"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:57 pm

Thick plot? Very much yes to that. :mrgreen:

I'm so happy this is a series! Finally we have time/room to breathe and explore in ways the movies weren't able to by nature of their format.

Excited; so excited. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:59 pm

Chuquita wrote:Thick plot? Very much yes to that. :mrgreen:
You think that's the entire plot or just part of it ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:03 pm

I find it funny that folks are cool with Goku saving a tractor and Goten goofyness AND Vegeta being in the park on a ride sillyness. Yet... When GT pulled "goofy adventures" everyone was "this is lame!" Honestly is it because Toriyama wrote this? I kinda hope he gives Vegeta a mustache again. because that would be OK?

I won't be able to see Super but to everyone who will please enjoy it! This is a big moment and I can't believe its happening! Plus new footage of Goku fighting the Z era badies! (Even if its pretend!)
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:06 pm

It's all about the execution of the ideas. Toriyama executes sillyness better than the GT writers (imo) so I have way more confidence in him than them.
Also Vegeta going to a resort with Bulma and Trunks while being mentally wrapped up in wondering about "Kakarrotto" is the sort of thing I'd love to see. X3 Post-Buu-arc Vegeta felt like he was headed in an entertaining direction (and then the manga ended) so getting to actually see it happen is amazing to me.
sintzu wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Thick plot? Very much yes to that. :mrgreen:
You think that's the entire plot or just part of it ?
I think it's probably whatever they have for Super so far; the three arcs we know of combined.
I'm so excited; this is gonna be fun. X3
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:06 pm

GTx10 wrote:I find it funny that folks are cool with Goku saving a tractor and Goten goofyness AND Vegeta being in the park on a ride sillyness. Yet... When GT pulled "goofy adventures" everyone was "this is lame!" Honestly is it because Toriyama wrote this?
What Toriyama is doing is giving characters development and a break between each big arc which are things Gt didn't do and failed when it tried.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:10 pm

GTx10 wrote:Yet... When GT pulled "goofy adventures" everyone was "this is lame!"
Aside from Trunks cross-dressing in that wedding two-parter (which was recycled from Oolong's debut story with inferior writing) the only "goofy adventure" I can think of in GT is Goku playing that dice game with Sugoroku, which I absolutely loved. I mean, I guess it kinda broke up the pacing of the Baby fight, but as a standalone episode/concept, it's one of my favorites.

I'm happy with all of it. Of all my problems with GT, its sense of humor is low on my list of complaints.
Last edited by MagicBox on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:11 pm

GTx10 wrote:I find it funny that folks are cool with Goku saving a tractor and Goten goofyness AND Vegeta being in the park on a ride sillyness. Yet... When GT pulled "goofy adventures" everyone was "this is lame!" Honestly is it because Toriyama wrote this? I kinda hope he gives Vegeta a mustache again. because that would be OK?
You sound mad and salty lol. There has been more charm in those little DB Super pics and synopses than there was in the entirety of DB GT.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:12 pm

But GT lifted plots from Toriyama... Goku cross dressed to battle Oolong, Trunks did it to fight whiskers! (I can't recall the name of that monster) than they both ended ridiculously! Its the same. But I'll leave it at that.
I'm hoping the opening intro has hints toward its plot. Like shadowy King Piccolo in DB, and Vegeta and Nappa in Z!

Edit: I've benn ninja'd while i was typing! Lol
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:16 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Bullza wrote:So tomorrow is the big day huh? I'm excited for it but at the same time I'm equally as worried that they've gone and f*cked it up with this retelling nonsense.

It'll likely cut my enjoyment in half if that's what they've done.
It's a little under 7 hours from now.
Is that all? How long after until it's subbed do you think?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:17 pm

Bullza wrote:Is that all? How long after until it's subbed do you think?
It'll probably take a few hours.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Exactly six hours from now the episode will be ending.

It airs during FUNimation's "Resurrection 'F'" panel, which kinda makes a simulcast announcement unlikely.
GTx10 wrote:But GT lifted plots from Toriyama... Goku cross dressed to battle Oolong, Trunks did it to fight whiskers! (I can't recall the name of that monster) than they both ended ridiculously! Its the same.
Which is exactly why people dislike that episode. ^_^; It's the exact same concept. The exact same punchline. But without the Goku/Bulma/Oolong dynamic.

I still think the Sugoroku stuff was a funny plot done right. Jokes we haven't seen before, told in an entertaining way.

SMKirbyZX
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SMKirbyZX » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:24 pm

Just realized that Super aired in Japan today. If anyone finds an English fansub later on, do you think you could link it to everyone? I can't wait for Funimation to simiulcast it. (I hope I spelled that right.)

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:26 pm

I've watched episode one of GT just to have it fresh on my mind when I watch Super. I wanna see how well Super compares to GT, hopefully it's a lot better :D

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:26 pm

SMKirbyZX wrote:Just realized that Super aired in Japan today. If anyone finds an English fansub later on, do you think you could link it to everyone?
It doesn't air for another ~5 hours, and no, that's illegal and won't be happening here. You want it, you're on your own to find it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:26 pm

Hujio reminded everyone two pages ago that fansubs will not be posted here.

You're on your own unless FUNi announces it.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:29 pm

Son Goku is the same as he was back than, Pan is the Bulma type and Trunks is the straight man. Considering the time period these three would have a slightly better dynamic and knowledge of each other. Originally Bulma just knew Goku as a weird monkey tailed boy from the mountains that was it! (Yes the DB story is good, but I'm also pointing this GT dynamic out)

At this point in the story, Son Kun wouldn't be waiting for Resurrected Boo right. He found out later within the 10 year gap or what? Guess I could see Goku thinking of Fighting Resurrected Boo which leads into him day dreaming within Super's episode.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:30 pm

Doctor. wrote:I've watched episode one of GT just to have it fresh on my mind when I watch Super. I wanna see how well Super compares to GT, hopefully it's a lot better :D
Really isn't going to take much to top GT.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:31 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Doctor. wrote:I've watched episode one of GT just to have it fresh on my mind when I watch Super. I wanna see how well Super compares to GT, hopefully it's a lot better :D
Really isn't going to take much to top GT.
Well, GT as a whole no, it won't. But episode 1 of GT really wasn't that bad, it was average but not straight-up bad like the rest of the series. If Super episode 1 is good, then at least I'll be happy.
Last edited by Doctor. on Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blocky

Post by Blocky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:32 pm

Already aired? or not?

But ether way, I'm hype for the first episode!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:33 pm

MagicBox wrote:I still think the Sugoroku stuff was a funny plot done right. Jokes we haven't seen before, told in an entertaining way.
I liked that a lot too. I don't see people claiming silliness was GT's big problem. If anything, GT wasted the potential of good character chemistry dividing the cast right off the bat.
Seeing nerfed kid Goku (and his questionable characterization), pre-teen Pan as an entirely new character compared to EoZ plus Trunks going on adventures by themselves is far from being the same as what Super appears to be doing to kick off.
Doctor. wrote:Well, GT as a whole no, it won't. But episode of GT really wasn't that bad, it was average but not straight-up bad like the rest of the series. If Super episode 1 is good, then at least I'll be happy.
Yeah, i like the first two episodes of GT.