Dragon Ball Super: TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by irreality » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:33 am

Bullza wrote:Saint Seiya? I never really got a sense of that being all that popular. The others sure, you hear about them often but I'd never heard of Saint Seiya before I got into anime and rarely ever see anyone talk about it now.
Saint Seiya is huge in Latin America, especially among people that were too old by the time DB was released there. Some of my older cousins are far more familiar with "Caballeros del Zodiaco" than they are with Dragon Ball. Obviously everyone knows what Dragon Ball is, but before that everyone knew what Saint Seiya was, too, back then.

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1994
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:51 am

In Latin America Saint Seiya is (nearly)as popular as Dragon Ball is, to the point where DragonBall vs Saint Seiya is more prevalent(and hotly debated)than Goku vs Superman is.
Lore is NOT story, and it never was, and you should stop spreading this nonsense.
Content is NOT substance.
Bunch of characters doing stuff do NOT make an esemble cast.
Secondary characters are secondary, they do NOT deserve or are entitled to having more screen time.
Fandom Lacks Critical Thinking and is Easily Impressionable with Surface Level Content.

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:56 am

I wonder why it never took off in US or UK then. It doesn't even seem all that popular in Japan. What about the rest of Europe?

I tried watching it several years ago but it didn't seem very good.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by sintzu » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm

Bullza wrote:I wonder why it never took off in US or UK then.
I think it could if it got a re-release with a new better dub.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 14026
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:50 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:42 pm

Araki wrote: We can't really compare it to Kai's first episode in 2009, tv ratings were still much higher back then
Are things really any different then it was in 2009? 2009 was six years ago and I don't see any big gap in the last six years. If it was 1996 vs. 2005 then I can see a big gap, but I don't see anything different now.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by irreality » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:13 pm

6 years is a long time. A lot more content watching happens online vs on tv. Can't people also stream on Fuji TV these days, too?

(sorry, couldn't find the first week of release, but close enough)
17.7% 04/26 18:30-19:00 CX* Sazae-san
12.6% 04/26 18:00-18:30 CX* Chibi Maruko-chan
11.7% 04/26 *9:30-10:00 CX* One Piece
11.1% 04/26 *9:00-*9:30 CX* Dragonball Kai
*9.1% 04/25 18:00-18:30 NTV Great Detective Conan
*7.0% 04/26 *8:30-*9:00 EX* Fresh Precure!
*6.4% 04/25 11:20-11:50 EX* Atashi no'chi
*6.2% 04/23 19:00-19:30 TX* Pokemon DP
*5.2% 04/25 10:00-10:30 TX* Sergeant Frog
*5.1% 04/22 19:26-19:55 TX* Inazuma Eleven

Numbers Hujio posted in other thread:
Sazae-san (14.7%)
One Piece (9.9%)
Chibi Maruko-chan (9.1%)
Dragon Ball Super (7.9%)
Yo-Kai Watch (4.6%)
Go! Princess PreCure (4.3%)
Shaun the Sheep (4.0%)
Curious George (3.5%)
Pocket Monsters XY (3.4%)
Soreike! Anpanman (3.0%)

The standings are pretty similar. There is a drop in ratings across the board. Less for One Piece and Sazae-san, but more for other shows.

User avatar
bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 892
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by bleed0range » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Have ratings been posted yet for Episode 2? I can't find them anywhere.

User avatar
Basaku
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Planet of the Apes

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Basaku » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:41 pm

Bullza wrote:Saint Seiya? I never really got a sense of that being all that popular. The others sure, you hear about them often but I'd never heard of Saint Seiya before I got into anime and rarely ever see anyone talk about it now.

It didn't even get fully dubbed in English did it?

From what I've seen and heard both on and offline, Dragon Ball Z and Pokémon are in a league of their of their own, possibly household names.

Then below that you'd have Naruto, Digimon, Sailor Moon and Yu Gi Oh.
Nope, Sailor Moon is part of the big 3 (or Big 2 since some don't really see Pokemon as much of a manga/anime brand rather than cartoon commercial for toys & video games), hugely influental and embeded in global mainstream popculture

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Bullza » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:36 pm

Pokémon has died off considerably however no anime has been nearly as popular as what that was in it's peak nor will it happen again. In UK Pokémon is easily the biggest an anime has ever been, in fact most wouldn't have a clue what Sailor Moon was.

You don't have to be an anime fan or even to have watched the show to be familiar with some of the Pokémon characters and the theme song.

Sailor Moon though? The only thing I hear about that is now and then IGN does a review of an episode of Sailor Moon Crystal.

This speaks for itself.

http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore# ... tc%2FGMT-1

There's no way it's on their level overall on a worldwide scale.

User avatar
mcdonough88
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue May 20, 2014 7:49 pm
Location: Tijuana, BC, Mexico.

