VISITING JAPAN - DRAGON BALL ROUTE

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aritz182

VISITING JAPAN - DRAGON BALL ROUTE

Post by Aritz182 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:05 pm

Hi there folks!

I am visiting Japan on November! I will spend two weeks there. I will visit:
-Osaka
-Kyoto
-Nagoya
-Tokyo

I would like to know if you guys could recommend me some places to go around so I could buy mostly Dragon Ball stuff from the early 90's (Cards from Carddass, figures from Bandai and these kind of merchandise from the 90s) in these different cities if you know them.

I don't know if the actual shops in Akihabara in Tokyo, etc will have these kind of stuff, or it would be better for me to go around and look in 2nd shops, or markets or other anime/manga places in these cities.

Could I have some recommendation from you if guys have any idea or anyone of you have ever been there?

Thank you very very much!!!

Bullza
Banned

Re: VISITING JAPAN - DRAGON BALL ROUTE

Post by Bullza » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:23 pm

I went in May and I'm going back in next May.

Nearly every other shop in Akihabara is some kind of Otaku shop that sells figures especially Dragon Ball Z and One Piece figures. You go there and there's literally no way you'll not find something because they are everywhere.

Aside from that there's a few Jump Shops in Tokyo that sell Weekly Shonen Jump/DBZ merchandise so look into that.

Also there was at least when I was there all different DBZ merchandise at the top of the Fuji TV headquarters. It might have been something to do with the movie being out or its permanent I couldn't say.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Here's what I suggest from my time there:

Osaka: Nipponbashi is your best bet for anything anime. It's pretty much the Akihabara of Osaka. You'll find figures, cels, and pretty much everything you'd expect.

Kyoto: In my experience, there's actually no dedicated area for Otaku culture in Kyoto. It's a very historical town, filled with wonderful temples, and great food. You are, however, a quick train ride away from Uji, which houses Kyoto Animation (and their official store). As someone who loves their work, that was a real privilege to visit. Their store has some very rare items that may take your interest. Nothing specifically Dragon Ball in Kyoto, I'm afraid.

There's also the Manga Museum, which is essentially a giant library filled with works ranging from the beginning of manga right up to present day. It has an international section, so you can check out releases in your own language. There's also a nice display about localisations that uses Dragon Ball as an example.

Toei have an animation museum in Kyoto, too, but it was shut down when I was there. Not entirely sure when it's open again. You may want to look into that, as it houses some of the most iconic cels from Dragon Ball (supposedly, at least).

Tokyo: You have Akihabara, which is anime heaven. It is the mecca of Japanese animation merchandise. You could spend days walking around this play! You'll find figures in almost every single shop you walk into. There's a lot of secondhand figures for super cheap, but they're in great condition, so definitely keep an eye out. For cels and cards, you'll want to check out Nakano Broadway, which houses a Mandarake store. Lots of rare stuff in there for pretty reasonable prices.

You should also check out J-World, which is in the Sunshine City mall, a few minutes walk away from Ikebukuro Station. It's a theme park dedicated to Dragon Ball, One Piece, Naruto, and all the big franchises that appear in Jump. The Pokémon Center is on the floor below, too! Even if you're not into the series, it's worth a look for the sheer number of giant stuffed animals that line the walls.

Check out what films are showing at the Wald 9 cinema in Shinjuku. There's usually a big anime release around, and that's a great place to see one at. They often have beautiful displays in the lobby. On my recent visit, they had life size statues of the Attack on Titan cast, with a huge Titan head in the center of the room.

Studio Ghibli fans should absolutely check out the Studio Ghibli Museum. You have be a bit late to book tickets, as they sell out months in advance. It's such a great experience if you're into the animation process, at all. Looking through original storyboards of some of the most famous works was very special.

Lastly, just explore! Tokyo is huge, and I had the most fun just hopping on a train to a general area and just wandering around. Being adventurous and happening upon things by accident is a great way to enjoy the city. Have a good time!

Here's some shots from my last trip, if there's anything that takes your interest, let me know and I'll point you in the right direction: http://imgur.com/a/Eun2h
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Aritz182

Post by Aritz182 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:12 am

Thank you very much guys!
I will add those places to my route and see if find something interesting relating 90s Dragon Ball Stuff.
I also checked your pictures Ajay, can't wait to be in Japan!!!!
If anyone of you guys know more places relating Dragon Ball in Japan just let me know!

dougo13
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dougo13 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:27 pm

I personally wouldn't go just to do an anime tour but to each their own. I'd try to enjoy the county and people for what it is. Never went and been involved with Japan or more than 35 years now. There are actually lots of places catering to the anime fan touring Japan market. Do a Google search and you'll probably come up with some. Dunno if there is a specific one for DB as there is with say, Space Battleship Yamato but you might want to check. Have a nice time...