"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:40 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:So "Battle of Gods arc" and Revival of F arc" seriously do not even imply a retelling of some sort?
On the contrary, it acknowledges them as central events of their respective arcs. The series will expand on them, not retell them.
Showing them means they are retelling them, just because they are retelling them doesn't mean they'll be completely different. They are retelling them in a different medium.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:43 am

Aren't the Namekian Dragon Balls already "Super Giant"? :wink:
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:45 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:So "Battle of Gods arc" and Revival of F arc" seriously do not even imply a retelling of some sort?
On the contrary, it acknowledges them as central events of their respective arcs. The series will expand on them, not retell them.
Which would reasonably fit within the definition of a retelling, "a new, and often updated or retranslated, version of a story": http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/retelling

A retelling doesn't necessarily have to be a complete reimagining - an expanded version of the same events would still fall under that definition, as would simply including the events as-is and chopping them into episodes (not that I think the latter would happen - if nothing else it'd be really awkward pacing-wise). It would still be presenting the story in a new way, and as part of the Dragon Ball Super series - therefore the series would be retelling the events of the movies, even if not expanding or altering them in any way.
Last edited by DisapprovingOwl on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:47 am

Basaku wrote:
soulnova wrote:If this is 6 months after Buu theres no way to have Pan being the 5th saiyan for the ritual. They will need Tarble... or change the ritual itself.
Trunks' long lost twin suddenly appears!
Future Trunks comes for a visit? That provokes Jaco to show up to arrest him? Lol that would be fun...
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:47 am

goku the krump dancer wrote:Aren't the Namekian Dragon Balls already "Super Giant"? :wink:
Maybe the Super Balls are the size of a house.

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:48 am

Basaku wrote:
soulnova wrote:If this is 6 months after Buu theres no way to have Pan being the 5th saiyan for the ritual. They will need Tarble... or change the ritual itself.
This gave me a good laugh XD
Still, Tarble's existence is just as -if not more- stupid, so who knows...
Last edited by Avery on Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 am

Basaku wrote:ROF can be totally skipped, it's structured as a filler anyway. All that it adds happens before it even starts (Super Bluper) and Jaco can be introduced anytime else. BOG will have to be retold tho.
I think it's important in the sense of probably being a preparation for their actual fight in the other universe later, mastering SSGSS and all that. I guess Freeza's return will be seen as an opportunity for training, and now they have the chance to work on that angle better, without the restraints RoF had of making it a standalone story.
Cold Skin wrote:an "all new" take on something pre-existing like BOG and RF is not "all new" by definition anyway, so such statement would already be a lie right now
It's not, because the announcement said "done entirely with new animation', not "an all-new story"
Last edited by Araki on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 am

Basaku wrote:
Tights shows up and helps in the ritual. Toriyama just forgets whose sister she's supposed to be.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:53 am

I'm excited what they will do with BoG and RoF when they are not restricted to the length of a movie. I just hope they omit the party and the 2008 ova.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:54 am

As I see it, we can have the following ways to solve the Saiyan God transformation:

-Tarble
-Future Trunks
-The Ritual is different
-A new Saiyan shows up
-They retcon Pan/Bra's birthdays

I still want Tarble to come by.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:59 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
LOL you guys are really arguing about this? It's obvious that they're retelling the movies to some degree. Walready have BoG being contradicted in chapter 1.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:02 am

I can't lie, I'm a little disappointed to see the films kind of thrown under the bus to be re-told in series form now. It kind of takes away a little excitement from Resurrection F for me. I'm sure they'll make things different enough to still be interesting for fans that have already seen both films, but it's still a little concerning for me.

As for the story coming beyond that though - I'm definitely intrigued to see where we go with that. Looks like we really will get to see another universe after all! Can't wait to see what kind of characters come from that. It would be particularly interesting if at least some of the forces they come up against there aren't really villains, but are actually heroes themselves, and it's more of a conflict of ideologies or 'who owns these Dragon Balls' rather than good versus evil.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:04 am

Seems like the story is turning out to become another GT. Why would they be chasing for a new dragon balls if they never even bother using their current ones. Ohh Perhaps those Super Dragon balls are the Black Star Dragon balls that appeared in GT that never got a back story on how they came to existence.

And if Champa turns out to be the god of the 6th universe, then this story is already going to be a failure with copy and pasted gods that have no character development.
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:09 am

soulnova wrote:As I see it, we can have the following ways to solve the Saiyan God transformation:

-Tarble
-Future Trunks
-The Ritual is different
-A new Saiyan shows up
-They retcon Pan/Bra's birthdays

I still want Tarble to come by.
Options 1 and 5 seem the most logical. They will most likely just retcon Pan's birthday. However, given the nature and time period of the series, it wouldn't surprise me if they use Tarble to make him canon. Otherwise, he won't even exist.
GokuRules987 wrote:Seems like the story is turning out to become another GT. Why would they be chasing for a new dragon balls if they never even bother using their current ones. Ohh Perhaps those Super Dragon balls are the Black Star Dragon balls that appeared in GT that never got a back story on how they came to existence.
Well, we've already seen a 9 star dragon ball, so that debunks the black star dragon ball theory. Secondly, the black star dragon balls did have a backstory--they were created by the original Kami that did not split with Piccolo.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:10 am

GokuRules987 wrote:have no character development.
Oh, so you've seen the series?

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:11 am

GokuRules987 wrote:Seems like the story is turning out to become another GT. Why would they be chasing for a new dragon balls if they never even bother using their current ones. Ohh Perhaps those Super Dragon balls are the Black Star Dragon balls that appeared in GT that never got a back story on how they came to existence.

And if Champa turns out to be the god of the 6th universe, then this story is already going to be a failure with copy and pasted gods that have no character development.
How about we wait and see before we claim it's another GT cause nobody really knows what going to happen in super :problem:

Avery
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Avery » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:12 am

Maybe they wished for something that exceeded Shen long's power (as usual) and were told about the super dragon balls then set off to gather them? Just saying.
An angry Final Fantasy fan wrote: And after all the outrage, when I'm ready, I'll go out on to GameStop and buy a Persona 5 copy. And when my mother finds me investing my precious time trying to bond with this hot anime girl, I'll look straight into her eyes and say "but have you looked at the menu screen? have you actually seen the menu screen? In that very moment, she knows. She fucking knows. As she handles me the nugget pieces she previously cooked for me, she leaves my room with these words: "Persona 5 is the true savior of the JRPG".
VegettoEX wrote: In a blunt nutshell, no-one wants to read bullshit. Don't post bullshit. Be a cool person that posts cool things that other people would actually want to read. Don't be Zamasu from episode 63 talking to himself.

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:16 am

Not understanding why they couldn't just have Super fully take place in Universe 6.

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:19 am

I find it funny when people compare "going on a trip after a different set of Dragonballs" to GT or think it's gonna be related when, well, Namek was about that too, only much earlier. I immediately think of Namek.

As for "they have no reason to go after them", that's just ridiculous considering the show didn't even start.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:20 am

Even if it borrows ideas from GT or flat out rips-off from it, it's the execution that counts. GT bombed because it was boring, emphasized too much on Goku, had poor characterizations for the new characters, put them in the sidelines before properly introducing them to the audience, had underwhelming battles, generic villains, and the list goes on. The concepts themselves were good enough to make a great series though.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super