"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by mogi67 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:47 am

FutureGohanSSJ2 wrote:
UpFromTheSkies wrote:
ArcaneSuperSaiyan wrote:Regarding SSJGSSJ(which I will refer to as GPSSJ "God Power Super Saiyan" because I think it's a more suiting name), I don't think it's going to replace SSJG altogether.

The way I've pretty much always interpreted it, is that GPSSJ is weaker than SSJG and is a stepping stone for Goku and Vegeta as they continue to go toward reaching SSJG on their own..
No, Goku absorbed SSG and has SSG power available to him in his base form. He's basically always a God now, and when you combine that with SS, you get SSGSS.

This is from an interview with Toriyama
Will Goku be able to transform into [Super Saiyan] God in the future?
I think you’ll understand if you watch [the movie], but Goku has already absorbed [Super Saiyan] God’s power and made it his own, so there is no need for him to transform into [Super Saiyan] God. Goku basically only thinks of fighting as a sporting match, so borrowing the power of five people isn’t fair, and he resisted doing that; however, it seems his curiosity towards the realm that lay even further beyond him won out.
But it begs the question about the /entire/ ending scene in Battle of Gods... Why was Super Saiyan regular blonde and not blue? Why was it even possible for him to go back into God?
I suspect Super will shed more light on this

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:52 am

By setting it before Videl is pregnant, Super's gotta do its own thing with ssjg. Be it dropping the number of required saiyajin down by one, by roping in Tarble somehow to act as the 6th conduit, or by going deeper and completely changing how ssjg's obtained. The way Super's setting things up nothing's off the table until proven/disproven.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:17 pm

That would be an interesting place to put Tarble. They could either straight up do the Jump Special and have Abo and Cado there to foreshadow the Freeza arc, or they could have Tarble be on the run from Beerus or something like that.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:10 pm

Chuquita wrote:By setting it before Videl is pregnant, Super's gotta do its own thing with ssjg. Be it dropping the number of required saiyajin down by one, by roping in Tarble somehow to act as the 6th conduit, or by going deeper and completely changing how ssjg's obtained. The way Super's setting things up nothing's off the table until proven/disproven.
They could have chosen not to retcon BoG and Fukkatsu no F and instead start the series either at this point and then do a time-skip to BoG and then another one to Fukkatsu no F (and showing the stuff we know would have happened in between), or start the series right after Fukkatsu no F, with the immediate introduction of the 6th Universe arc, which is truly the absolutely new material to which we've never been exposed at any level before anywhere and about which we know basically nothing at this point beyond the fact that there will be new versions of Dragon Balls involved.

Having Beerus awake 6 months after the defeat of Kid Buu instead of 4 years later is the catalyst for the absolute need to remove the events of BoG from the main storyline as a direct canon continuation of Z, for more than one obvious reason. Pan hasn't even been thought of at this point, let alone conceived. Both BoG and Fukkatsu no F will from now on need to be looked at as "non-canon" side-stories, pretty much the same way the other 13 movies and GT need to be looked at.

The same goes for the 2008 Jump special, it will basically be "erased" from the main timeline, which means they'll only choose to bring back Tarble if they want to, but, unlike Beerus or Whis, I believe they fail to see in Tarble the potential to become an interesting character, although, in fact, he doesn't in fact lack that much; Toriyama may have thought that the sudden introduction of Vegeta's brother, who nobody ever heard of, mentioned once or even knew existed throughout the entire Saiya-jin, Freeza, Jinzouningen, Cell and Majin Buu arcs was done too hastily. On top of all of these reasons, there are many mentions and flashbacks during all the arcs throughout DBZ of the events regarding the Saiya-jin race before, during and after its genocide, and we're always told there were only 4 surviving Saiya-jin (Vegeta, Kakarotto, Nappa and Raditz). Why would Raditz, for example, choose to ignore Tarble as a surviving Saiya-jin, or why would Vegeta never even mention he had a living brother? Because of shame due to his inability to be a strong fighter?

