Post your Resurrection F Theatre Experience

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bullza
Banned

Re: Post your Resurrection F Theatre Experience

Post by Bullza » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:44 am

What kind of age range were you people getting in the audience? I'd guess there were more people over 20 than under yeah? Was there a significant over 40's crowd?

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:53 am

Bullza wrote:What kind of age range were you people getting in the audience? I'd guess there were more people over 20 than under yeah? Was there a significant over 40's crowd?
I'd say
- 1/5= kids.
- 3/5= 20s-mid 40s.
- 1/5= 50s+.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:42 pm

I saw a few kids that went to the ROF screening at my movie theater. You do have a few parents who grew up with the series that have kids of their own.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:24 pm

Just got back from the movies and the theatre experience was great. People laughted when they were suppose to laugh and no morons were screaming out TFS jokes. Overall it was a great experience. The movie was pretty good as well.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:01 pm

I don't feel like writing up a whole big thing on my experience this time around, so I'm just going to hit some main points.

--I figured with it being the weekend, and the main crowd around here in my little neck of the woods likely to have seen the film sometime throughout the week, that the theater would be less crowded like it was with Battle of Gods. I was wrong. Theater was almost packed.

--I got there a little early, but the line for tickets was wrapped around the side of the building. People really underutilize the self service kiosks. I was inside purchasing my ticket and on my way to the screen it was showing on before anyone in the line came in behind me. Though I guess I should be happy that barely anyone uses them, because it made my life extremely easy.

--Unlike with Battle of Gods, they had the screen configured properly. The film was actually in focus, audio was crisp. Much better experience than last time.

--There were some immature idiots acting like jackasses in the theater up through the trivia and interview featurette, but it almost completely settled down once the movie started. Other than some random, lone clapping at certain points, It was rather enjoyable with people laughing at jokes and all that. Fairly smooth sailing...up until Goku was defeated. Once Sorbet cheap shotted Goku, a group of little kids at the front started throwing a tantrum about how it wasn't fair that Goku was defeated and that Freeza cheated. This continued until Vegeta stepped in,which silenced them...until Freeza blew up the Earth, and they started all over again. Now, I can't actually be angry, because I remember being that young and reactions to cartoons and stuff this way, but it was still annoying...

--Despite not being a dub fan, I did enjoy the dub again. Most of the lines were well adapted, though those that were altered to give the movie the "Funimation flare" certainly got an internal groan.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:05 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Just got back from the movies and the theatre experience was great. People laughted when they were suppose to laugh and no morons were screaming out TFS jokes. Overall it was a great experience. The movie was pretty good as well.
This.

I was also surprised by how diverse the viewers were aND how pcaked the theater was. The legacy still lives on.

Hope FUNimation gets bigger.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:21 pm

Jaco stole the show. All his scenes got laugher from the audience. Nobody got up and cheered likelike the audience did for BoG thou. The voice actors don't know that Gregory is a cricket... Sad... This movie needed some Z era Funimation lines. I like when the characters talk when their backs are turned.
The Blue hair looked more Cyan/greenish. N that's it.
Solid film that desperately needs a Extended cut.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:26 pm

A decent experience this time. I'm shocked the crowd was sold out though. Never thought Dragon Ball brought so much attention these days. The audience was pretty typical for me. They basically just kept quiet and laughed during the funny stuff. Nothing really stood out. Of course the quiz was super easy and probably the funniest part of the whole show. Kinda saddened this year didn't bring in much of a response. I made my own remarks, but it was a pretty typical movie goer experience.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:30 pm

Saw it In a Cinemark XD theater on balcony seats. No kids, all fans though! Everyone laughed at the right time and there weren't any disruptions. I think Jaco got the most laughs and the best reception overall. Roshi and Krillin also got some great "YEAHS!!" from the crowd.

Everyone stayed for the bonus ending so it seems like people are still craving more Dragon Ball. :D

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:56 pm

A note on the changed lines...

My theatrical experience was my first time seeing the movie. I haven't seen it in Japanese yet, so I don't know what lines were changed or not. There were a few that I suspected, but I've been wrong before.

