GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Re: GT or Super? Which one is the best?

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:33 pm

sintzu wrote:Super has Vegetto so that's an automatic win.
But GT has Gogeta, who's better 8)
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:39 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Super will do Vegetto justice, GT could've ended that arc on a very high note with Gogeta but instead he was a joke and was replaced with Goku using the Genkidama again, like he did with Buu.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:41 pm

sintzu wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:
Super will do Vegetto justice, GT could've ended that arc on a very high note with Gogeta but instead he was a joke and was replaced with Goku using the Genkidama again, like he did with Buu.
I was just joking man :D
I perfer Vegetto.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:44 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:I was just joking man :D
I perfer Vegetto.
I like both of them and I hope we'll see Gogeta again someday.

Goku and Vegeta using fusion is rare and saved for universe life or death battles so I don't want to see it in the next arc but hopefully after 3-4.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:03 pm

Well with whats happened is Super now...I'll put my bets on the blue haired one who's fusion "WONT" run out after just 10 minutes.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:12 pm

Lord Frieza wrote:Well with whats happened is Super now...I'll put my bets on the blue haired one who's fusion "WONT" run out after just 10 minutes.
That's an unfair comparison. Potara is not supposed to "end" as long as you don't ask Shenlong, Polunga, Boo or whatever other reason.

I also have the feeling that, when Vegetto does not end the battle with a Mafuuba, that Goku and Vegeta and/or Trunks might end the battle.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:32 pm

In reply to the OP I'd say Super by a fair margin,

I mean GT has a few good ideas, some well-executed scenes, better drawing and a better grasp of characters and levels, but overall is a a huge miss to me, I was bored to death with around the first half and couldn't stomach most of the villains lol

Super, despite atrocious representation of Goku, botched scenes and nonsensical power levels has at least been entertaining all along for me and I eagerly wait each week for next episode, thing I didn't do with GT lol

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:31 pm

GT did the most important thing correctly, portraying the characters in the right direction after Uub.
GT gave everyone a chance to fight, even if they did end up outclassed in every battle.
GT had the better music, art and animation.
SSJ4 appeals more to me than SSJB.
Goku's attitude and behavior as a SSJ4 made the series enjoyable.
I only find the Black star Dragon Ball saga to be trash but that's it.

Supers lack of tension and menacing atmosphere isn't something I'm fond of.
I also dislike how quick the moment goes. There isn't anytime to ponder the scenes because another one quickly takes its place.
The art and animation don't really show when a character is damaged or weak.

Super does have a cast of better characters though, but then again. I'd rather watch the movie versions for Beerus and Whis. I also got the manga as well to satisfy me when Super doesn't rise up.
Super ruined Trunks' design too, trying to Retcon the guys hair to blue which is fucking stupid.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:56 pm

Super handles the cast better than GT. Trunks faded to obscurity once they returned to Earth, and Gohan and Goten barely did anything. Piccolo dies way too early.

About the only thing GT did right was some focus on Pan and Uub, which we might get in Super eventually, so we'll see about that.

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:22 pm

precita wrote:Super handles the cast better than GT. Trunks faded to obscurity once they returned to Earth, and Gohan and Goten barely did anything. Piccolo dies way too early.

About the only thing GT did right was some focus on Pan and Uub, which we might get in Super eventually, so we'll see about that.
But even THEN, GT wrote Pan into an annoying, bratty little half-pint expy of Chi-Chi, Bulma, and Videl (Even then, her mother eventually grew out of her antagonizing of Gohan, following her flying lessons with him, and his supposed death at Buu's hands) combined. (With a bit of Hercule thrown in) who talks down to her own grandfather more often than not. (Granted, his body was reverted to that of a child, but still it feels REALLY uncalled for.) Not to mention that unlike her dad Gohan, who at her age, had more than enough character development to span about 2-3 arcs, Pan always felt more to me like she was just there to give Goku someone to talk to. I'd say even Goten and Trunks managed to get something close to character development, in their short stint as main characters of the Majin Buu arc. Honestly, the GRANDDAUGHTER of Son Goku? That certainly sounds like potential for a character arc if you ask me.

As for Uub, he was terribly underused in my opinion. I feel like there should have been more build-up to "Majuub" than what we ended up getting. Also, wasn't this kid supposed to be the new protector of Earth, as decided by Goku? Uub overall just felt somewhat..."rushed" to me. Also, just like Pan, I feel like he had serious potential for a character development arc, but in the end, GT wasn't able to do so.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:34 pm

precita wrote:Super handles the cast better than GT. Trunks faded to obscurity once they returned to Earth, and Gohan and Goten barely did anything. Piccolo dies way too early.

GT atleast give most of the characters something to do and give most of them closure, something Super has yet to do.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Cipher wrote:GT's Goku is consistent with where the character would be fifteen years after his hyper-bored self in the Boo arc, and after training Oob.
What was the problem with him in Boo Arc?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:38 pm

Noah wrote:What was the problem with him in Boo Arc?
None! I really like Boo arc Goku.

I was just saying he's maniacally bored by that point, and that crops up in GT as well. It basically takes place in a world where training Oob wasn't a permanent cure.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:19 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:

GT atleast give most of the characters something to do and give most of them closure, something Super has yet to do.
Who are you counting when you say, "most"?

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:24 pm

Dbzk1999 wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:

Who are you counting when you say, "most"?
Every fighting character in Z besides Yamucha, Ten, Chaozu and Kuririn.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:33 am

Noah wrote:
Cipher wrote:GT's Goku is consistent with where the character would be fifteen years after his hyper-bored self in the Boo arc, and after training Oob.
What was the problem with him in Boo Arc?
Goku during the Boo Saga was really... woked.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:42 am

Honestly, both shows are heavily flawed, despite having some good ideas. At this point, I'll be inclined to go with Super, given how strong the current arc has been (for the most part).

That being said, I'd still say that SSJ4 is the best Saiyan transformation, on the count of how distinctive it is, which is more than what can be said for SSJB.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:47 am

Depends on what you mean by "best".

In terms of popularity?

Ratings-wise, Super is destroying GT by a wide margin.

In terms of faithfulness to the feel of Dragonball?

I have to give this to Super as well, if for nothing else just the sheer fact that Toriyama is on board in some (whatever limited-but-still-more-than-GT) capacity.

Animation and art?

Again, I have to give it to Super. GT gave everyone massive chins and really scrunched up faces. The artstyle was bland, and the colors too muted.

Writing?

Again, Super. GT took the worst bits of toei movies and filler and turned them into whole Arcs.

In terms of sheer enjoyment?

For me, hands down Super. GT is painful to sit through.

I think GT fails on all levels as a series, and while Super has its flaws (everything does, really), they're fewer and father between than GT's. In addition, Super's highs are higher than GT's highs.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:02 am

I like the art style in Super better because Super looks and feels like the world of Dragon Ball with the bright colors. GT had ugly choices of color and look too dark at times.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:21 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I like the art style in Super better because Super looks and feels like the world of Dragon Ball with the bright colors. GT had ugly choices of color and look too dark at times.
Completely disagree, Super is way to bright. Well GT did use a bunch of warm colors and was a tad to dark, it looks and feels like something that would come out of Dragon Ball.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