What made GT so bad ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Re: What made GT so bad ?

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 29, 2015 8:01 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Battle of Gods has a original story to it while GT reused a lot of old ideas poorly. Not to mention Beerus is a much better villain then Super 17 and Super Yi Xing Long was in my opinion. Beerus had a cool backstory, has a good personality to him and has some depth to him. Super 17 and Super Yi Xing Long on the other hand, are boring, lame and generic. Most of the older DBZ movie villains suck in my opinion expect for Garlic Jr, Dr. Uiro, Janemba (guilty pleasure) and Hirudegarn in my opinion. Movie 8 Broli and Coola are okay, but the other DBZ movie villains to me where pretty bad and I can see why most of them are never popular with fans. Coola, Janemba and Broli get talked about the most while no one hardly talks about and cares about past movie villains like Bojack, Lord Slug and Super 13.
Ok, so in the interest of fairness, let's remove Billy and SS4 from the equation, and then compare bogfaff to GT.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:04 pm

If you remove Billy from BoG, then... nothing happens in the movie. It's just the 2008 OVA minus the action sequences...
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Fri May 29, 2015 8:08 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:If you remove Billy from BoG, then... nothing happens in the movie. It's just the 2008 OVA minus the action sequences...
Not literally remove from the events, remove his character from explanations of bogfaff's quality. So far it seems like the only thing anybody actually likes about the new stories is Billy.

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Fri May 29, 2015 8:25 pm

What's so great about Beers? He's a cat. Even GT Goten is more interesting to me than Beers is.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:43 pm

Rocketman wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:If you remove Billy from BoG, then... nothing happens in the movie. It's just the 2008 OVA minus the action sequences...
Not literally remove from the events, remove his character from explanations of bogfaff's quality. So far it seems like the only thing anybody actually likes about the new stories is Billy.
Beerus and Whis are the only positive things about BoG.

F would be exactly the same without him. I actually think someone complained that he shouldn't have been in the movie, or at least used for the same running jokes about food.

If you remove SSJ4 from GT, it's the same boring series.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 29, 2015 9:25 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:What's so great about Beers? He's a cat. Even GT Goten is more interesting to me than Beers is.
GT Goten contributes nothing. Beerus actually adds to the lore of the Dragon Ball universe. But best of all, he has no stupid gimmicks about his strength. No power up, no transformations, no ultimate forms, none of that shit. He's his own character and with his own strength. Not to mention, he's quite an entertaining differentiation for the antagonists Dragon Ball have had in the past. He actually has a reason for destroying shit.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 9:27 pm

Rocketman wrote:
The concept of God of Destruction, 12 universes and other Gods (and Whis training him/them while being stronger than Gods themselves) is all interesting. The problem is it went nowhere in the sequel as most expected and hoped. We get a pointless Freeza's return for the sake of training lesson for Goku & Vegeta. While not a horrible concept, I don't think we need an entire movie dedicated to that.

Lets hope they're saving 12 universes and the entire expansion of Gods of Destruction concept for Super. If we get yet another Dynasty reunion special tho, this time stretched on 52 episodes GT will look positively brilliant in comparsion...
Lord Beerus wrote:
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:What's so great about Beers? He's a cat. Even GT Goten is more interesting to me than Beers is.
GT Goten contributes nothing. Beerus actually adds to the lore of the Dragon Ball universe.
So far this addition to the lore didn't amount to anything tho. No exploration of 11 other universes, no consequence of 11 other Gods of Destruction. Instead... we had Freeza return. :wtf:

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Fri May 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
GT Goten contributes nothing. Beerus actually adds to the lore of the Dragon Ball universe. But best of all, he has no stupid gimmicks about his strength. No power up, no transformations, no ultimate forms, none of that shit. He's his own character and with his own strength. Not to mention, he's quite an entertaining differentiation for the antagonists Dragon Ball have had in the past. He actually has a reason for destroying shit.
Beers was supposed to be the main villain, but instead he just acts like a spoiled child, who throws a tantrum over pudding. He loses any dignity and just becomes a stupid cat/rabbit thing. He brings no new abilities to the table, and he's just randomly uber powerful for no reason.