Anyway, since they recognized the potential of Beerus and Whis as characters and the concept of Super Saiya-jin God and/or Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin as new stages for Goku and Vegeta to be able to catch up with these new insanely powerful fighters, I'm quite hyped to see exactly how much the settings and circumstances have changed in terms of how these events will now take place.
Regarding the way to achieve SSJG, I highly doubt for some reason that one of the things they'll maintain when compared to BoG is or will be the ritual to achieve the Super Saiya-jin God stage, even if it would be a version of the ritual with a smaller number of Saiya-jin needed. The ritual we saw in BoG had two main reasons to be introduced: one, to make a link to the last 3 episodes of DBZ and bring Pan into the picture, and two, to put the Saiya-jin race in a different light when compared to the descriptions of a battle-thirsty, fighting race with violent evil tendencies we were given in the Saiya-jin and Freeza arcs, namely with the introduction of the concept of "pure-hearted" or "good-hearted" Saiya-jin Planet Vegeta.

The constant references to Freeza, the Saiya-jin race, Planet Vegeta, etc. throughout the series is proof enough that the background of the entire Saiya-jin-Freeza relationship and the events leading up to the genocide of the Saiya-jin and the aftermath is probably the best storyline in Z. Besides, the Freeza arc (with the Saiya-jin and Namek sagas leading up to it) was so absolutely epic and Freeza was - and is - such a charismatic villain that even in the last new material in recent years - the 2008 special (Freeza and even the Ginyu Tokusentai are mentioned, Abo and Kado are former elite members of Freeza's army), Episode of Bardock (needless to even expand on this one, the main villain is both Freeza himself in the beginning and an ancestor of the Freeza family throughout the movie), Battle of Gods (the defeat of Freeza and the destruction of Planet Vegeta are mentioned several times right at the start of the movie, and even King Vegeta is shown) and Fukkatsu no F (the entire movie is dedicated to the revival of Freeza himself, that's how charismatic he is, he needed an entire movie even partially named after him) - there are not only constant references to Freeza and his army but, in fact, reappearances of Freeza himself. It probably goes to show that the Freeza arc was probably the most DBZ-defining and memorable saga in DB and DBZ not only for a large chunk of hardcore DBZ fans but also to many of the authors involved in the creation of new animated material for DBZ in these last years. You don't really see 5% as much in terms of references to the Jinzouningen/Cell arc as you do regarding the Saiya-jin/Namek/Freeza arc and its background, the genocide of the Saiya-jin, either in the Majin Buu arc or in the post-Majin Buu new material we've been given in the last years with the 2008 special, Episode of Bardock, BoG and Fukkatsu no F.

Makai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Makai » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:25 pm

Can they not just place the Jump Special a few months before Super? It already seems like it could easily fit between Buu and Super.
Last edited by Makai on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Makai wrote:Can they not just place the Jump Special a few months before Super? It already seems like it could easily fit before Buu and Super.
I don't know I think they would have mentioned it if so.

nekobi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by nekobi » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:49 pm

(Apologies if this has already been asked, but I've been following the thread pretty close and didn't see anything more posted.)

So was there ever any other images or info about the supposed Dragon Ball Super booth at Anime-Expo? All I've seen is that one image and it sure seems odd they would even advertise it when no one has announced any sort of simulcast or other release at all. Was it a fake? Or was it a press-only backstage booth type thing? *wonders*

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:43 pm

nekobi wrote:(Apologies if this has already been asked, but I've been following the thread pretty close and didn't see anything more posted.)

