Dragon Ball Z: Top 15 Funniest Alternations & Censoring

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Dragon Ball Z: Top 15 Funniest Alternations & Censoring

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:16 pm

For anyone who's interested, i stumbled upon this great video, which is a list of the 15 worst edits from the Saban Ball Z era.

It's a pretty comprehensive list, although i was a bit disappointed it left out the funniest Saban edit of them all
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

DB1984
Banned

Re: Dragon Ball Z: Top 15 Funniest Alternations & Censoring

Post by DB1984 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:18 am

I laughed so hard over the "Cargo Robot", "Parachutes", and "He was a brilliant Scientist".

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:14 am

"Another dimension".

Also, we can consider censorship from another dubs right? Cause in most of european dubs(the ones that were based in the french, speccially), they used a lot of dumb dialogues to make the scripts more light and less heavy/complex.

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:58 am

I didnt watch it all through but i didnt like the video much, 80% of it was nit picking and annoying voices. at least it was informative though
Last edited by Ree on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Badass Metabee avatar created by Endless-warr!

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:17 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote: Image
WHAT ? Anyway whenever tenshinhan says "I can see their parachutes, their okay" I just see him giving a thumbs up. Also dude does a great brain Drummond impression.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:31 pm

After Vegeta and Nappa crash through buildings while landing on Earth. The mass deaths are covered by having Vegeta say, "Too bad it's Sunday, those buildings would've been full."
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:43 pm

Tenshinhan gets his arm mercilessly hammered off by Napa's punch. But the tension is cut by Tenshinhan's retort "Just wait until that grows back!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:47 pm

Ree wrote:I didnt watch it all through but i like the video much, 80% of it was nit picking and annoying voices. at least it was informative though
It wasn't nitpicky at all. In terms of censoring, Ocean (Saban's fault mainly) really destroyed a lot of scenes. Yeah FUNImation was behind it, doesn't make it any better or worse

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:05 pm

I enjoyed that video. I loved the end where he mentioned that they started saying die again in the season 3 dub, and then said "and everything was perfect from then on", and he proceeds to show some of the worst lines from season 3 (though the "Hope of the Universe" speech is conspicuously absent). :lol:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:35 pm

it WAS nitpicky
for one he complains about the next dimension which it actually exists.
Then he complains about reporters sending a cargo robot... why not? Its not worth risking their lives, cargo robots would be convenient
We know it wasn't a cargo robot but there's still logic behind it

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:37 pm

Ree wrote:I didnt watch it all through but i like the video much, 80% of it was nit picking and annoying voices. at least it was informative though
Though I agree about the annoying voices, those were not nitpicks. How did vegeta know it was a Sunday ? Why does vegeta know what a Sunday is ? Those aren't nitpicks or someone thinking to far into it, those lines make no sense.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Ree
Regular

Post by Ree » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm

Every universe would have days of the week
And even if they didn't he could have heard about it from some nobody
that was the PERFECT example of nitpicking

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:42 pm

Funny video but I wish he didnt use the Dragon Box remastered ocean dub for some of the parts. When he talks about avoiding dead. In the Pioneer Dub they made a nemkian blink and Dadoria putting his hand through a namekian was censored too as well as a lot of blood.

White it is a strecth still if you never seen the proper edits it looks even more bad if you just see it with the Dragon Box remaster clips.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:44 pm

Vegeta's "radical weaponry" and "brilliant scientist" lines demonstrate how thoroughly the writers didn't understand the source material. And the apple tree edit has convinced me that George Lucas actually doesn't make the most pointless edits in the world.
Last edited by RedRibbonSoldier#42 on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedRibbonSoldier#42
Regular

Post by RedRibbonSoldier#42 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Ree wrote:Every universe would have days of the week
This seems like quite the stretch to justify silly censorship. It's unlikely all worlds have the same days as Earth, and who would Vegeta have learned about Sunday from?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:52 pm

Ree wrote:it WAS nitpicky
for one he complains about the next dimension which it actually exists.
Then he complains about reporters sending a cargo robot... why not? Its not worth risking their lives, cargo robots would be convenient
We know it wasn't a cargo robot but there's still logic behind it
Yes, the logic is that apparently kids can't deal with the concept of death, so we must protect them at all costs.
Every universe would have days of the week
That's a stretch, it's clearly there to cover up the mass deaths, and you can tell from the delivery that the line was inserted for that purpose. What's worse is that minutes later after Nappa destroys the city, he says it was evacuated! How?! There were people less than 10 feet from him when he obliterated it. It's not nitpicky, it treats the audience like simpletons.

While not DBZ, in DB, instead of luring Oolong with panties on a fishing hook, Goku lures Oolong with money.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:57 pm

You don't know that. That's like assuming that every universe has the same alphabet. Not to mention this was vegeta first time on earth and (note I'm going off mermoy because I don't feel like reading volume 18/2 again) after landing nappa blew up a city and they went to go fight the z- warriors (or Z-sunshi). Even if vegeta heard that it was a sunday, HOW does he know that on Sunday people don't go out as often ? Even then it's a huge stretch to say that everyone in that city is Christian.
Last edited by Soppa Saia People on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:04 pm

Another one that comes to mind is after Nappa blows up East City and mentions the city being evacuated despite us seeing it full of people shortly before.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:07 pm

soppa saia people wrote:
You don't know that. That's like assuming that every universe has the same alphabet. Not to mention this was vegeta first time on earth and (note I'm going off mermoy because I don't feel like reading volume 18/2 again) after landing nappa blew up a city and they went to go fight the z- warriors (or Z-sunshi). Even if vegeta heard that it was a sunday, HOW does he know that on Sunday people don't go out as often ? Even THEN it's a HUGE stretch to say that everyone in that city is Christian.
It has nothing to do with being Christian. Even on Saturdays, office buildings are often empty or at least not filled to capacity because it's the weekend. Point taken though.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:24 pm

ABED wrote:
soppa saia people wrote:
You don't know that. That's like assuming that every universe has the same alphabet. Not to mention this was vegeta first time on earth and (note I'm going off mermoy because I don't feel like reading volume 18/2 again) after landing nappa blew up a city and they went to go fight the z- warriors (or Z-sunshi). Even if vegeta heard that it was a sunday, HOW does he know that on Sunday people don't go out as often ? Even THEN it's a HUGE stretch to say that everyone in that city is Christian.
It has nothing to do with being Christian. Even on Saturdays, office buildings are often empty or at least not filled to capacity because it's the weekend. Point taken though.

Oh okay, I'm stupid :lol:

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