One particular example that comes to mind is one that I'll never forget. In the episode where Kid Trunks goes Super Saiyan for the first time in front of Vegeta, Vegeta asks Trunks if Goten can do the same. Trunks says yes, and then Vegeta--in the dub--angrily replies, "Yes, naturally, it's a Super Saiyan bargain sale!" I groaned and thought for certain that FUNimation had done some "punch-up" writing...

....But nope. Turns out, not only is that line accurate, but the term "accurately translated" doesn't even apply...rather, "accurately placed" is more appropriate. Ryo Horikawa's Vegeta says that very phrase, in English, in the Japanese version.

I love to put the subtitles for the original Japanese version on when I'm watching the dub, but it's a habit that perhaps I should break, because I've found that my favorite viewings are viewings, like this movie theater experience, where I don't have that option, and can just analyze the moments for what they are. Whereas FUNimation's "punch-up" writing used to both unfunny and unnecessary...now they're funny, but still unnecessary. I suspect Pilaf's line about rich people having jerk kids who "grow up to own nightclubs" was probably a changed line, but it was funny. Even then, as I demonstrated earlier, sometimes I've been surprised to learn that lines were not changed.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Time for my review.

Unlike Battle of Gods, which for me had a minimal turnout and a boring audience, Fukkatsu no F was the exact opposite.

This is the theater -

Image\

The line went from the ticket booths inside to the complete end of the move posters on the side of the building. Well over 20 + people sporting DBZ clothing of some sort ranging from adults in their 30's to kids no older than 10 and thats not including the people who were already in the their seats. It was a huge turnout. My biggest surprise is when halfway through the film I turned while stretching and noticing a line of 15 or so people standing along the wall. Literally every seat in the room was packed to the point where people had to stand to watch the movie. An absolutely amazing turnout from fans of all ages.

As for the movie itself, I had already seen it in Japanese so this was mostly just to see how the dub held up and it was as good as I have come to expect. The audience was also generally fun to watch with. Nobody was annoyingly loud or obnoxious, nobody was making a scene. There were a few disappointing cries with scenes involving Gohan and when Goku killed Freeza but otherwise this crowd was constantly smiling, oohing and ahhing, and cheering, giving the film a standing ovation when the credits finished.

My personal highlight was when Goku got shot in the chest by Sorbet. Seeing how the audience was already cracking up at a few jokes some viewers made I took it upon myself. When there was a silent moment I cupped my hands near my mouth and shouted "SHOT THROUGH THE HEART, AND YOU'RE TOO LATE!"

Everyone just cracked up. It went on for a good three or four minutes after the scene.

In summary, everything was more or less perfect from the crowd to the dub to the overall experience. If I had to point out a gripe is that the video for my showing was awkwardly zoomed in. To put into perspective, during the pre-show trivia game, options C and D were not visible on the screen so it had a pretty bad zoom going on. Thankfully the audio was spot on. Some sound effects you could physically feel in the room.

This viewing put my BOG experience to shame and I'm happy to see so many people have so much fun at the movies. I couldnt possibly have any more fun than I did. Even some people were dropping the "Bluper Saiyan" term.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:43 pm

I had soo much fun! The theater was full, everyone cheered at the right moments (especially for Vegeta! yay!), and the movie looked a lot better in a big screen that I thought it would. The funny moments were even funnier than I remembered, and in general everything was adorable. I'm so glad I went -- I did not mind the dubbing at all they did a great job.

ETA: The audience groaned at Krillin telling #18 to stay home. Everyone wanted her to come along! :) Points for the audience.

Also, I cosplayed as Bulma since I love that sort of stuff: http://maikisan.tumblr.com/post/1262173 ... ing-it-was

Last edited by irreality on Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:35 pm

Though I would've liked to go opening day like I did for Battle of Gods, for Resurrection F due to people's schedules (we had 7 in our group) we ended up going Friday. Most of the big theaters were only showing it Tuesday and Wednesday, so we had to venture across the river to a small independent theater in Vancouver, which, on a weeknight during rush hour, was a terrible drive. But we made it to the theater about 20 minutes before the screening, and had already pre-purchased our tickets anyway. By the time we arrived, they still had not even begun seating yet, so we joined the line of people in the lobby. I was wearing a Capsule Corporation dress, but I didn't notice anyone else with Dragon Ball clothing (some had Attack On Titan patches, and I saw a car parked near the theater that had Capsule Corp., Soul Eater, Ghost in the Shell, and Triforce stickers on it).