So was there ever any other images or info about the supposed Dragon Ball Super booth at Anime-Expo? All I've seen is that one image and it sure seems odd they would even advertise it when no one has announced any sort of simulcast or other release at all. Was it a fake? Or was it a press-only backstage booth type thing? *wonders*
Now that's a good question. I believe it wasn't fake, but what was that about?
MaGyunia wrote:Regarding the way to achieve SSJG, I highly doubt for some reason that one of the things they'll maintain when compared to BoG is or will be the ritual to achieve the Super Saiya-jin God stage, even if it would be a version of the ritual with a smaller number of Saiya-jin needed. The ritual we saw in BoG had two main reasons to be introduced: one, to make a link to the last 3 episodes of DBZ and bring Pan into the picture, and two, to put the Saiya-jin race in a different light when compared to the descriptions of a battle-thirsty, fighting race with violent evil tendencies we were given in the Saiya-jin and Freeza arcs, namely with the introduction of the concept of "pure-hearted" or "good-hearted" Saiya-jin Planet Vegeta.
I think they're gonna change it, too. Another possible reason for the ritual was that, being a movie, they had to work with something quick, that could be reasonably solved within the time restraints of a movie. Probably the same reason why FnF played like Goku and Vegeta had mastered their God ki already, instead of going through the process during the movie.
The series should take the opportunity of its length to give the whole God concept more significance, i think. Making the ritual again, but using less people, would be the opposite, they would be cheapening it.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:58 pm

I'm really curious about how they'd do it if they do choose to rewrite how you get ssjg. I'm excited for it. (☆▽☆)
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:04 pm

Man, yeah, if they did extend it and make it a bigger deal...like they have to go on a little quest or something...
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:07 pm

Captain Space wrote:Man, yeah, if they did extend it and make it a bigger deal...like they have to go on a little quest or something...
Gokû and Vegeta on a quest.

YES. (☆▽☆) So much yes.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Makai wrote:Can they not just place the Jump Special a few months before Super? It already seems like it could easily fit between Buu and Super.
Super starts 6 months after Buu, it's stated multiple times in the Jump Special that it's been 2 years.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Damn, I'm loving the cast comments!!

"Also, while this doesn’t really have anything to do with the recording sessions, the recording studio’s location has changed, so now I’m also doing my best to find a new bar for everyone to go after the recordings" - Horikawa

"Our teamwork is really good, and each recording session is fun. We went out to eat after the first session wrapped up, and Mako-san (Masako Nozawa) said “Forget one or five years, I want this to go on for ten years” like it would never end. Honestly, I’d be happy for it to continue like that." - Furukawa

I kinda envy them. Even though they are old, they have so many Ki.
God Bless them!
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Makai wrote:Can they not just place the Jump Special a few months before Super? It already seems like it could easily fit between Buu and Super.
They could theoretically retell the story of Tarble, Abo and Kado and reintroduce them in the series in a different setting and circumstances when compared to what we saw in the special itself, like they'll do with BoG and Fukkatsu no F, and if they chose to do so it would indeed need to be at a different time, since the 2008 movie "happened" 2 years after the defeat of Kid Buu. However, I doubt they see in Tarble, Abo or Kado the potential to make for an interesting adding to the series' timeline (in Tarble's case, for the reasons I mentioned before). They didn't really put too much effort as far as story-telling and character background goes in the 2008 movie, it was made for entirely different reasons, but the greatest purpose it served was to reopen the curtain for completely new Dragonball visual material after 11 years of inactivity. Up until recently and before we got to know the timing at which each arc within DBSuper is going to take place, the 2008 special was also considered to be canon and a direct continuation of the Majin Buu arc in Z, but now, just like BoG and Fukkatsu no F, it will be "erased" as non-canon material and will need to be seen as a side-story just like the 13 movies of Z or GT.

The sheer fact that they chose Beerus to be awake 6 months after the defeat of Kid Buu instead of 4 years later pretty much changes everything surrounding the events of the 2008 special, BoG and Fukkatsu no F. As I said before, they could have chosen not to place Beerus' awakening at this timing and just keep the story's timeline the way it was after BoG and Fukkatsu no F, with the following sequence of events: Majin Buu arc - 2 years - 2008 special - 2 years - Battle of Gods - a few months - Fukkatsu no F - 5 years - introduction of Uub; but instead in DBSuper we'll most likely get: Majin Buu arc - 6 months - first episodes of DBSuper - Beerus/Whis/Champa/Champa's attendant arc - Fukkatsu no F arc - exploration of the 6th Universe arc - 5 years - introduction of Uub. I'm just speculating regarding the timeline placement of the exploration of the 6th Universe, it could theoretically even be placed at a later stage, closer to the introduction of Uub, or even - theoretically - after the last episodes of DBZ, but I believe every event and arc within DBSuper at least up until after the exploration of the 6th Universe will take place many years before the introduction of Uub in those last 3 episodes of DBZ.