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by mcdonough88 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:29 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:In Latin America Saint Seiya is (nearly)as popular as Dragon Ball is, to the point where DragonBall vs Saint Seiya is more prevalent(and hotly debated)than Goku vs Superman is.
Yup, happens in Mexico ALL THE TIME. People trying to argue that SS is better than DB :/

User avatar
ShinGaijin
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 297
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:59 am
Location: France/Japan/Hong Kong
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by ShinGaijin » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:42 pm

bleed0range wrote:Have ratings been posted yet for Episode 2? I can't find them anywhere.
Here's for ya : http://wall0.com/news4vip/1436923142/

Yeah...only 5.6% this time. :think:

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Chuquita » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:45 pm

ShinGaijin wrote:
bleed0range wrote:Have ratings been posted yet for Episode 2? I can't find them anywhere.
Here's for ya : http://wall0.com/news4vip/1436923142/

Yeah...only 5.6% this time. :think:
Aw, nobody wanted to watch Vegeta shenanigans? :cry:

*Wonders what the percentage of VegeBul fans in Japan is; surely they'd have wanted to tune in for this one.*

Well, as long as we make it to the end of the Uni 6 arc. >_>
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10591
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:19 pm
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:54 pm

Chuquita wrote:
ShinGaijin wrote:
bleed0range wrote:Have ratings been posted yet for Episode 2? I can't find them anywhere.
Here's for ya : http://wall0.com/news4vip/1436923142/

Yeah...only 5.6% this time. :think:
Aw, nobody wanted to watch Vegeta shenanigans? :cry:

*Wonders what the percentage of VegeBul fans in Japan is; surely they'd have wanted to tune in for this one.*

Well, as long as we make it to the end of the Uni 6 arc. >_>
Maybe the Japanese people don't wanna see a retelling of movies that came out a few months ago and 3 years ago. Maybe they want more action not slice of life.

BTW I loving Super.
I DO NOT HAVE A TWITTER
Son Goten

User avatar
Basaku
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1775
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:00 pm
Location: Planet of the Apes

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Basaku » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:05 am

Bullza wrote:You don't have to be an anime fan or even to have watched the show to be familiar with some of the Pokémon characters and the theme song.
Kind of the point. Unlike DB or Sailor Moon, Pokemon never had much impact on promoting the form of art of anime or manga. It's viewed as mostly its own thing and it is. It was a commercial for video game series that just happened to be made in Japan thus falling under 'anime' umbrella, different creative origin than DB or Sailor Moon
Bullza wrote:Sailor Moon though? The only thing I hear about that is now and then IGN does a review of an episode of Sailor Moon Crystal.

This speaks for itself.

http://www.google.co.uk/trends/explore# ... tc%2FGMT-1

There's no way it's on their level overall on a worldwide scale.
'Cause Google Trends solves everything. Miley Cyrus is way higher than most other music/pop acts yet it doesn't really say much. Sailor Moon is internationally recognized, parodied, referenced and influental. Maybe no as widely today but is sure made a bigger stamp on the global pop culture along with Dragon Ball then any other anime/manga that came from Japan

User avatar
irreality
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 931
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by irreality » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:15 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
Maybe the Japanese people don't wanna see a retelling of movies that came out a few months ago and 3 years ago. Maybe they want more action not slice of life.

BTW I loving Super.
Well, One piece was also lower this week. drop from 9.9 to 7.0. As is Detective Conan. Still sad the ratings dropped, but I wonder if something was going on? Hope it picks with in the next few episodes.

User avatar
Retan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1350
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:21 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Retan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:42 am

I have to agree with GMGoken, it's a joke that they thought they could redo movies that are less then 4 years old, as a series and everyone would be happy about it. And well I'm enjoying super, it needs to get past these movie stories fast, and on to universe 6.

User avatar
Retan
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1350
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:21 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Retan » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:52 am

SO I was on my tablet and had it translate a few of the comments from the japanese people and they think the show has been pretty awful so far it seems like (From the few translated half way decently anyway :lol: ) and they want to get to the fights (Or maybe they were just talking about how awful beeruses fight was. But who knows it was just a few random people on the site ShinGaijin posted above.

User avatar
Araki
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1453
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:54 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Araki » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:18 am

irreality wrote:Well, One piece was also lower this week. drop from 9.9 to 7.0. As is Detective Conan. Still sad the ratings dropped, but I wonder if something was going on? Hope it picks with in the next few episodes.
Yeah, it was just a really slow weekend. 5.7 for Detective Conan, for instance, i don't think i ever seen Conan that low. But it happens.

DB Super was #7, if we consider it was #5 last week but Conan and Doraemon didn't air, it's normal. Super will probably come and go between #5 and #7, the gap to the shows below them is big.
Last edited by Araki on Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Chuquita
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15035
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:16 am
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:22 am

Well if One Piece and Conan were low too...was last weekend a big shore/beach weekend in Japan? Was the weather really nice?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

User avatar
Araki
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1453
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:54 am

Re: Dragon Ball Super TV Ratings Discussion Thread

Post by Araki » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:24 am

Chuquita wrote:Well if One Piece and Conan were low too...was last weekend a big shore/beach weekend in Japan? Was the weather really nice?
Some people in that board were talking about the weather, so it could be that.

Post Reply