DBKai: Freeza Saga and The Five Minute Mark

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Kendamu wrote:
B wrote:How many chapters is the fight in the manga? I mean, after they fly off from the ship to start fighting. If the 2 1/2 to 3 chapters per episode thing continues, how many episodes /should/ it be?
Eight chapters passed from when the five minutes was announced until Freeza was "killed" by Goku. The first chapter being the one where he actually announces the five minutes.
So at the most we're looking at four episodes...? Hmmm....

I'm not sure it'll take that long, but who knows...
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Kai_fan
Not-So-Newbie

Re: DBKai: Freeza Saga and The Five Minute Mark

Post by Kai_fan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:55 pm

Wasted Wisher wrote:So, first things first: Kuririn has Yajiorbe's sword on Vegeta by Kai Episode 17.
Me, a couple weeks ago wrote:1-16 (16) Saiyans (April 5 - July 19)
17-45 (29) Freeza (July 26 2009 - February 7 2010)
46-75 (30) Androids/Cell (February 14 - September 5)
76-108 (33) Boo (September 12 - April 24 2011)
108 total
Only off by one so far!

In fact, at this point I'd be confident enough to take bets that none of my cutoff numbers will be off by more than five, and the total will be within ten.

Can't wait to see the Freeza saga.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:38 am

Why would Freeza even know that it would take five minutes to blow up *anyway*? He's not some kind of planet blower-upper calculator or anything.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:40 am

Dogasu wrote:Why would Freeza even know that it would take five minutes to blow up *anyway*? He's not some kind of planet blower-upper calculator or anything.
:lol:

That's the funniest and most truthful thing I've seen concerning this issue.

Super Ghost Kamikaze
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:22 am

Dogasu wrote:Why would Freeza even know that it would take five minutes to blow up *anyway*? He's not some kind of planet blower-upper calculator or anything.
I'm sure he's blown up enough planets to be an expert on the matter.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:11 am

Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I'm sure he's blown up enough planets to be an expert on the matter.
What does he do, destroy their core and then just stand there looking at his wristwatch or something?
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:05 am

Herms wrote:
Super Ghost Kamikaze wrote:I'm sure he's blown up enough planets to be an expert on the matter.
What does he do, destroy their core and then just stand there looking at his wristwatch or something?
Well, when you're gonna destroy a planet and you need to get away from it within a certain amount of time, it's nice to know how long you have to finish your business and leave. Also, considering that King Cold didn't even bat an eye when Freeza was like, "Fuck this. I'm blowing up Earth, Papa," it seems like something he might've gained some insight on from his family.

All speculation, of course.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Super Ghost Kamikaze

Post by Super Ghost Kamikaze » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:05 pm

Kendamu wrote:
Herms wrote:
Well, when you're gonna destroy a planet and you need to get away from it within a certain amount of time, it's nice to know how long you have to finish your business and leave. Also, considering that King Cold didn't even bat an eye when Freeza was like, "Fuck this. I'm blowing up Earth, Papa," it seems like something he might've gained some insight on from his family.
Wasn't the idea that Freeza could survive just fine in space after the planet blew up? I was under the assumption that the actual explosion wasn't going to be enough to kill either of them, and that freely floating in the vacuum of space was just something that Freeza could do slightly better than Goku(in that he could actually survive it). In fact, isn't this corroborated by the fact that cyborg Freeza shows up on Earth after "dying" on an exploding Namek?

My thoughts was that, in evil villain fashion, he'd blown up so many planets that the excitement of it was dropping, so he worked on getting it down to a nice, even and concise number for the planet explosion. Or he needed to test it out to see how quickly his men should get on spaceships and leave. Or yeah, he sat there looking at his wristwatch just to see how long it would take. Aristocratic boredom with the hum-drum normality of planetary explosions. Because he's evil like that.

...Or, you know, Toriyama just had the characters say what he intended the technique to do. His audience of Japanese schoolchildren probably doesn't really require an unreliable narrator to talk circles around them.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:32 am

As far as the Kai progressed, I think that the explosion will be quick, don't worry guys 8)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

MaJamie

Post by MaJamie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:52 pm

How does he even know how long a minute is? This assumes that minutes on Namek or in space are somehow identical to minutes on earth. It bothers me when units of time measurement are used in space considering they are dependent on intervals between a sequence of events, and these would vary depending on where one is in space.

