having more and longer battles.

Universe 6 comes after Freeza.
I know.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:07 am

Well, that explains everything!

As Mike and Heath theorised in the podcast, as opposed to a retelling, it looks like an outright expansion and working around of the period before and after Battle of Gods.

I'm equally as surprised and unsurprised that the notion of other Universes is being explored. Unsurprised as it has been more or less top of wishlist of the fandom since Battle of Gods and those remarks that Beerus made towards the end of the film, and surprised as it's very Toriyama-esque to throw out little teasing yarns like that and then subsequently forget all about them!
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:13 am

sintzu wrote: This well either be a really long arc or u6 is where all the new arcs will take place which I hope isn't the case cause I want to see
Yeah that probably won't happen, I doubt they're going to change any major plot points like that. For "F" they'll probably show Freeza training, more Goku and Vegeta training and them getting new outfits etc and probably more fluff pieces too.

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:30 am

Well, this is exciting! Confirms way more about the series than I'd thought they would at this point - a stark contrast to the last month or so where we've known basically nothing at all.

A little miffed we're starting off with retellings of Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F' straight away - mainly because I finally got around to catching up on Battle of Gods - but it was pretty much expected at this point. It sounds like the timeline etc. have been tweaked a little, though, and they'll have room to expand them further due to the serialised format, so hopefully they'll throw in some interesting developments. Wonder if they'll do an episode recapping some of Jaco the Galactic Patrolman as a side-story or special during the Resurrection 'F' arc, to better explain who the hell he is to anime-only viewers? Hopefully we'll also see some more of Goku's Super Saiyan God form, as well as how Vegeta attains the form between the two arcs.

Providing the plotlines don't deviate too far from the originals, I do hope they reuse animation from the movies where possible during the retellings, though. That way, in any episodes which use footage from the movies, it might allow them to spend more of their budget on making sure any new cuts are higher quality than they otherwise might have been, which will help them match in better with the footage produced for the original movies.

The most exciting thing, of course, is the information on the new arc where they hop over into Universe 6! Presumably this means the Dragon Balls we see on the front of the first manga chapter are the Super Dragon Balls, hence the 9-star ball. Wonder how large they'll be compared to the ones we've seen before - as large as the ones on Namek, or even larger? Hopping into another universe should throw up the potential for all sorts of interesting characters and situations to turn up - I just hope they deal with it better than GT did with its Dragon Ball hunt through the galaxy. I also agree that it'd make sense for Champa and his female Whis-alike companion to be Universe 6's version of Beerus and Whis, though only time will tell in that regard.

Looking forward to seeing where this journey takes us! = D

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:41 am

DisapprovingOwl wrote:Hopefully we'll also see some more of Goku's Super Saiyan God form, as well as how Vegeta attains the form between the two arcs.
He might attain it in the 1st arc to fight Champa cause I doubt Goku can fight him and Beerus at the same time.

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:43 am

sintzu wrote:
DisapprovingOwl wrote:Hopefully we'll also see some more of Goku's Super Saiyan God form, as well as how Vegeta attains the form between the two arcs.
He might attain it in the 1st arc to fight Champa cause I doubt Goku can fight him and Beerus at the same time.
Good point - I guess it's best to just wait and see, as at this point we have no idea how different these retellings might be compared to the original movie versions. = )