I'm charting each character's position throughout the series

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:10 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:109? I counted 102... 103 if you count Piccolo. I want a direct source for 109.
First, I should have said 110, not 109 (I forgot to count the Great Elder). Anyway, you’re probably misreading Daizenshuu 4’s chart, like I originally did. It’s kinda confusing. See, the named individuals aren’t counted as part of the Dragon Clan and Warrior-type Namekians in each village, and neither are the nameless elders. So in other words, when it shows Muri’s village as containing Muri, 5 Dragon Clan Namekians, 3 Warrior-types, Dende, and Cargo, it means that the total population is actually 10: Dende+Cargo+5 DCs+3 WTs. How do I know that’s how it’s meant to be read? Well, when you count it all up this way, you get a grand total of 110: the Great Elder and 109 children. This references the fact that in the manga, Dende says that he is the Great Elder’s 108th child, and Cargo is his younger brother. So from the manga you know that there are at least 110 Namekians: the Great Elder, his first 107 children, Dende, and Cargo. Daizenshuu 4 essentially just says that there are exactly that many, making Cargo the youngest Namekian.

Here are the population numbers from Daizenshuu 4’s Namekian chart, worded to try and avoid confusion:

Great Elder
Nail
Muri, Tsuno, and the 4 other regular elders: 6
Muri’s village (not counting Muri): 10 (Dende, Cargo, 5 other DCs, 3 WTs)
Tsuno’s village (not counting Tsuno): 19 (16 DCs, 3 WTs)
Nameless village #1, minus elder: 17 (15 DCs, 2 WTs)
Nameless village #2, minus elder: 20 (18 DCs, 2 WTs)
Nameless village #3, minus elder: 21 (19 DCs, 2 WTs)
Nameless village #4, minus elder: 15 (13 DCs, 2 WTs)
Last edited by Herms on Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:31 pm

total population is actually 10: Muri+Dende+Cargo+5 DCs+3 WTs
Please be consistent with your math. That adds up to 11.

I'm looking at the episode/manga right now where Frieza attacks Moori's village.

I see Moori, Dende, Kargo, and two unamed Dragon Clan Namekians, which adds up to 5. Adds up correctly, but you are saying there is 3 other Dragon Clan Namekians that aren't shown which adds it up to 5 and Moori,Dende, and Cargo aren't included.

So which way is it? The elders, Dende, and/or Cargo are included into the Dragon Clan count or there are 3 unshown Dragon Clan Namekian of Moori's village?

If there are 3 unshown Dragon Clan Namekians where were they?

Herms

Post by Herms » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:20 pm

Khalid Shahin wrote:Please be consistent with your math. That adds up to 11.
Whoops, Muri wasn't supposed to be in there. Sorry about that.
Beats me, but if there aren't, then that leaves only 107 Namekians, and Dende can't exist.

Khalid Shahin
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Khalid Shahin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:30 pm

Herms wrote:
Khalid Shahin wrote:Please be consistent with your math. That adds up to 11.
Whoops, Muri wasn't supposed to be in there. Sorry about that.
Beats me, but if there aren't, then that leaves only 107 Namekians, and Dende can't exist.
That could mean one of two thngs if it went in that direction. The great elder gave birth to other Namekians before the storm, or gave birth after but some died. Or there was a mess up somewhere in the numbers/108th child.

But the other direction is what you say with three Dragon Clan members not shown for some odd reason, but they have to be killed at a point since Freeza goes looking for life and only could find Dende, Nail, and the Great Elder. So that is also a mess.

Either way if it is offscreen/unheard of it shouldn't affect my chart, since I won't be giving exact numbers just a visual representation of each village dying and different sizes of each village would be visually shown of each.

Herms

Post by Herms » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:04 am

OK, so I checked out the chapter with Freeza and co. in Muri's village, and Freeza asks Muri where the others were, saying that from what they heard there should be 10 people in the village. Muri says that the rest are out working in the fields or whatever, but only those 3 guys come back, and like you said only 5 are only shown in the village with Freeza, making a total of only 8. It's quite likely that Toriyama just slipped up, but for an in-universe explanation you could say that the other ones just didn't return to the village, perhaps because they weren't Warrior Types and so wouldn't have been too much help. Of course, I said there should be 10 people in Muri's village without counting Muri himself, so while this "10 people" line from the manga supports my idea that the Daizenshuu 4 chart intended Dende and Cargo to be seperate from the 5 nameless Dragon Tribe Namekians, it contradicts my idea that Muri himself was also meant to be seperate from those 5.

Well, that's enough on that chart from me. It's really getting me confused.