Abbreviation: SSJ

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

garfield15
Beyond Newbie

Abbreviation: SSJ

Post by garfield15 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:25 pm

So you think the fandom at large like outside of here even remembers what the "j" part of SSJ means? It's just that I was laughing with my friend with a parody video in which the abbreviation is yelled and on a whim I just asked "hey you know what the J part of SSJ means" and he looked flabergasted

I always thought of it as a holdover from the old old pre-Toonami Dragon Ball days when the bootleg tapes fandom referred to the forms with an abbreviation of the Japanese name and somehow it was passed down and stuck with us to this day. I feel a majority of fans around the net just use it. How did it even do that?

Also, on a lesser note, I wonder if less hardcore fans know that Senzu in Senzu beans is an actual word.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Re: Abbreviation: SSJ

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:41 pm

I always presumed we use "ssj" despite saying saiyan instead of saiyajin because the abbreviation "ss" has WWII connotations.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:49 pm

I think 'SSJ' was just a holdover from the pre-Toonami days. It's certainly where I got my use of it, although I've kind of been using only 'SS' or 'Super Saiyan' as of late for simplicity's sake.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:50 pm

I admit, I learned the Saiyajin part kinda late in the game. But it's my dub's fault which called the Saiyans, "guerreiros do espaço" which is literally translated warriors of space; Super Saiyan was " Super-Guerreiro", translated "super warrior". So the first time I saw Saiyajin, I thought "what the hell is this"?!

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:11 pm

My dub uses "Saiyajin" so I just go with either SS or SSJ, no preferred one. Though I think "SSJG" and "SSJGSSJ" look weird so for them it's always SSG and SSGSS.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:16 pm

I have been using SSJ since the Namek saga aired in the US. I knew the Japanese name was saiyajin, so it kind of stuck.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:22 pm

garfield15 wrote:Also, on a lesser note, I wonder if less hardcore fans know that Senzu in Senzu beans is an actual word.
Well, it's Japanese for "Hermit Bean", if that's what you mean, but it's a term Toriyama invented, and isn't used outside DB. It's not like "Kami", "Roshi", "Baba", etc, which are ordinary, fairly common Japanese words.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:16 am

I use SSJ in most cases simply because "SS Trunks" sounds like the name of a boat owned by a swimwear company's CEO.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:23 am

Herms wrote:
garfield15 wrote:Also, on a lesser note, I wonder if less hardcore fans know that Senzu in Senzu beans is an actual word.
Well, it's Japanese for "Hermit Bean", if that's what you mean, but it's a term Toriyama invented, and isn't used outside DB. It's not like "Kami", "Roshi", "Baba", etc, which are ordinary, fairly common Japanese words.
Now I half-wish Funi did translate its name just because of how silly and unappetizing "hermit beans" sounds. X3
Last edited by Chuquita on Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

voltlunok
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by voltlunok » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:23 am

Kendamu wrote:I use SSJ in most cases simply because "SS Trunks" sounds like the name of a boat owned by a swimwear company's CEO.
I don't know why but this sentence combined with your AV image just make me chuckle...I know, I'm weird.

On topic now! I still use SSJ, for the longest time I was like "The heck does the J stand for...?" till I got bored at school one day and googled it...from then on I knew! I use it still cause my hands are kinda trained to type SSJ when ever I think of abbreviating Super Saiyan, muscle memory is a hard thing to break.
Going on hiatus. Too much stuff in RL to deal with for me to keep up with posts here for now. Was fun, hope you all have a nice day and future! Volt signing off.

With the many years on the net I've spent...I've learned being polite takes you much further then being a dick. So...lesson here is! Don't be a dick!

"Fill up your stomach and your happiness! " - Cure Honey

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:11 pm

In Germany Saiyajin are Saiyajin, Tsufurujin are Tsufurujin (as well as "Tsufurianer") and Namekkuseijin are "Namekianer", so I knew it before.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:20 pm

Both the Croatian dub and the English one they aired here used the English pronunciation but I just saw everyone using SSJ so I just went with it. Didn't really know the reason until a few years ago around the time BoG came out.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:00 am

I remember when in an anime-related shop in 2002-2003 I'd often talk with clerk and he said he wondered on the marketing of the toys with "SS Vegeta" and if guys would mistake for being ships or nazis with the name.

irreality
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by irreality » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:30 am

Well, if you have the "Princess Bulma" ship, maybe you can also buy the "SS Vegeta" battleship to go along with it. :lol:

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:50 am

Well, yeah, the SS have a little weird ring to it and SSJ sounds more cooler to me.
And of course, growing up on the German dub, it is Super Saiyajin!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 8:38 am

I've always seen "SSJ" and obviously always knew what it was. The thing is, though, I never abbreviate it. It doesn't take me so far out of my way to write "Super Saiyan."

OkamiTakahashi

Post by OkamiTakahashi » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:59 pm

When I was little I didn't know any Japanese- so I didn't know what SSJ really was- I thought it was some kind of evil Super Saiyan. So over the years I've alternate between SS and SSJ but generally stick with the latter nowadays- it just somehow sounds better to me abbreviated like that. Kind of weird how many of us use SSJ but still refer to them in full English as Super Saiyan. It takes less time to say than Super Saiyajin- though using SS does too but I usually don't use SS anymore. Reminds me too much of cruise ships.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:26 am

I originally started using SSJ just to fit in with the online fandom despite not knowing what it meant and after 6 years of using it, typing SS just doesn't feel right.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:11 am

At first, when I started using the "SSJ" abbreviation on online forum, I had not idea what it meant. I was only after I started watching the original JPN dub of Z that it all made sense to me.