"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DefectiveV

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by DefectiveV » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Volunteer at Anime Expo here, currently waiting for Funi's panel. (Was supposed to start at 3:15pm pacific time, currently 3:40). Will post anything Super related here, if it hasnt already.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:41 pm

DefectiveV wrote:Volunteer at Anime Expo here, currently waiting for Funi's panel. (Was supposed to start at 3:15pm pacific time, currently 3:40). Will post anything Super related here, if it hasnt already.
Many thanks!
ffxiimaniac wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I think that they mentioned Dragon Ball in the panel summary in a good indicator that they've got the simulcast rights.

If they don't get it in time, I'm willing to bet Toei's to blame.
Who else's fault would it be BUT Toei? lol. Funimation would be crazy not to try to get simulcast rights for DBS. The only reason they may not, is if Toei says no. I suppose it could be Funimations fault if they didn't want it, but that is a lot of lost money if they did that.
Oh I don't doubt it'd be Toei's fault (I imagine Funi's been working as hard as possible to get the simulcast rights) I was just trying to word it politely. XD

I could see Toei wanting to hold back and stream it themselves, but I hope that's not the case. >_<
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:42 pm

I really do hope that Super does get the simulcast or simuldub treatment. But I'm not gonna get hopes up. It's better to keep your expectations grounded.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:44 pm

DefectiveV wrote:Volunteer at Anime Expo here, currently waiting for Funi's panel. (Was supposed to start at 3:15pm pacific time, currently 3:40). Will post anything Super related here, if it hasnt already.
thank you! I wish i was there!
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Re: Toei's twitter account

This is it https://twitter.com/toeianime_info it's more of a spot they use to retweet stuff from their other individual show accounts though.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Welp, they announced their two surprise shows. Neither of them were Super. Guess we'll see if anything comes towards the end of the panel.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:00 pm

Well neither of those two remaining question marks of FUNis announcements were Dragon Ball Super...

DefectiveV

Post by DefectiveV » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:00 pm

No simulcast. They Had two secret projects and announced "Chaos Dragon" and "Venus project climax"

DefectiveV

Post by DefectiveV » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:03 pm

3 secret broadcast dubs. Waiting.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:04 pm

They have 3 broadcast dubs to announce...

...but they aren't announcing them here.

GokuRules987
Banned

Post by GokuRules987 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:04 pm

Anyone who understands Japanese is soo lucky to be able to watch dragon ball super without having to read that dialogue. Meanwhile I will have to stare at the subtitles which shit hurts my eyes and gives me epileptic seizures.
I need learn Japanese to be considered a true Dragon Ball fan ;(
My Intelligence level is over 9000!!!

The GREAT D.

Post by The GREAT D. » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I really do hope that Super does get the simulcast or simuldub treatment. But I'm not gonna get hopes up. It's better to keep your expectations grounded.
While I do think a Simuldub would be pretty freaking awesome. Part of me just thinks it would be really hard for them to be able to do that. I know with the simuldubs they've been doing recently they've been mainly keeping it in-house, and only using actors from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. With Super they would probably have to fly in Sean Schemmel, Kyle Hebert, and Laura Bailey from LA every week to play Goku, Gohan, and Trunks. Which would be difficult and a little expensive. Especially with Laura Bailey because she's pretty much becoming the new Tara Strong as far as the amount of big voice-roles she's getting now. They would have to recast these roles just for the simuldub and then have to redub them later for the Blu Ray release, which I don't see happening.

But if they can some how get it to happen I'm not gonna be mad. I really do hope they can at least simulcast the Japanese version with subs.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:07 pm

Can't they have them record where they live and save the recordings on a private cloud for Sabat and company to grab and edit in? Or am I underthinking the difficulty in this?

Seriously getting worried about there being no official simulcast. @_@
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

jcogginsa
Advanced Regular

Post by jcogginsa » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Chuquita wrote:Can't they have them record where they live and save the recordings on a private cloud for Sabat and company to grab and edit in? Or am I underthinking the difficulty in this?

That requires the actors to all have personal recording equipment

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:11 pm

jcogginsa wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Can't they have them record where they live and save the recordings on a private cloud for Sabat and company to grab and edit in? Or am I underthinking the difficulty in this?

That requires the actors to all have personal recording equipment
Ah, that's true. I was thinking more like how TeamFourStar works while all apart, but yeah when I think about it more Funi being an official company means they'd have requirements for their recording equipment that's probably way way more expensive.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Ushabtis
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ushabtis » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:13 pm

The GREAT D. wrote:Especially with Laura Bailey because she's pretty much becoming the new Tara Strong as far as the amount of big voice-roles she's getting now. They would have to recast these roles just for the simuldub and then have to redub them later for the Blu Ray release, which I don't see happening.
recast...ugh I hate it when companies re-cast characters. No matter the reason :cry:

any who, I hope Super gets quick subs. Really looking forward to the episode.
Jaco the Super Elite with The Great Saiyaman fighting crime for a spin-off series. Make it happen Toriyama

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:14 pm

They could probably make it work if a bigger cast member had their own equipment (that was sup to par) or a studio near where they lived (out of state), but I don't think location is the biggest factor. Sonny Strait (I think) went on record to say that you traditionally have to live within 2 hours of the studio to be cast in a broadcast dub because the turnover window is so small and you're basically constantly on call. Even with an available studio, that gets more difficult the more pieces you have spread out over the country, and it's not just Schemmel that doesn't live in Texas anymore.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:17 pm

I got my hopes up for a Super announcement at this FUNi panel but that's just completely died seeing as they've just shown a trailer for Battle of Gods... yeah. :eh:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:19 pm

BlackCatScott wrote:I got my hopes up for a Super announcement at this FUNi panel but that's just completely died seeing as they've just shown a trailer for Battle of Gods... yeah. :eh:
If they're not going to announce anything about it then why's there a Super poster at the expo ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:30 pm

There's a Dragon Ball panel tomorrow, so we may still get something there. This is pretty much a 2 hour long advert, I'd like to hope the focused panel tomorrow is a bit more exciting.

Also, this will be my last post before Super airs! Heading to bed now and leaving for Japan in the morning. I hope everyone enjoys the first episode and I can't wait to read the responses once I'm settled at the hotel. :thumbup:

We're moving into a new era of Dragon Ball. This is so exciting! See you all on the other side.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.