After everyone got seated, the theater was still less than half full. During the pre-show, the audio was fairly quiet, and a lot of people were talking over it. Though when they got to the trivia, people seemed more into it. Several times, I was yelling "oh, come on!" at the voice actors as they continually got wrong answers. And I'm not even sure if that answer of Freeza conquering 79 planets is correct. I mean, it's the highest numbered planet that was specifically mentioned in the story, but that doesn't mean he didn't have more (and didn't this movie mention something about a Planet Four-Hundred-something?)

The audience seemed to be mostly teens and 20-somethings, with some older people accompanying younger children. I think many were casual fans, since, for example, no one really reacted when Jaco appeared, and I could hear people asking who he was (including my coworker sitting next to me :P) And some teenage girls said "Why does Krillin have hair?" when he took off his helmet. Um, he's had hair since the Boo arc...it might not be his most iconic look, but it's not like this is a new development!

People seemed pretty into it, though, even if they weren't the most knowledgeable bunch. There were plenty of laughs at the funny scenes, and gasps and "oh!"s during fights. The two biggest laughs were at
Though I read most of the plot spoilers back when the movie came out, I never read the full detailed summary, so there were still moments like these that were pleasant surprises for me. Bulma was really funny, too. From accidentally(?) pushing her father into the pond, to bossing around everyone no matter how much stronger they are than her, she was just a delight :D Also, I think people enjoyed seeing some of the pushed aside characters reliving their former glory. My husband was especially pleased that Kame Sennin joined the fight, and was like "YES!" when he beefed up to his muscly form.

I guess one advantage to being part of a smaller, less raucous audience than I was with Battle of Gods is that even when the audience reacted loudly, it never drowned out the movie. When I went to Battle of Gods, there were many lines I couldn't hear due to the audience's laughter and/or applause at certain points, and had to wait until I viewed it again to know what happened immediately following those big moments.

I feel like the translation was solid, though it feels weird to say that when I haven't seen the movie in Japanese yet. Like Battle of Gods, there were lines here and there that were obviously punched up, but nothing felt way out of place to me. But I guess I'll reserve final judgment on the accuracy until after I see it in Japanese.

During the ending credits, I laughed at the inclusion of subtitles for the Engrish version of Vow of Z. Could've used those for FLOW's Cha-la Head Cha-la last time!

Overall, I really enjoyed myself. I knew from reading about the plot beforehand that I wasn't going to like it as much as Battle of Gods, but it was still fun! The only real disappointment I had was that
Looking forward to watching the Japanese version when it comes out.

After we left the theater, we stopped to take a picture of the marquee. I unintentionally (or subconsciously?) sort of mimicked Golden Freeza's pose...though it was dark, so I'm not really visible anyway. We found it funny that Resurrection F seemed like an afterthought. "Look at this other shit we're playing! Oh, and DBZ, too"

A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:20 am

I took a couple of friends to the Saturday 11:30am showing.

Despite the movie screening so early, the room was packed and sold out. The movie was fun, the dub was fun (I didn't mind the "spicing-up" of the dialogue); the audience was a riot; however, the final fight between Goku and Freeza dragged a bit. One of them has only read the manga front to back and the other who has only seen the anime dubbed-only via the original Cartoon Network airings. That said, the movie got a solid thumbs-up from both of them.

In short; great experience, and I'm looking forward to the alternate version via Super.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:22 am

I just saw it today as well and I enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. I couldn't help but read about the plot and everything that occurred after it was first released in Japan, but just decided to save my opinion on it when I actually saw it.

The battle scenes with the Z-fighters + Jaco against Freeza's army were great! It was refreshing to see them back in action and actually effective again. I also enjoyed the interaction between Whis, Beerus, Goku and Vegeta. The dialogue between them really allowed them to shine and exemplify what they are about as characters.

