Toei Officially Acknowledges Yamamoto's Kai Rip-Offs

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Toei Officially Acknowledges Yamamoto's Kai Rip-Offs

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:31 am

Metalwario64 wrote:
Gotham22 wrote:Anyone who hasn't brought Kai yet. Please don't, you already have it.
Uh... Come again?
Kai is just a revamped of Z but it stands out has it own show as well.
By using the Z music then that part is lost of it standing out as it's own show.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:33 am

Gotham22 wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
Gotham22 wrote:Z is not as soft show like DB so soft music doesn't fit period.
That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.
what would be dumb is using old crap for a new show.
Well, I disagree that it's "crap", but I will agree with you in the sense that using old music for a newer show is a bit questionable.

If Kikuchi composed new music, that's one thing. But to use his old material, while I enjoy it, may create a contrary feeling to the intended "refreshed" feeling of Kai. So I'm quite conficted.

But at least we found some common ground.

After Chris Sabat and Sean Schemmel basically said Faulconer sucked in those videos, I doubt they'll be getting him back.
Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:34 am

Gotham22 wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
Gotham22 wrote:Anyone who hasn't brought Kai yet. Please don't, you already have it.
Uh... Come again?
Kai is just a revamped of Z but it stands out has it own show as well.
By using the Z music then that part is lost of it standing out as it's own show.
Yes, because the music is the only difference between the two series.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:36 am

penguintruth wrote:
Well, I disagree that it's "crap", but I will agree with you in the sense that using old music for a newer show is a bit questionable.

If Kikuchi composed new music, that's one thing. But to use his old material, while I enjoy it, may create a contrary feeling to the intended "refreshed" feeling of Kai. So I'm quite conficted.

But at least we found some common ground.
The crap thing was out of anger. I do like the music but don't pefer it though I would prefer to have something that is legit and fresh for Kai.

CODii wrote: Yes, because the music is the only difference between the two series.
Not only that But It ends with Cell and there is no Garlic Jr. unlike in Z.
Last edited by Gotham22 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:37 am

Gotham22 wrote:
The crap thing was out of anger. I do like the music but don't pefer it though I would prefer to have something that is legit and fresh for Kai.
What is there to be angry about?

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:42 am

CODii wrote:
Gotham22 wrote:
Using old music of Kai.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:45 am

To be honest, there are very few elements of Kikuchi's score I find to be dated at all. There are some early DB parts that really tap into that '80s synth vibe, but, for the most part, it's just orchestral, and that's always in style. It's not really period-specific. The audio quality we usually associate with DB makes it sound dated, but I think it feels completely new when listening to it on CD. It sounded perfectly natural and in-step when it was used for the JSAT, and that actually used NEW animation, which is something that Kai can't (often) say.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 5/27/24!)
Current Episode: Kuririn the Plot Device - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 4

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:46 am

Gotham22 wrote:
CODii wrote:
Gotham22 wrote:
Using old music of Kai.
Dude, if that's enough to make you angry, you need to step back and take a deep breath. That is as long as I am correct that you meant "Using old music for Kai."

Hujio
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by Hujio » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:53 am

Not to interrupt this wonderful little "argument" going on here, but I thought I'd interject with this: Yamamoto is out! Kikuchi is back!

Okay, carry on... :P
:: [| Heath "Hujio" Cutler |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| Twitter |] ::

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:55 am

I hope that changes or him creating brand new music.
Last edited by Gotham22 on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 am

Hujio wrote:Not to interrupt this wonderful little "argument" going on here, but I thought I'd interject with this: Yamamoto is out! Kikuchi is back!

Oh WOW! :shock: Everything Yamamoto?!

I'd bet episodes 96-98 have had their music switched already if this is the case.

We'll never get to hear what those episodes music was originally supposed to be...
Last edited by Chuquita on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:56 am

Hujio wrote:Not to interrupt this wonderful little "argument" going on here, but I thought I'd interject with this: Yamamoto is out! Kikuchi is back!

So that seems like confirmation then. Yamamoto is completely gone.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:57 am

Gaffer Tape wrote:To be honest, there are very few elements of Kikuchi's score I find to be dated at all. There are some early DB parts that really tap into that '80s synth vibe, but, for the most part, it's just orchestral, and that's always in style. It's not really period-specific. The audio quality we usually associate with DB makes it sound dated, but I think it feels completely new when listening to it on CD. It sounded perfectly natural and in-step when it was used for the JSAT, and that actually used NEW animation, which is something that Kai can't (often) say.
I can see maybe the use of the spurr-like sound as being an outdated element of Kikuchi's pieces. Some of the cheesy horn parts are a bit much, and especially some of the Buu-era music sound a little too like parade/carnival music, but I never said it was a perfect score, just the best one for this material (in most cases).

What I disliked about Yamamoto's pieces is that sometimes they sounded too "safe". Not "soft", mind you, but they didn't go the extra mile. Maybe that meant they were less exaggerated and garish, but on the other hand, it also meant they didn't quite paint an emotional tone as well, or did so very superficially. On the other hand, there were times that they fit rather well, so I can't deny that Yamamoto's work was fairly decent, at the very least.

I wonder how the music changes will affect Japanese home releases/American releases of the show. I, for one, want to hear the Yamamoto SSJ2 Gohan theme when I put in my Blu-Ray of whatever volume that's on. Like RazorX suggested, it could simply be a temporary fix.

This likely won't affect my purchasing, however. I'm in Kai for its improved pacing and improved English dub.
Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Can I get a Schemen?

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 am

I won't be buying Kai now. Just skip the fillers, Gralic Jr. saga and end it with Cell. There I have all of Kai already.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:01 am

penguintruth wrote: What I disliked about Yamamoto's pieces is that sometimes they sounded too "safe". Not "soft", mind you, but they didn't go the extra mile. Maybe that meant they were less exaggerated and garish, but on the other hand, it also meant they didn't quite paint an emotional tone as well, or did so very superficially. On the other hand, there were times that they fit rather well, so I can't deny that Yamamoto's work was fairly decent, at the very least.
I think that for the most part, everyone around here will agree that Yamamoto's work was at the very least decent. It's unfortunate that it seems that everything he did will be gone forever.

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:02 am

CODii wrote:
penguintruth wrote: What I disliked about Yamamoto's pieces is that sometimes they sounded too "safe". Not "soft", mind you, but they didn't go the extra mile. Maybe that meant they were less exaggerated and garish, but on the other hand, it also meant they didn't quite paint an emotional tone as well, or did so very superficially. On the other hand, there were times that they fit rather well, so I can't deny that Yamamoto's work was fairly decent, at the very least.
I think that for the most part, everyone around here will agree that Yamamoto's work was at the very least decent. It's unfortunate that it seems that everything he did will be gone forever.
Not for the people who have the DVDs/Blu-Rays and CD OSTs that already exist.

Can I get a Schemen?

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:06 am

penguintruth wrote:
CODii wrote:
Not for the people who have the DVDs/Blu-Rays and CD OSTs that already exist.
Fair enough point. I guess what I was really trying to get at is the fact that it is a shame to see a man who has been with the series for so long dumped in this fashion. It's a major black eye on his career.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:09 am

I guess I should buy the Kai volumes as I can if I want to hear Yamamoto's score in the anime.

CODii
Regular

Post by CODii » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:12 am

Gotham22 wrote:I guess I should buy the Kai volumes as I can if I want to hear Yamamoto's score in the anime.
That seems to be the case.

Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gotham22 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:18 am

I'm all worked up of what Toei will do and I don't even know what FUNimation will do.