GT Goten is actually bearable to watch for more than 5 minutes.
Last edited by SSJ2FutureGohan on Fri May 29, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:GT Goten is actually bearable to watch for more than 5 minutes.
Not with that haircut :?

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Fri May 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Basaku wrote:
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:GT Goten is actually bearable to watch for more than 5 minutes.
Better than his End of Z look.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 9:43 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:
Basaku wrote:
Better than his End of Z look.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

*paging TheGmGoken*

You. Did. Not. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri May 29, 2015 9:44 pm

If you hate Beerus for acting childlike, how did you deal with so many episodes with Fat Buu?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Fri May 29, 2015 9:46 pm

Er, yeah.. I did. Shaggy hair does not look good on Goten.
Yeah, not feeling it at all.
This however fits Goten
Polyphase Avatron wrote:If you hate Beerus for acting childlike, how did you deal with so many episodes with Fat Buu?
You say that as if I like Buu.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 29, 2015 9:55 pm

Basaku wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
GT Goten contributes nothing. Beerus actually adds to the lore of the Dragon Ball universe.
So far this addition to the lore didn't amount to anything tho. No exploration of 11 other universes, no consequence of 11 other Gods of Destruction. Instead... we had Freeza return. :wtf:
There's still time to explore that. But the thing is, Beerus opened the floodgate for all kinds of shit to be explored in Dragon Ball. Did anyone think the concept of 11 other universes or God's Of Destruction would have existed prior to Beerus?
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Fri May 29, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri May 29, 2015 9:58 pm

With Dragon Ball Super around the corner it's definitely happening.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 10:05 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: There's still time to explore that. But the thing is, Beerus opened the floodgate for all kinds of shit to be explored in Dragon Ball. Did anyone think the concept of 11 other universes or God's Of Destruction would have existed prior to Beerus?
Of course there's still time but at this moment, Beerus doesn't add much really other than his cool character/design. Hard to discuss a character's impact on what could potentially-no-guarantee happen.
SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Er, yeah.. I did. Shaggy hair does not look good on Goten.
We will just have to agree to disagree on that one although EOZ Goten is widely considered way better and much beloved compared to GT design. Plus, GT Goten is too similar to Gohan/Vegeta's hair, it all blends together and I'm shocked Toriyama is responsible for those designes since he clearly understand in EOZ example that 2 (or 3) characters should not look too much alike.

And really, how can you not SEE the perfection here?

Image Image Image

SSJ2FutureGohan
I Live Here

Post by SSJ2FutureGohan » Fri May 29, 2015 10:14 pm

Widely accepted? By who? You and the GmGoken? Who's everyone that hates on GT Goten's design?

Basaku

Post by Basaku » Fri May 29, 2015 10:21 pm

SSJ2FutureGohan wrote:Widely accepted? By who? You and the GmGoken? Who's everyone that hates on GT Goten's design?
Seems rather obvious when 90% of adult Goten fanart features EOZ hair and its variations. :think:

TJVY
Beyond Newbie

Post by TJVY » Fri May 29, 2015 11:17 pm

I like GT Goten's design too.
"It's not anime that sucks, it's the fans."

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri May 29, 2015 11:44 pm

I think GT Goten's hair style is much better than EOZ Goten's shaggy hair. It's unique, it's distinct, and I think it genuinely looks good. But it varies from shot to shot, giving GT's varying animation quality. Sometimes it does look quite bad, but I really like it when it's drawn well.

EOZ Goten's hairtstyle is just kind of boring. Looks okay in some shots, but I don't care for it at all.
I honestly can't see why people dislike GT but praise the new movies. They're doing the same things.
That's why I take the simple road of disliking both. 8) So much talk about BoG/RF vs GT... both are the same to me.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!