I loved Whis' breakdown of Goku's and Vegeta's weaknesses and how those observations came back full circle.

As for the whole issue with Vegeta that everyone was originally up in arms about (and it's been a while since I've been in this thread and I'm not sure how people feel about it now), I thought it was just fine for the following reasons

1. When Vegeta fights Goku during his fight with Freeza, it was more comical than anything else.
2. Vegeta not wanting to fight Freeza when he first transform didn't change my view of his character at all. The same why people got on Vegeta for not wanting to fight him should have gotten on Goku also for offering Vegeta his turn right when Freeza changed.
3. Vegeta finishing him when Freeza was weakened and offering to take his turn was even commented on by Goku, so I don't see why people had a problem with it.
4. And Finally, Vegeta's fight with Freeza was all I really needed as a fan of the character. I don't care that Freeza was weakened, Vegeta kicked his ass to the point where Freeza decided to blow up the earth. And it's not like Goku wasn't having a hard time with Freeza before he was weakened. The way I see it, Vegeta wouldn't have fought him much different from Goku had he fought him from the start.

I also didn't have any issues with Gohan's regression. He is a family man who doesn't train much any more, that's it. I don't see what the big deal is. Do I want Gohan to be stronger and on par with Goku and Vegeta? Sure, but he's just not there anymore. It's more frustrating to me that the Z-fighters still train and don't get much stronger. It would be one thing if Gohan did train and was still a scrub, but he just doesn't have the same thirst for battle as his pops. Maybe later on something inspires Gohan to get back to training. Like a legit threat to his family specifically. There is more to do with this character eventually and maybe we'll get it.

Overall, the movie was a blast. I took my son and it was amazing to see how many generations this show has impacted. The theater was packed with people of all ages. The audience was clapping and laughing throughout the whole movie. Dragon Ball is back!

I am curious to see how Super will handle Revival of F and if we will get additional insight on Freeza's training and the new SSJG transformation. But I'm sure the way Super handles the Battle of Gods retelling will tell us all we need to know.

Great movie though, loved it!
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:30 am

I bit belated, but:

--Went on Wednesday, and it was a pretty packed house. No complaints about the audience. Nobody shouted at inappropriate times or anything.

--Shuu wishing for a million zenny got an absolutely huge laugh out of the audience, for some reason (I mean, it's a good joke, but I wouldn't have considered it a highlight). The 18/Kuririn scene, Vegeta beating up on Goku, and the gang moving closer to Beerus also got some of the biggest responses. Jaco also got many laughs.

--Kuririn's "We Are" ringtone didn't get a big response, but some people laughed, and I could hear someone quietly saying something about One Piece.

--The dub script was very close to the original, possibly more so than BoG. The main difference was how Freeza's dialogue was...well, not exactly "punched up" with jokes, but rather "worded up": he often says essentially the same thing as in Japanese, but in a more elaborate way. I've heard people complain about this aspect of Chris Ayres' Freeza before, but I guess I never watched Kai consistently enough for it to really stand out. For the most part I didn't mind, and often I quite liked the way he phrased things, but it did occasionally border on annoying. There's even a joke they added in where he uses some big word and then has to explain to Sorbet what it means. I guess they were trying to match Freeza's mock-ultra politeness in Japanese, but "polite" and "wordy" aren't really the same things.

--Apart from Freeza's dialogue, the only dub change that really stands out is Whis' "I'm a life-form known as 'Whis'" line: originally he just stops there enigmatically, but in the dub he goes on into a whole speech explaining how he's Beerus' attendant and therefore has various abilities to help him fulfill his duties, or words to that effect. He says all this extra stuff in the background, since (as in the original) the scene's focus shifts elsewhere after he says the "life-form known as 'Whis'" bit.

