"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:28 pm

I'm really hoping they'll patch in New Game Plus by the time the DLC comes out.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:33 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:18 pm Holy crap, that's a high and...really random number. Wonder if they're leaving room for where some of the DLC will take us in terms of leveling?
Right, that's what I'm thinking too.

Remember though, there's no Spain or Mexico or anything like that in the DB world, like with there being no Japan. :P Her name is a reference to the Archangel Michael, as noted here. Don't know if that's the best naming convention to get that point across, but I'm sure there's a reason it was chosen by the staff (and in the game's translation as well, from what I'm hearing?) that I, a random fan with no real Japanese knowledge, am just not seeing right off.
Interesting. Still weird to give a character in a Japanese manga a random Hispanic name, especially when the human characters are clearly white or Asian.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:36 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:18 pm
Zeon_Grunt wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:07 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:33 pm Any news on the level cap? I’m looking to max everyone
It's 255. Good luck with that adventure though because the secret boss and Bonryu's Advanced training top out at lv100. You're going to have a LOT of grinding to do.
Holy crap, that's a high and...really random number. Wonder if they're leaving room for where some of the DLC will take us in terms of leveling?
Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:51 pm

Uh, what? It clearly says wife.
Being married and adopting a child aren't mutually exclusive. They're referring to the fact that apparently Videl is either half-Hispanic, or she's adopted because she sure as hell doesn't look like it.
Remember though, there's no Spain or Mexico or anything like that in the DB world, like with there being no Japan. :P Her name is a reference to the Archangel Michael, as noted here. Don't know if that's the best naming convention to get that point across, but I'm sure there's a reason it was chosen by the staff (and in the game's translation as well, from what I'm hearing?) that I, a random fan with no real Japanese knowledge, am just not seeing right off.
255?? Oof. That’s higher than I thought, and Bonyus training stopping at 100 isn’t good either. Maybe I’ll reconsider lol

Yeah, Miguel is a random name, but she’s not Hispanic or whatever else. Let’s not start with the Videl is adopted crack theories now shall we?

Zeon_Grunt
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zeon_Grunt » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:36 pm
Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:18 pm

It's 255. Good luck with that adventure though because the secret boss and Bonryu's Advanced training top out at lv100. You're going to have a LOT of grinding to do.
Holy crap, that's a high and...really random number. Wonder if they're leaving room for where some of the DLC will take us in terms of leveling?

Being married and adopting a child aren't mutually exclusive. They're referring to the fact that apparently Videl is either half-Hispanic, or she's adopted because she sure as hell doesn't look like it.
255?? Oof. That’s higher than I thought, and Bonyus training stopping at 100 isn’t good either. Maybe I’ll reconsider lol

Yeah, Miguel is a random name, but she’s not Hispanic or whatever else. Let’s not start with the Videl is adopted crack theories now shall we?
If you're on PC, there's already a trainer floating around that can grant infinite EXP. It's how I found the max level (I have a third save with everything unlocked pre-Raditz)

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:24 pm

maybe i'm showing my lack of modern gaming knowledge, but isn't 255 the max number for a lot of games in general ? like i know mother 1 the game just auto ends when there's 255 turns because the game literally can't handle more turns, and all madden games break the moment you hit 255 or so points, so that's probably why 255 is the overall cap.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:46 pm

Sorry man, she is latina and you can't stop it...

TheSaiyanGod
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by TheSaiyanGod » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:55 pm

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot was the best-selling boxed game in the UK last week, with launch sales up 13% over Dragon Ball FighterZ

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... -uk-charts

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:18 pm

So, I played up until the end of the Saiyan Saga, about almost an hour after where Gohan's in some downtime before they move on to the Frieza Saga &, I gotta tell ya, I'm starting to have some fun with the game. Now, the controls still suck, but I'm starting to get into a rhythm & learn how the game wants you to play it, as well as how the more in-depth RPG elements are designed. Gotta tell ya, though, the fact that the controls are similar enough to Xenoverse REALLY trips me up at times because of my muscle memory. Like other Action RPGs, though, the early game IS clunky until you learn how the game intends you to play it. However, I still hope they patch in a way to remap buttons into the game, since the control scheme is still clunky & unintuitive to a big degree, as well as NG+, in a future update, or updates. I'd maybe like to replay through this game in the future if we got those.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57 pm

Ok this has to be one of the best games of DBZ I've ever played. And I just defeated Raditz, I'm sightseeing non-stop, I take my time for everything. I loved walking through the grass with Gohan, riding Kinton, running around Kame House, talking to Umigame.
The fight with Raditz was the first time I've ever felt that the location looked just right, I felt like I was there, Xenoverse tried but this took me to the actual episode, well sort of, because it looks there really is no fighting on the ground. And too bad the clothes stay intact. Still this game looks beautiful and can't complain at all so far.

I got so excited with the Raditz saga which isn't my favourite saga or character like AT ALL, I'm guessing I'm losing my mind when I get to Namek. Also hope to get more slice of life stuff.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:02 am

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:24 pmMiguel? so I guess Videl was adopted
Not that we know about.

By the way, the information that Miguel was a singer is not new, I just had forgot about it.
I've come to tear you apart, Sharpshot!

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 pm All the new information so far:

• Gero's son is named Gebo and his codename under the Red Ribbon forces was "gold".