So theoretically five space minutes could just be a really really long.

Or Freeza just pulled that number out of his ass to sound cool.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:11 pm

MaJamie wrote:How does he even know how long a minute is? This assumes that minutes on Namek or in space are somehow identical to minutes on earth.
It seems that they use a common unit of time measurement in Dragonball for simplicity's sake, no matter where they are in the universe. I highly doubt that Raditz researched time measurements on Earth before telling everyone that his buddies were going to arrive in one year. It's just one of those things Toriyama-sensei didn't want to bother with. "Namek is going to blow up in 27 slimeys, which, using the conversion rate of 5.4 slimeys per minute, is 5 Earth minutes!"
Or Freeza just pulled that number out of his ass to sound cool.
Yeah, that's more along the lines of Toriyama-sensei's thought process :D
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:32 am

sailorspazz wrote:It seems that they use a common unit of time measurement in Dragonball for simplicity's sake, no matter where they are in the universe. I highly doubt that Raditz researched time measurements on Earth before telling everyone that his buddies were going to arrive in one year. It's just one of those things Toriyama-sensei didn't want to bother with. "Namek is going to blow up in 27 slimeys, which, using the conversion rate of 5.4 slimeys per minute, is 5 Earth minutes!"
I remember Viz tried to insert that sort of thing by having Raditz say that Vegeta and Nappa would reach Earth by "in your terms...one year", rather than simply one year.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

snaku
Regular

Post by snaku » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:44 pm

I don't see why they can't just slightly alter the line to make it vague but still maintain the sense of impending doom. Freeza doesn't have to throw a number out.

fps_anth
Advanced Regular

Post by fps_anth » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:37 pm

I'm hoping they just take the line out completely. Maybe he'll say something along the lines of "It won't be long until this planet is completely gone".

Either way, the amount of crap they're going to cut out is going to be amazing, and I'm really looking forward to it. Hell, we're on Namek meeting Freeza next episode!

Amigo Ten

Post by Amigo Ten » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:39 pm

I'd bet they got for option 3. I would. Even in the manga the fight seems to go longer than 5 minutes.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:23 pm

I think #2 is the best option... If Freeza said nothing about the exact time like fps_anth said, they can fight without making the viewers confused.

Out of curiosity, how many episodes did it take to be "five minutes" (from announcing it till the explosion)?
My Dragon Ball Story (500th post)
My Anime List
My Manga List
Big Momma wrote:This is Daizex. There's gonna be complaints and groaning no matter what. ;)
Anime Insider magazine wrote:If police officers in the future dress like prostitutes, then what do prostitutes in the future wear?

obiwan23s
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by obiwan23s » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:07 am

If Namek really did explode five minutes after Freeza said that, then it just adds to Son's legacy. He was given five minutes to take down the strongest person in the universe and not only won but was able to escape alive.

But yeah, five minutes my ass.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:51 am

JulieYBM wrote:
Kendamu wrote:
B wrote:How many chapters is the fight in the manga? I mean, after they fly off from the ship to start fighting. If the 2 1/2 to 3 chapters per episode thing continues, how many episodes /should/ it be?
Eight chapters passed from when the five minutes was announced until Freeza was "killed" by Goku. The first chapter being the one where he actually announces the five minutes.
So at the most we're looking at four episodes...? Hmmm....

I'm not sure it'll take that long, but who knows...
At most. However, during the heavy-fighting portions of the Saiyan arc they adapted 4 or 5 chapters per episode. So, I'm thinking we're gonna see the "five minutes" go by in two episodes!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:25 am

sailorspazz wrote: "Namek is going to blow up in 27 slimeys, which, using the conversion rate of 5.4 slimeys per minute, is 5 Earth minutes!"
I don't have much to say, other than that made me chuckle.

Heh..slimeys

I'm now seriously tempted to use it in everyday life as a replacement for minutes.

worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter

Post by worldmonsters » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 am

You'd almost think that number of slimeys are equivelant to Z-episodes and minutes more close to Kai-episodes :D