"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:47 am

Here are Toriyama's colored designs for the characters. We still don't get a name for Girl!Whis, which is making her feel more important...

Also, before whoever it was that was curious asks, they are still using the same thin Super Saiyan God Goku design from Battle of Gods (not that any change was actually expected). There are more shots from the book, but nothing super interesting that I've seen so far so I won't be posting anymore scans from the book. But I will leave this Toyotaro comic about Champa actually being Beerus inflated with air:

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Low Tone G
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:08 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Here are Toriyama's colored designs for the characters. We still don't get a name for Girl!Whis, which is making her feel more important...

Also, before whoever it was that was curious asks, they are still using the same thin Super Saiyan God Goku design from Battle of Gods (not that any change was actually expected). There are more shots from the book, but nothing super interesting that I've seen so far so I won't be posting anymore scans from the book. But I will leave this Toyotaro comic about Champa actually being Beerus inflated with air:

I love that female character's design, I love the fact that she is taller then both Vegeta and Goku, maybe Yamcha too. :D

That comic was fun :lol:
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:29 am

I like that comic. It's pretty nice. Now I definitely will keep calling Champa, Fat Beerus.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:41 am

Other things I initially overlooked from the scans:
--Vegeta's casual wear is basically his badman outfit in a different color scheme, no badman on the back, and less messy (front) shirttail.
--The design for Bluma in her pajamas from when she talks to Tapion in Movie 13 is included in the book...
--Kid Trunks has a Hawaiian outfit, presumably for Episode 2.
--Goten may be joining them on the trip, as he has a similar outfit to Trunks'.
--Recycled BOG production images for Pilaf and the gang are in the book, so they are presumably staying kids in the TV adaptation?

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:06 am

dbzfan7 wrote:I like that comic. It's pretty nice. Now I definitely will keep calling Champa, Fat Beerus.
He technically is. I think it's safe to say that every universe's God of Destruction are merely alternate versions of Beerus and Whis.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:21 am

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I like that comic. It's pretty nice. Now I definitely will keep calling Champa, Fat Beerus.
He technically is. I think it's safe to say that every universe's God of Destruction are merely alternate versions of Beerus and Whis.
I don't really think it's safe to say that. It is stated that our heroes will leave for Universe 6, which the neighbor of ours. So maybe they are only related in some perspective, but I don't really see why should all the Gods of Destruction and attendants be alternate version of ours...

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:35 am

That comic is awesome :clap: :lol: getting more hyped just 2D to go!!! this is gonna be an awesome ride.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:35 am

Low Tone G wrote:
FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
I don't really think it's safe to say that. It is stated that our heroes will leave for Universe 6, which the neighbor of ours. So maybe they are only related in some perspective, but I don't really see why should all the Gods of Destruction and attendants be alternate version of ours...
Why not? It's an alternate universe. It makes sense that each of the alternative universes would have Gods of Destruction that are all alternate versions of themselves.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:41 am

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:Why not? It's an alternate universe. It makes sense that each of the alternative universes would have Gods of Destruction that are all alternate versions of themselves.
Actually, it is NOT an alternate universe, as mentioned by Toriyama too. He says it is a new and neighbor universe with loads of new characters, which will be designed by himself.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:45 am

Nothing so far implies Champa and Girl!Whis are actually from another universe though. Chozenshu material (which contains some tidbits on the universes) doesn't specifically say Universe 7 only has one Hakaishin and potentially even leaves it open that "the Hakaishin who manages Earth is 'Beerus'. The fact that he has awakened means that planets within his jurisdiction will be destroyed." It might have been true that Beerus was the only one in the films, but with Super potentially retconning things, that's up for debate again.

White Oni
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by White Oni » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:48 am

as anyone else realized the significance female whis has in the following respect: a woman may very well be the most powerful character in the db universe. If not THE strongest, certainly, one of the most powerful.

FutureGohanSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FutureGohanSSJ2 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:48 am

Low Tone G wrote:
FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:Why not? It's an alternate universe. It makes sense that each of the alternative universes would have Gods of Destruction that are all alternate versions of themselves.
Actually, it is NOT an alternate universe, as mentioned by Toriyama too. He says it is a new and neighbor universe with loads of new characters, which will be designed by himself.
If it's a universe that isn't ours, then it's an /alternate/ universe. That just basic multi-verse theory.

godku23
Beyond Newbie

Post by godku23 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:18 am

Well, saying it's an alternate universe implies that it, as far as fiction is concerned, has alternate versions of the same characters.
<(-_-<) (>-_-)> Fu...

^(-_-^) (^-_-)^ sion...

(>-_-)> <(-_-<) HA

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27729&start=15600#p886966

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:20 am

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
Low Tone G wrote:
If it's a universe that isn't ours, then it's an /alternate/ universe. That just basic multi-verse theory.
That's right but, I don't think that we can treat them as the ones from the Dragon Ball Multiverse fanmanga, which are limitless in number and they are basically the same, but have some alternate histories, timelines. The 6th Universe is described to be a new world with entirely new characters, who don't need to be alternate versions of the people from Universe 7.

rolmanus

Post by rolmanus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:43 am

I don't know if this has been here, but here's a scan of episode 2. :) Can't wait for the family trip!

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:50 am

rolmanus wrote:I don't know if this has been here, but here's a scan of episode 2. :) Can't wait for the family trip!
Yes that scan has already been provided and we've been discussing its contents since yesterday.
It was also featured in a news update on this very site.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:08 am

I think a simuldub still can happen. All FUNi have to do is wait for 12+ episodes to air, bring the crew over and dub like they would have to do with the eventual Blu-ray release if they waited for that.

DisapprovingOwl
Not-So-Newbie

Post by DisapprovingOwl » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:21 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think a simuldub still can happen. All FUNi have to do is wait for 12+ episodes to air, bring the crew over and dub like they would have to do with the eventual Blu-ray release if they waited for that.
I'd rather wait, to be honest, for two reasons:
  • On many anime series, I've noticed that studios tend to fix up and retouch the animation a little for DVD/Blu-ray releases. A simuldub would mean FUNimation would likely be supplied with the broadcast footage, meaning any later fixes performed by TOEI wouldn't make their way into the US English release.
  • Being able to look ahead to future events in the series at the time of translation means that FUNimation would have greater likelihood of translating things 100% accurately, in the case of foreshadowing or vague teases in dialogue about future events.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:11 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Also, before whoever it was that was curious asks, they are still using the same thin Super Saiyan God Goku design from Battle of Gods (not that any change was actually expected).
The character designs for SSGSS were much skinnier than they were in the movie, so I still have hope. :) If they keep the same exact design, I'm at least hoping for a scene where Vegeta insists that Goku teach him how to absorb SSG quickly so he doesn't have to stay in that embarrassing looking form any longer.

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:41 am

Screw the dub. Give us a simultaneous sub!