"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:10 pm

Re: canon

I don't think I ever cared about canon, not really. I pick and choose what I like and that's my own head canon. I don't have anything to prove to anyone about events of this series, it's a fictional series! I see it is important to some people, but I don't understand putting that above the potential to have a good time with whatever you may like in the new material. Feels too much like treating it like a sporting event instead of fiction.

MST3000 theme song comes to mind.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:17 pm

The 2013 and 2015 films are no worse off now than they were when they didn't occur in the original Dragon Ball comic or Dragon Ball Z animated series.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:24 pm

It doesn't really matter if it's canon or non canon. it still exists and you can continue to watch and enjoy it whenever you want.
But people won't treat the movies in the same way afterwards. If these retelling are going to be the "true" version of the story then people won't really care or talk about the movies as much anymore.

Who would want to watch them knowing they're a condensed version of a story that didn't really happen. Even if you did it wouldn't be as enjoyable watching them I don't think.

It's particularly annoying knowing that there is zero reason for it to be done.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:28 pm

Bullza wrote:
It doesn't really matter if it's canon or non canon. it still exists and you can continue to watch and enjoy it whenever you want.
But people won't treat the movies in the same way afterwards. If these retelling are going to be the "true" version of the story then people won't really care or talk about the movies as much anymore.

Who would want to watch them knowing they're a condensed version of a story that didn't really happen. Even if you did it wouldn't be as enjoyable watching them I don't think.

That's my main gripe with it. It's not like they were in a position where they were forced to do this.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:29 pm

Bullza wrote:

That's true, although it depends on how they'll modify them for the series. FnF certainly lost most of it's appeal to me.

The "loads of new characters will turn up" is bittersweet since most likely current ones will be pushed aside.

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:33 pm

Chuquita wrote:Re: canon

I don't think I ever cared about canon, not really. I pick and choose what I like and that's my own head canon. I don't have anything to prove to anyone about events of this series, it's a fictional series! I see it is important to some people, but I don't understand putting that above the potential to have a good time with whatever you may like in the new material. Feels too much like treating it like a sporting event instead of fiction.

I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:36 pm

LightBing wrote:The "loads of new characters will turn up" is bittersweet since most likely current ones will be pushed aside.
It looks like this'll be the case for the humans and half Saiyans but based on the poster it looks like Piccolo will play a main role in this or at least in the 1st arc.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:36 pm

Everyone needs to chill out!! Yeah I'm all about fair criticism but the speculation here being touted as almost fact is jumping to major conclusions.

For all you know, only like 5 or 6 episodes will air to recap the events from BOG and ROF in order to catch people who didn't or won't watch them up on the timeline. Summarized versions of the movies if you will. Just because they get reanimated a bit wouldn't change the event. It wouldn't be that different then when they reanimated older scenes in DBZ. Like when Vegets talks about past battles with Goku when he declares him No. 1. The animation makes those scenes look different but it doesn't mean they didn't happen that way. It may not be 100% exactly the same way as the films but it will likely summarize them.

Who knows, but what's the big deal? Obviously those things still happened or they wouldn't title the arcs the NAMES OF THR MOVIES themselves. It's obvious from the shows title that they want to get that out of the way as quickly as possible so they can get to the Universe 6 stuff because that's what the show is probably really about.

They really have to do it though. To someone just starting the series, like children (the target audience here), it would be confusing to jump right into universe 6 stuff with characters like Beerus coming out of nowhere and Goku suddenly able to attain god powers. See, children don't have it in their control usually to buy or watch movies. Because it requires a parent to take them to the theater or buy the bluray. Children don't have money, their parents do. But TV is free.

So this has to be done in an effort to introduce them to the stories they may have missed. You're all looking at this from a strictly adult perspective.

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Finally, it's my turn to post something 8)...

I've read Toriyama's plot details, and... I kind of like it.

In my opinion:

1. The story will start with some light hearted episodes involving Goku(+possibly Chi-chi), Gohan + Videl, Trunks + Goten, Mr. Satan + Mr. Buu, maybe Bulma + Vegeta.
2. I don't really see Toriyama to right out say that he will change/retell the movies, rather that makes an arc out of them adding extra materials.(I don't see the point to have Beerus waking up after 6 months after the Majin Arc, so I expect a time-skip) I think the Battle of Gods + Resurrection 'F' will form one single arc, as I understood Toriyama's words.
3. I like that we finally see one of the other universes(at least).
4. If we'll end up to have movies changed/placed earlier in timeline, they could do that only if Pan is being changed to be born way earlier, so they must drop the EOZ, and possibly erase Uub too. I would not like if that were the case.
Last edited by Low Tone G on Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Bullza wrote:But people won't treat the movies in the same way afterwards. If these retelling are going to be the "true" version of the story then people won't really care or talk about the movies as much anymore.

