Cell Destroying The Solar System?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Cell Destroying The Solar System?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:29 am

I notice this has been debated a lot with fans and I was asking do you really think that Cell would really wipe out the Solar System like he said he would? I was asking since most people believe he was lying since he has been known to bluff about stuff before and the attack resulted into a small hole into the ground after Gohan over power it.
Last edited by Hellspawn28 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Re: Cell destorying the Solar System?

Post by Herms » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:33 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:since he has been known to buff before
That's true, he did get really muscular that one time while fighting Trunks, and then later with Gohan.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:33 am

Herms, I wish our forum had a rep system so I could give you some for that.

Anyway, I can't be sure if Cell could really do it. I don't think any character quite developed the power to just generate an explosion large enough to take out a whole solar system in one shot. Maybe some folks like Super Vegetto or the more powerful Buus could, but Cell? Bit of a stretch.

The best way I think they might accomplish it is by detonating the sun. By power-scaling, someone with a Battle Power of a few hundred can blow up the moon. A few thousand can blow up a small planet. A few million can one-shot a planet (that is, destroy it without requiring any extra charging/prep time). But after that, there's a BIIIIG difference in scale between one planet and a star, much less a whole system.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:43 am

The thing about "blowing away" a solar system or whatever is that even if you had the power to do it, it'd be kinda pointless. I mean, a solar system is almost entirely empty space, so you'd mostly be "destroying"...nothing. If you wanted to get rid of the planets in a solar system in short order, it seems like you'd be better off just using a suped-up version of Boo's genocide attack, where you'd fire a bunch of planet-destroying homing missiles. I always thought that would have been a cool move for Gohan-absorbed Boo to have.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:50 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:The best way I think they might accomplish it is by detonating the sun. By power-scaling, someone with a Battle Power of a few hundred can blow up the moon. A few thousand can blow up a small planet. A few million can one-shot a planet (that is, destroy it without requiring any extra charging/prep time). But after that, there's a BIIIIG difference in scale between one planet and a star, much less a whole system.
There's also that there's a huge scale difference among planets. Jupiter's Great Red Spot (basically a gigantic hurricane) is about three times larger than the Earth by itself.

And then Jupiter is eighty times smaller than the smallest possible star, and a thousand times smaller than our Sun.

And then there's the mindbendingly large size difference between types of star.

Amigo Ten
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Amigo Ten » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:05 pm

I just take it at face value, as ridiculous as it is.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:40 pm

Amigo Ten wrote:I just take it at face value, as ridiculous as it is.
Same. It's a matter of understanding. 1 billion is ridiculously huge compared to 1 million, but our minds just process it as "1 billion is greater than 1 million." Thinking of the whole solar system getting blasted just seems like a larger scale of blowing up a single planet instead of what Rocketman points out.

Also, do we know if the two versions of Buff Cell are the same (ie: differently drawn due to Toriyama's forgetfulness)?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:07 pm

Cell said he can do it. That's good enough for me.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:39 pm

He wouldn't have to do destroy the entire solar system. If he could, the destruction of the sun could be sufficient to destroy the inner solar system, and the loss of the sun's gravitational attraction would probably send the outer planets hurdling into oblivion. I think he could at least penetrate to the sun's core with his attack. The sun's average density is 1.4 g/cm^3 and the Earth's is 5.5 g/cm^3, so the Earth is about 4 times as dense as the sun. The sun's radius is about 700,000 km, and the Earth's is about 6,400 km; significantly greater, but I am confident that the difference in density would allow it reach the core. However, we have no way to compare Cell's power to the power of the nuclear reaction in the sun's core, so it can't be said if it so much greater that it can overcome the sun's gravity.
My Super Awesome GT Origins Idea
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"
"SuperSaiyan3Goku, give me all your breasts."

Shoryuken
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Shoryuken » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:50 pm

Sure enough Cell has the destructive potential or could it be a cocky hyperbole from his side? From what Cell has shown in his fight against the Z-senshi I think he has power enough to back up his claims.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:However, we have no way to compare Cell's power to the power of the nuclear reaction in the sun's core
Cell's Kamehameha did nothing to the Earth from five feet away. The Sun's core heats the Earth up from 93 million miles away.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:09 pm

Rocketman wrote:
Freeza Heika wrote:However, we have no way to compare Cell's power to the power of the nuclear reaction in the sun's core
Cell's Kamehameha did nothing to the Earth from five feet away. The Sun's core heats the Earth up from 93 million miles away.
Ki isn't exactly thermal energy. It looks to me that ki is more like kinetic energy when it is used in Dragonball. The only thing that I would expect the Kamehameha would heat directly is the air it pushes through (which I guess is the reason that a Kamehameha glows).
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:25 pm

Rocketman wrote:Cell's Kamehameha did nothing to the Earth from five feet away. The Sun's core heats the Earth up from 93 million miles away.
Well, it made a big crater and caused earthquakes in distant cities. But do we really have to go through this whole "let's pretend DB takes place in the real world" song and dance every week?

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:38 pm

Herms wrote:
Rocketman wrote:Cell's Kamehameha did nothing to the Earth from five feet away. The Sun's core heats the Earth up from 93 million miles away.
Well, it made a big crater and caused earthquakes in distant cities. But do we really have to go through this whole "let's pretend DB takes place in the real world" song and dance every week?
Damn you Herms! You know that there is no pointing out the flaws in the mathematical and scientific arguments about Dragonball. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to prepare my thesis on why Super Buutenks is 3.4x stronger than LSSJ Broly on the 3rd Tuesday of November.
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"

Herms

Post by Herms » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:40 pm

Freeza Heika wrote: Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to prepare my thesis on why Super Buutenks is 3.4x stronger than LSSJ Broly on the 3rd Tuesday of November.
How much stronger than Broli is he on the 4th Tuesday of November, or the 1st Tuesday of December?

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:10 pm

Herms wrote:
Freeza Heika wrote: Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to prepare my thesis on why Super Buutenks is 3.4x stronger than LSSJ Broly on the 3rd Tuesday of November.
How much stronger than Broli is he on the 4th Tuesday of November, or the 1st Tuesday of December?
Don't even get my started on that...
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:13 pm

Herms wrote:But do we really have to go through this whole "let's pretend DB takes place in the real world" song and dance every week?
If people keep asking these kinds of questions, sure.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 pm

Okay, simple answer: "Probably, not, because solar systems are much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much...

*Insert Goku vs Freeza here*

... much, much, much, much, much, MUCH bigger than planets."
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Freeza Heika
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Freeza Heika » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:59 pm

Do we actually know that the DB-universe's Earth's solar system has more in it than just the Earth, sun, and moon debris?
"さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!"

Ex-Dubbie369
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ex-Dubbie369 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:01 pm

Freeza Heika wrote:Do we actually know that the DB-universe's Earth's solar system has more in it than just the Earth, sun, and moon debris?
There's a Jupiter. Bulma makes Popo direct the Namekian ship to Jupiter as a test.