• Muten Roshi is 332 years old by the time Vegeta and Nappa appear (coinciding with his guidebook birth year, AGE 430).

• The Namekuseijin's lifespan is 200. But those who were born with "special abilities" can exceed that and live over 500 years (this explains why Piccolo is still alive in Dragon Ball Online).

• They explain why there aren't many humans with animal appearances anymore but I couldn't find a proper translation.

• Android 17 and 18 were orphans.

• Trunks achieved Super Saiyan without special training and the game mentions the S-Cells inherited being the cause of it.

• Mr Satan's wife, Miguel, was a singer.
Bulma's mother has a new name.

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:43 am
Grimlock wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:12 pm All the new information so far:

• Gero's son is named Gebo and his codename under the Red Ribbon forces was "gold".

• Muten Roshi is 332 years old by the time Vegeta and Nappa appear (coinciding with his guidebook birth year, AGE 430).

• The Namekuseijin's lifespan is 200. But those who were born with "special abilities" can exceed that and live over 500 years (this explains why Piccolo is still alive in Dragon Ball Online).

• They explain why there aren't many humans with animal appearances anymore but I couldn't find a proper translation.

• Android 17 and 18 were orphans.

• Trunks achieved Super Saiyan without special training and the game mentions the S-Cells inherited being the cause of it.

• Mr Satan's wife, Miguel, was a singer.
Bulma's mother has a new name.
Did Toriyama come up with this?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57 pm Ok this has to be one of the best games of DBZ I've ever played. And I just defeated Raditz, I'm sightseeing non-stop, I take my time for everything. I loved walking through the grass with Gohan, riding Kinton, running around Kame House, talking to Umigame.
The fight with Raditz was the first time I've ever felt that the location looked just right, I felt like I was there, Xenoverse tried but this took me to the actual episode, well sort of, because it looks there really is no fighting on the ground. And too bad the clothes stay intact. Still this game looks beautiful and can't complain at all so far.

I got so excited with the Raditz saga which isn't my favourite saga or character like AT ALL, I'm guessing I'm losing my mind when I get to Namek. Also hope to get more slice of life stuff.
I felt the same! I was 10 hours in when I finished the Saiyan Saga. Just got to the Androids and I’m now 25 hours in! It’s really so much fun!

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:38 pm

A new free update is on the way apparently, and we now know what Trunks' time machine will be for - you can use it to go back in time to the different arcs and do any sub-quests you may have missed. Also, we're getting a new sub quest WITH ARALE.

I. Am Excite.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 pm
Koitsukai wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:57 pm Ok this has to be one of the best games of DBZ I've ever played. And I just defeated Raditz, I'm sightseeing non-stop, I take my time for everything. I loved walking through the grass with Gohan, riding Kinton, running around Kame House, talking to Umigame.

I felt the same! I was 10 hours in when I finished the Saiyan Saga. Just got to the Androids and I’m now 25 hours in! It’s really so much fun!
I know, right? I read somebody finished it in less than 20 hours... I couldn't have done that even if I raced straight to the main fights. I spent at least half an hour as Piccolo collecting blue orbs over the lake, I take my time just as Bulma's mom at everything she does.

And damn, the ki searching thing, Tenshinhan's ki prior to the saiyan's arrival scared me. I don't even want to know how Perfect Cell's will be.

Anybody knows what the deal with Beerus is? does he show up?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:55 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:20 pm
I don't think that's a question you should be asking, as none of us know anything behind the scenes. All we know is that the developers seemingly asked Toriyama questions and based on his response, they added stuff in the game. We don't know anything more than that.

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:05 pm

I have to say that I'm enjoying this game way more than I thought I would. The fighting is better than it looked in the trailers and I love seeing these cutscenes. I just finished fighting with Trunks before the Androids show up so I've got roughly 50% left of the story to get through. The main complaint that i have is that too many robots get in the way while I'm collecting Z emblems. I don't mind them being there but I'd like to see a patch that has them show up less frequently.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:36 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:55 pm
sangofe wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:20 pm
I don't think that's a question you should be asking, as none of us know anything behind the scenes. All we know is that the developers seemingly asked Toriyama questions and based on his response, they added stuff in the game. We don't know anything more than that.
Why can't I ask that question? I mean, it could have been said somewhere whether he did, or not.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:58 pm

Believe me, an information like that wouldn't be overlooked. If we knew that there is statement about Toriyama being behind all the information, we'd know it already. We know just what I said in the previous post, developers asked him questions and he responded them. What questions were asked/where we can see his involvement, we'll probably never know.

Found it. Here's what we know about behind the scenes.

~ Fall of Cybertron ~

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:13 pm

Grimlock wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:58 pm Believe me, an information like that wouldn't be overlooked. If we knew that there is statement about Toriyama being behind all the information, we'd know it already. We know just what I said in the previous post, developers asked him questions and he responded them. What questions were asked/where we can see his involvement, we'll probably never know.

Found it. Here's what we know about behind the scenes.
And here's what was said:
PSB: What was the overall process of converting a “saga” into individual RPG-like segments?

SW/RH: Aside from the main story, we also focused on how to make the gameplay between the main scenarios interesting. As I mentioned, we are all fans of Dragon Ball, so we asked Akira Toriyama questions that we have been dying to know. We adapted those answers into the game mechanics, such as Sub Stories and conversations with NPCs.