But that's wrong. There isn't "Zero" reason for it to be done.

Stopping the show twice to tell fans to go see a movie would destroy the series' narrative flow and in some cases, leave some fans lost if they can't manage to get the film (especially given the ridiculously high pricing of DVDs in Japan), or upset other fans that they're required to buy this movie to get the full experience for their free TV series (Toei does movies for shows, but they're almost never required viewing, just some fun side story that may be off hand mentioned once or bring in a special movie toy for a one-off episode).
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:45 pm

Low Tone G wrote:I think the Battle of Gods + Resurrection 'F' will form one single arc, as I understood Toriyama's words.
" the “Battle of Gods” arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the “Revival of ‘F'” arc where Freeza comes back to life"

It looks like each will have it's own arc or he would've said the Beerus&Freeza arc or something similar instead of saying it the way he did.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:46 pm

I can see the "retellings" being summarized versions of what happened where it gives us more new material then just retreading. Like showing Freeza train and glazing over the epic fight... Leaving that mostly for the film to be purchased or viewed but still getting the idea across of what happened while making it interesting still for those who have already seen the movies.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:47 pm

Mewzard wrote:
Bullza wrote:But people won't treat the movies in the same way afterwards. If these retelling are going to be the "true" version of the story then people won't really care or talk about the movies as much anymore.

Stopping the show twice to tell fans to go see a movie would destroy the series' narrative flow and in some cases, leave some fans lost if they can't manage to get the film (especially given the ridiculously high pricing of DVDs in Japan), or upset other fans that they're required to buy this movie to get the full experience for their free TV series (Toei does movies for shows, but they're almost never required viewing, just some fun side story that may be off hand mentioned once or bring in a special movie toy for a one-off episode).
They could very easily air the movies on TV or they could simply give a brief recap of what went on in the two movies. There was absolutely no reason to potentially retcon numerous things from the movies in order to make Super fit in the time line. There were much better alternatives available. None of which Akira Toriyama and Toei decided to take.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:55 pm

Birusu16 wrote:
Mewzard wrote:

They could very easily air the movies on TV or they could simply give a brief recap of what went on in the two movies. There was absolutely no reason to potentially retcon numerous things from the movies in order to make Super fit in the time line. There were much better alternatives available. None of which Akira Toriyama and Toei decided to take.
Well you really don't know yet how upset you should be since you don't know how much they did or didn't retcon. If they air the movies then it would eat into their sales of those movies. If they did a short recap, it wouldn't properly build new characters or events for those who haven't seen them. And as I pointed out above, this series is for children who don't have money and can't freely buy the movies or take themselves to the theater to see it. So for them, this will properly develop characters like Beerus so the universe 6 stuff is more impactful.

You can't have a good story if you don't care about the characters. And you can't have good characters if you don't take the time to develop and flesh them out.

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:00 pm

bleed0range wrote:Well you really don't know yet how upset you should be since you don't know how much they did or didn't retcon. If they air the movies then it would eat into their sales of those movies. If they did a short recap, it wouldn't properly build new characters or events for those who haven't seen them. And as I pointed out above, this series is for children who don't have money and can't freely buy the movies or take themselves to the theater to see it. So for them, this will properly develop characters like Beerus so the universe 6 stuff is more impactful.

You can't have a good story if you don't care about the characters. And you can't have good characters if you don't take the time to develop and flesh them out.
Airing the movies once before Super would hardly do anything to the sales for those movies, especially BoGs considering it's been out for several years.

I'm not changing my stance on this. There was absolutely no reason for them to do this IMO. They had much better alternatives and chose not to take them.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:06 pm

There's plenty of reason to remake the films as arcs. Now they have freedom to do with those storylines as they like.
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:19 pm

sintzu wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:I think the Battle of Gods + Resurrection 'F' will form one single arc, as I understood Toriyama's words.
" the “Battle of Gods” arc where the God of Destruction Beerus appears and the “Revival of ‘F'” arc where Freeza comes back to life"

It looks like each will have it's own arc or he would've said the Beerus&Freeza arc or something similar instead of saying it the way he did.
You're right... All the same. So ultimately the 6th Universe quest will be the third arc.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:23 pm

mogi67 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Re: canon

I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure
You mind if I sig that, Mogi67? Imma sig that.
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:42 pm

Be my guest :thumbup:

Tennessaiyan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tennessaiyan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:45 pm

mogi67 wrote:Be my guest :thumbup:
Thanks, man. I just can't agree more with that, and I've never been able to understand why people can't enjoy a show like DB for what it is: a fantastical story that doesn't always gave legit or completely sensical explanations for everything.
mogi67 wrote:I kind of view Dragon Ball the same way I view mythology. It can be convoluted, contradictory, but always a treasure.