Strange how distant the Z-Warriors & Co. are during peace

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TKB21

Strange how distant the Z-Warriors & Co. are during peace

Post by TKB21 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:54 pm

One thing that never sat well with me was how distant the Z-Warriors are outside battle. Whether it be times of peace or just large time gaps in general they literally lose all forms of communication with each other. I use three instances: Training for the androids, post Cell Saga, post Buu Saga. It's just strange that you have people that have put their lives on the line for one another on multiple occasions never see each other at all in a span of 3-10 years. The only two I could side with in this instance are Tien and Chiaotzu being, as far as Z were close to the others in the group but still friends none-the-less. Not expecting them to be over for every Sunday dinner but not one birthday? The same goes for the birth of Bulla and Pan. Dating as far back as Dragon Ball, Goku and Bulma have known each other since they were kids. Not trying to complain but find it irregular from a anthropologic perspective.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Strange how distant the Z-Warriors & Co. are during peac

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:20 pm

I'd imagine the Z-Warriors prefer to have private lives.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:23 pm

It's called real life. Stuff gets in the way of hanging out with friends.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:32 pm

It's never made sense to me either, assuming they do consider each other close friends. In real life, there are so many variables that can distance friends from one another (like, literally, the distance apart from one another), but these guys can fly around the planet in a span of minutes or seconds. Goku is a straight up dick for not using IT to see his friends for like 5 years. lol.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

The Monkey King
Advanced Regular

Post by The Monkey King » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:20 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:It's called real life. Stuff gets in the way of hanging out with friends.
I don't see how this is a valid point in the slightest. Dragon Ball is not real life. it would be pretty easy for characters to visit each other even in the small free time they have since they can teleport and fly at super sonic speeds. Unlike real life where if your friends live far away it would be time consuming and expensive to visit them.

TKB21

Post by TKB21 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 pm

The Monkey King wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It's called real life. Stuff gets in the way of hanging out with friends.
I don't see how this is a valid point in the slightest. Dragon Ball is not real life. it would be pretty easy for characters to visit each other even in the small free time they have since they can teleport and fly at super sonic speeds. Unlike real life where if your friends live far away it would be time consuming and expensive to visit them.
This and the fact that outside of Bulma (and maybe Gohan post Buu) none of them have any real commitments outside of training. For kicks we could factor in Vegeta's job referenced in Wrath of the Dragon...

RealtreeByGod
Beyond Newbie

Post by RealtreeByGod » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:56 pm

TKB21 wrote:
The Monkey King wrote:
This and the fact that outside of Bulma (and maybe Gohan post Buu) none of them have any real commitments outside of training. For kicks we could factor in Vegeta's job referenced in Wrath of the Dragon...
He meant day off of training. IDK why so many people don't get that.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:57 am

Their common interest was combat, fighting, and proving their worth as warriors. After a tournament or a threat to the planet has run its course, everyone probably wants to retreat and hone their skills so that they can show how much they can improve (and how much better of warriors they are than everyone else) for the next time everyone gets together.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:17 am

It is strange. They do consider themselves friends, you could say Bulma and Goku are 'totes besties', yet Goku shows up one day and says he has a son, and never even thought to tell anyone before that moment. Of course like romance, Toriyama never put time into building characters outside of fighting. Say what you will about the Toei movies 1 - 13, at least in the down time of those flicks, a semblance of friendship was formed outside of battle.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Go read the Wuxia thread; there's a nice big chunk about this around the beginning. The majority of the first page is essentially summarizing Goku's major inspirations.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

TKB21

Post by TKB21 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:33 pm

B wrote:Go read the Wuxia thread; there's a nice big chunk about this around the beginning. The majority of the first page is essentially summarizing Goku's major inspirations.
Thanks. Do you have the link to the thread?

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:31 pm

Goku has the excuse of lacking normal social standards due to being raised in the woods by Grampa Gohan. Vegeta is a grumpy, antisocial, excersize nut, who doesn't really like anyone except Bulma and Trunks. Piccolo has also been a loner for most of the series, only really warming up to Gohan. Everyone else seems to meet up on occasion.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:12 pm

Well that is goku for you.He goes off to train and forgets to come back ^^.

As for the rest.Well IIRC gohan/goten and trunks visited each other during the 7 year gap between cell and buu saga.

krillin and 18 are with kamesenin i think and yamcha was it?I'm sure they visited bulma and so on every now and then.vegeta doesnt give a rat's ass about it.And piccolo is a loner.

As for the android period.Well they all trained hard since their lives were on the line.