I highly doubt they'll pick up on any of the events and characters introduced in the 2008 special, unlike BoG and Fukkatsu no F, which were given careful thought and are basically going to be retold at a different time and setting and be given their own arcs within DBSuper to do so. Characters like Beerus and Whis and the concept of Super Saiya-jin God and Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin are just too phenomenal and have too much potential to just be tossed away.
Last edited by MaGyunia on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:39 pm

Are the 2 dudes in Freeza's army outfits in the OP from ROF movie or brand new?

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Basaku wrote:Are the 2 dudes in Freeza's army outfits in the OP from ROF movie or brand new?
They're random fodder from Freeza's army.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:43 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Basaku wrote:Are the 2 dudes in Freeza's army outfits in the OP from ROF movie or brand new?
They're random fodder from Freeza's army.
Was wondring if their particular designs were actually in ROF, though I guess on a second thought it would be rather hard to recall even for people who saw the movie

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:45 pm

MaGyunia wrote:
They could theoretically retell the story of Tarble, Abo and Kado and reintroduce them in the series in a different setting and circumstances when compared to what we saw in the special itself, like they'll do with BoG and Fukkatsu no F, and if they chose to do so it would indeed need to be at a different time, since the 2008 movie "happened" 2 years after the defeat of Kid Buu. However, I doubt they see in Tarble, Abo or Kado the potential to make for an interesting adding to the series' timeline (in Tarble's case, for the reasons I mentioned before). They didn't really put too much effort as far as story-telling and character background goes in the 2008 movie, it was made for entirely different reasons, but the greatest purpose it served was to reopen the curtain for completely new Dragonball visual material after 11 years of inactivity. Up until recently and before we got to know the timing at which each arc within DBSuper is going to take place, the 2008 special was also considered to be canon and a direct continuation of the Majin Buu arc in Z, but now, just like BoG and Fukkatsu no F, it will be "erased" as non-canon material and will need to be seen as a side-story just like the 13 movies of Z or GT.

The sheer fact that they chose Beerus to be awake 6 months after the defeat of Kid Buu instead of 4 years later pretty much changes everything surrounding the events of the 2008 special, BoG and Fukkatsu no F. As I said before, they could have chosen not to place Beerus' awakening at this timing and just keep the story's timeline the way it was after BoG and Fukkatsu no F, with the following sequence of events: Majin Buu arc - 2 years - 2008 special - 2 years - Battle of Gods - a few months - Fukkatsu no F - 5 years - introduction of Uub; but instead in DBSuper we'll most likely get: Majin Buu arc - 6 months - first episodes of DBSuper - Beerus/Whis/Champa/Champa's attendant arc - Fukkatsu no F arc - exploration of the 6th Universe arc - 5 years - introduction of Uub. I'm just speculating regarding the timeline placement of the exploration of the 6th Universe, it could theoretically even be placed at a later stage, closer to the introduction of Uub, or even - theoretically - after the last episodes of DBZ, but I believe every event and arc within DBSuper at least up until after the exploration of the 6th Universe will take place many years before the introduction of Uub in those last 3 episodes of DBZ.

I highly doubt they'll pick up on any of the events and characters introduced in the 2008 special, unlike BoG and Fukkatsu no F, which were given careful thought and are basically going to be retold at a different time and setting and be given their own arcs within DBSuper to do so. Characters like Beerus and Whis and the concept of Super Saiya-jin God and Super Saiya-jin God Super Saiya-jin are just too phenomenal and have too much potential to just be tossed away.
Last edited by MaGyunia on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:46 pm

I mean, there were a lot of soldiers in that movie, so unless it was one of the few featured (which they aren't), yeah, not easy to remember.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:22 pm

In the op we see Goku&Vegeta fighting in their old outfits who look to be 2 of Freeza's solders,could this be because Freeza's arc takes place before they get their new outfits and train with Whis ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.