--Overall I thought the dub performances were good. Chris Ayres was excellent. Beerus and Whis' dub voices are still great (and Ian Sinclair seemed to do the best at trivia). The entire main cast was pretty solid. I liked Sorbet a lot too. Some of the various random Freeza goons were weak, but they didn't get many lines, so it's no big deal. For some reason I still don't like Pilaf's voice though. This surprises me, because I watched a good chunk of Funi's original DB dub back when it aired, and I never seemed to have a problem with his voice then. I don't know if his dub voice has changed, or if my tastes have.

--Favorite dub line: Jaco's "I don't have time to debate cosmic theology with you!"; runner-up is Freeza pointing out that Vegeta isn't actually prince of anyone anymore.

--Least favorite dub line: actually nothing specific really stand out, unlike in BoG. I guess I would just dial Freeza's vocabulary back a notch.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:40 am

I went to the Paragon Theater in Newport News, VA. The movie was cropped to Cinemascope aspect ratio (what I like to call wider-screen), which got on my nerves even though it only hurt a few scenes. The crowd was great, too. I noticed some scenes got some "undeserved" reactions, though.
As for reactions that felt warranted,
Overall, my experience was pretty damn good. Some might disagree and say they hate a noisy crowd, but to me, it was all about the experience, and I'll get to fully enjoy the movie when it comes out on Blu-ray.

Oh yeah, and the movie was pretty cool.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:37 am

Herms wrote:--Favorite dub line....runner-up is Freeza pointing out that Vegeta isn't actually prince of anyone anymore.
That line got a funny reaction from my theater crowd. Right after Freeza said that, pretty much everyone in the theater went, "Ooooooohhhhh...." (simultaneously indicating amusement at Freeza's deep-cutting insult and a realization that that was going to piss Vegeta off).
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

ShadowDude112

Post by ShadowDude112 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:10 pm

So I saw it with my cousin in Long Island. It was good. But we had the same gripe with the theater. Every time a character did like a signature move or did something funny, the whole theater would laugh super loud for what felt like the longest time. It was really longer than it should have. Like, Roshi did a Kamehameha and everyone cheered. It's like, "oh my god! A character did a thing they do?! Let's all cheer!" It was super annoying. It didn't help that they would go for so long if their was dialog, you couldn't hear some of it. It annoyed my cousin and it annoyed me. There was some guy two rows behind me who kept talking throughout the whole movie, so I turned to him and said "I came to see a movie, not listen to you. So fuck off." It was rude, sure, but it was annoying the hell out of me. I kept eye contact with him. I'm not afraid to say things if you're ruining the movie for me. But my cousin enjoyed it. He said he'd give this movie like an 8 and Battle of Gods would get a 9. But he still enjoyed this movie. He said he'd get the blu-ray of this like he did with BoG. I made the comment that it would be good since if he did that, he could understand what some of the characters were saying.
EDIT: Also everyone would laugh at something Krillin related. Like, when Sonny Strait was on the screen for the pre-show, they all laughed. Or when Krillin was doing anything at all even if it was badass, they would laugh. Thanks, TFS. Really appreciate it.
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:If Toriyama joined Kanzenshuu, he'd probably forget his login name and password.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:
JacobYBM wrote:No, why would it? It's fiction. The strength of the characters is not possible to reach in reality.
I mean, you're pretty open about looking at cartoon porn. Why would you do that? It's fiction. The proportions of these women are not possible to reach in reality.

funrush

Post by funrush » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:02 pm

Way more packed than before. The preshow had a bit of people talking, cause like you don't really need to take the preshow super seriously. Parts of it sounded like they were trying to sell me the movie even though I already gave them my money, but it was pretty fun nonetheless.

Parts that got laughs:
Opening scene with Freeza in Hell
Jaco/Taco/Paco and his depiction of Freeza
Daddy Piccolo
Shu's wish
Cop Krillin
18's "He's so cool"
Ten saying he told Yamcha and Chaozu to stay home. The laughter here was automatic, like they knew what he was gonna say before he finished even saying it.
Jaco asking for a picture.

Those were the ones that got the whole audience, there were parts that got smaller groups of people, but I can't remember all of them.

Misc.
Freeza's "Prince of Nothing" line got lots of OOOO's followed by silence and a "You gon' die" once Vegeta began to advance.

My thoughts: