"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:42 am

World Trigger is about to begin a new story arc, an original story arc to buy time for more chapters of the comic to be release, actually. Series Director Hongou Mitsuru has left the series, too, so one could say there is a bit of re-branding going on.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:00 am

JulieYBM wrote:World Trigger is about to begin a new story arc, an original story arc to buy time for more chapters of the comic to be release, actually. Series Director Hongou Mitsuru has left the series, too, so one could say there is a bit of re-branding going on.
Many thanks. I'm not that informed on World Trigger in the way I am other Toei TV series. Re-branding; I understand that. I guess World Trigger must be doing better for them than Toriko did if they're working this hard to keep it going despite it catching up to the source material.

I guess it's good that there isn't a DB special at this year's Jump Festa; it would probably take away from what little resources Super has.

I do hope there is a Dragon Ball panel at Jump Festa though; even if it's like last year's where they read parts of scripts that haven't been animated yet. (Maybe they'll reveal Champa's Attendant's name at Jump Festa?)
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:10 am

Nah, World Trigger's ratings are complete trash and I can't recall there being any merchandise. Either way, it seems to be something Toei Animation and TV Asahi are pushing right now.
She/Her
The coolest girl you know

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:17 am

JulieYBM wrote:Nah, World Trigger's ratings are complete trash and I can't recall there being any merchandise. Either way, it seems to be something Toei Animation and TV Asahi are pushing right now.
Ah, so it is more like Toriko after all, in that it's a new franchise Toei is trying to make popular, but isn't succeeding in becoming popular. ^^;

They give it ad space in VJump each month, I have noticed that the past several months I've been buying VJump.

If things are that bad, I wouldn't mind them dumping it and sending those staff to help on Super instead. >_>
But Super's biggest problem is there isn't enough time to get stuff done competently, isn't it? Like they have talented people, but no time to let them do their best?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:45 am

JulieYBM wrote:Nah, World Trigger's ratings are complete trash and I can't recall there being any merchandise. Either way, it seems to be something Toei Animation and TV Asahi are pushing right now.
I think Shueisha is the one who wants it to keep going, the manga has been selling more ever since the anime started, as it usually happens. Toei just needs to keep the train running, even if on autopilot (i don't see them putting much effort behind this filler season).
Chuquita wrote:But Super's biggest problem is there isn't enough time to get stuff done competently, isn't it? Like they have talented people, but no time to let them do their best?
That's a problem affecting pretty much the entire industry right now. It's almost impossible at this point to see a staff "doing their best" in a weekly basis for tv anime. A Jump Festa ova wouldn't really affect anything though. Those are short stories and i doubt Toei would pay so much attention.

Captain Space
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Captain Space » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:31 am

Man, that just reminded me of how irritated the Toriko anime made me...the manga was so gooood...

At this point I really can't think of any other reason not to reveal girl-Whis' name other than "it's also Whis". The only other explanation I can think of is they're being deliberately infuriating, and that's not like them, they like to give spoileriffic stuff away like candy.
"Actually I didn’t know what Bulma’s real hair color was" --Toriyama

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:02 pm

Captain Space wrote:Man, that just reminded me of how irritated the Toriko anime made me...the manga was so gooood...
It's frustrating when you get less popular series getting top notch treatment:

Gintama - Sunrise
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood - Bones
Hunter x Hunter 2011 - Madhouse

Beautiful adaptations. People would think that Super, the new anime after 18 years from the most famous anime series worlwide, would get all the best.

HunterxHunter 2011 and Gintama are long shows. What the staff did with them deserves all the praise they can get. Its a feat.
I'm also proud of Dragon Ball series (Anime + Movies) from back then. However, Super in some episodes can be an embarrassment to nowadays standards.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:38 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: It's frustrating when you get less popular series getting top notch treatment.
They get that kind of treatment because it's the only way for them to sell the product unlike something as big as DB which will sell regardless of it's quality.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:13 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:However, Super in some episodes can be an embarrassment to nowadays standards.
A lot of weekly Toei stuff nowadays really, not just Super.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:32 pm

Captain Space wrote: A lot of weekly Toei stuff nowadays really, not just Super.
Even though I follow One Piece too, Super is the only Toei anime that I truly care about. That's why I only talked about it.
But as far movies go, they are great. BOG/ROF, One Piece - Strong World / Z, Digimon...
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:04 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
Captain Space wrote: A lot of weekly Toei stuff nowadays really, not just Super.
Even though I follow One Piece too, Super is the only Toei anime that I truly care about. That's why I only talked about it.
But as far movies go, they are great. BOG/ROF, One Piece - Strong World / Z, Digimon...
Yeah, their movies are usually fine, it's their weekly shows that tend suffer for animation.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:04 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:[

Gintama - Sunrise

Beautiful adaptations.
Hold your horses, FMA B and HXH are popular series.

Jaetinh
Regular

Post by Jaetinh » Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:49 am

Full music video for KEYTALK's new ending for Dragon Ball Super is out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCaDLEsqRhY

Just listened to it now:
It's pretty much a chill song, it's hard to imagine the ending video will feature some kind of action with this song.. and that's pretty disappointing considering the fact that we probably won't get a new opening for RoF saga. The song itself is alright, I don't think it's horrible.

edit: I meant ending, not opening.
Last edited by Jaetinh on Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:36 am

Jaetinh wrote:Full music video for KEYTALK's new opening for Dragon Ball Super is out:

That was horrible.
It kinda reminds me of Digimon's Brave Heart with the slightest hint of Garfield towards the end :lol: Anyways it's in that ballpark of sappy J-pop, that doesn't rise above cutesy and hopeful/optimistic themes, rather than sounding like an action track.
Here's hoping that the ending music will once again be much better than the opening music.

Vegard Aune
Advanced Regular

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:45 am

sangofe wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:[

Gintama - Sunrise

Beautiful adaptations.
Hold your horses, FMA B and HXH are popular series.
Less popular. While all three series he mentioned are indeed popular, hence why FMA got a Kanzenban release and the other two are still running after all these years even with Togashi's total lack of a schedule in HxH, none of them are even close to being as influential or popular as Dragon Ball.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:09 am

dbgtFO wrote:
Jaetinh wrote:Full music video for KEYTALK's new opening for Dragon Ball Super is out:

That was horrible.
It kinda reminds me of Digimon's Brave Heart with the slightest hint of Garfield towards the end :lol: Anyways it's in that ballpark of sappy J-pop, that doesn't rise above cutesy and hopeful/optimistic themes, rather than sounding like an action track.
Here's hoping that the ending music will once again be much better than the opening music.
The OP isn't changing. That's the new ED.

Personally, I don't like it as much as Good Morning America's current ED, Hello Hello Hello. It's not a horrible song, but I'm not really sure it needed to be slapped on Dragon Ball. Oh well, that's how the corporate marketing game works. Maybe it'll suit the animation at least...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dae428
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dae428 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:31 am

I think it works for what it is. It's pretty mellow and I think that really fits given that it's meant to be an ending song. Honestly I just hope the visuals are at least fun and interesting. At this point there's been way too much playing into the nostalgia factor with the whole history of Dragon Ball thing. I'd be perfectly content with just static images with minimal animation if it meant we got to see some relevant material for the up and coming arc or even just something fun and unique that didn't have an emphasis on nostalgia.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:51 am

Jaetinh wrote:Full music video for KEYTALK's new ending for Dragon Ball Super is out:

Just listened to it now:
It's pretty much a chill song, it's hard to imagine the ending video will feature some kind of action with this song.. and that's pretty disappointing considering the fact that we probably won't get a new opening for RoF saga. The song itself is alright, I don't think it's horrible.

edit: I meant ending, not opening.
I really don't know what to make of this. Yeah, it's pretty mellow and relaxed, but it has the same problems with the Kai ED's in that it just doesn't fit for Dragon Ball. I'm missing Good Morning America's Hello Hello Hello immensely already.

Zetto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zetto » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:06 am

What Dragon Ball ending isn't a chill or a love song? I don't love the new ending, as I've heard it once, but I'll grow fond of it.
Possibly one of the biggest
Greek Dragon Ball Fans.

ドラゴンボール Ντράγκονμπολ

Captain Space

Post by Captain Space » Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:14 am

Eh, the song's...okay. A chilled-out song can work fine as an ending for an action-packed show, as a sort of 'cooldown' (I'm thinking Trigun, Dairanger, most Saint Seiya and Hunter X Hunter endings, Gavan and its sequels...). I dunno about this one though, I think hearing the TV size version and seeing the accompanying animation will really help me decide what I think of it.