Could 17 or 18 single handedly power a Spirit Bomb?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TKB21

Could 17 or 18 single handedly power a Spirit Bomb?

Post by TKB21 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:05 am

Being that the two are androids and have an unlimited source of energy, hypothetically speaking could either of them be enough to power a Spirit Bomb? More in particular the Super Spirit Bomb used against Buu. If so would it take longer to generate as opposed to Earth's group effort? I figured if they were at full power it wouldn't make a difference being that they wouldn't fatigue.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Re: Could 17 or 18 single handedly power a Spirit Bomb?

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:13 am

No, because the infinite energy they produce isn't ki, which Genki is part of. They still have their regular human amount, but they can't donate the energy produced mechanically, because it's not the type of energy the Genki Dama uses.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:36 am

The androids (and Cell) are powered by エネルギー (lit. energy) which is used in Japanese when describing power utilized by machines such as nuclear fission or solar power. Cell's difference is that he can theoretically use both mechanical energy (from androids) and "ki" (spiritual energy) from absorbing life forms, as well as powering a spirit bomb. Since the Android #17 and #18's source of infinite energy is mechanical and not ki, as far as we know, they cannot power the spirit bomb infinitely.

But who knows, maybe that will change in Super.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:27 pm

#17 already gave his power. It was a normal ball like everyone else's.

LuckyCat
Advanced Regular

Post by LuckyCat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:37 pm

Xeogran wrote:#17 already gave his power. It was a normal ball like everyone else's.
This more or less proves he couldn't power a good spirit bomb though. Even with #17's energy, Goku still needed Mr. Satan's help. And, like Kamiccolo9 was saying, that energy came from #17's organic structure, not some mechanical power coil or whatever runs his cybernetic parts.

Tectorman
Regular

Post by Tectorman » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:56 pm

17 and 18 don't run out of energy, but that doesn't mean they can supply an infinite amount all at once. Could the two of them single-handedly power a Spirit Bomb strong enough to take out, say, Kid Buu? Sure, but it would probably take hours, maybe even days. Not useful mid-fight.
Twilight: My library?! My library!! Do you have any idea how many books I had in there?!
Lord Tirek: How many, little princess?
Twilight: Over NINE THOUSAND!!!

TKB21

Post by TKB21 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:54 pm

LuckyCat wrote:
Xeogran wrote:#17 already gave his power. It was a normal ball like everyone else's.
This more or less proves he couldn't power a good spirit bomb though. Even with #17's energy, Goku still needed Mr. Satan's help. And, like Kamiccolo9 was saying, that energy came from #17's organic structure, not some mechanical power coil or whatever runs his cybernetic parts.
I was gonna mention this in my original post but when it came to an individual's contribution to the spirit bomb it just appears to be plot forced in that everyone's energy was equal. I say this because if that wasn't the case then why not have Gohan and Gotenks power up near-max and give up their energy in that manner. Would that be enough? Probably not but would be a hefty amount to say the least. Again though, it's plot and its never been explicitly stated how energy contributions/levels work for the spirit bomb unless I'm mistaken.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:04 pm

As has already been mentioned, without knowing the ration of how ki works, there's no reason to assume Gohan and Gotenks could contribute enough genki to defeat Buu themselves. It's very possible that genki is an aspect of ki that remains about the same regardless of the size of someone's power, meaning the farmer with his trusty shotgun and Whis could both have the same amount of genki, despite being absolutely nowhere near each other in power. In that, the series has been fairly consistent: gathering the little bit of genki he did on Earth nets a small Genki Dama, gathering the genki of Namek and the surrounding sections of space nets a large Genki Dama, and taking genki from Earth and the maximum the human population can donate generates a massive Genki Dama.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Oh yeah definitely. It will take forever because it's still one or two people powering it, but yeah.