Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.
User avatar
The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Of course the Boo arc won't be in Kai, why would they include part of GT, oh wait, it's not in GT, it's the canon ending to Dragon Ball/Z, the only logical answer for it not being included is Toei destroyed all evidence that the Boo arc existed, possibly with the use of time travel.

Ask dumb questions get dumb answers like that.

User avatar
ohaimynameiserik
Regular
Posts: 658
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:08 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by ohaimynameiserik » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Asking if the Boo arc will be included in Kai is not a dumb question.

It's not necessarily going to end where the manga did... after all, it didn't start at the beginning.

User avatar
The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 3456
Joined: Sun May 13, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: UK

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by The Time Traveller » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:10 pm

ohaimynameiserik wrote:Asking if the Boo arc will be included in Kai is not a dumb question.

It's not necessarily going to end where the manga did... after all, it didn't start at the beginning.
It's covering Z only though, why would the Boo arc be left out?

User avatar
TripleRach
Moderator
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by TripleRach » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:45 pm

The Time Traveller wrote:It's covering Z only though, why would the Boo arc be left out?
Because they spent the entire budget on idols and dumb gimmicks.

But IIRC, the DVDs currently estimate the series will be about 150 episodes, and it's certainly not going to take 78 episodes to get through the rest of the Cell arc.
-Rachel

User avatar
JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 18958
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:25 pm
Location: 🏳️‍⚧️🍉

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:11 pm

TripleRach wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:But IIRC, the DVDs currently estimate the series will be about 150 episodes, and it's certainly not going to take 78 episodes to get through the rest of the Cell arc.
Eh? Is this based on Happinet's site or something?
💙💜💖 She/Her 💙💜💖
6–4, 3–6, 6–1, 3–6, 6–3

User avatar
TripleRach
Moderator
Posts: 2656
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: Ohio, USA
Contact:

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by TripleRach » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:46 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
TripleRach wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:But IIRC, the DVDs currently estimate the series will be about 150 episodes, and it's certainly not going to take 78 episodes to get through the rest of the Cell arc.
Eh? Is this based on Happinet's site or something?
The "IIRC" was because I was going off memory. I swear I remember someone like Hujio posting here a couple months ago that Happinet or Toei had the 150 estimate on their site. But I can't seem to find anything like that now. Maybe I just imagined the whole thing.
-Rachel

User avatar
PuppetDoctor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 486
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by PuppetDoctor » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:58 pm

TripleRach wrote: The "IIRC" was because I was going off memory. I swear I remember someone like Hujio posting here a couple months ago that Happinet or Toei had the 150 estimate on their site. But I can't seem to find anything like that now. Maybe I just imagined the whole thing.
It was posted on the front page of Daizenshuu EX in the news so you weren't imaging the whole thing.

User avatar
MR.Mark
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...
Posts: 1722
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:11 am

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by MR.Mark » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:06 am

TripleRach wrote:
The Time Traveller wrote:It's covering Z only though, why would the Boo arc be left out?
Because they spent the entire budget on idols and dumb gimmicks.
They need to release another album, this time with Vegeta singing about how to bake banana bread, that'll help Kai.

User avatar
Gotham22
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 410
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by Gotham22 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:22 am

MR.Mark wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Did anybody actually think it would stop with Cell?
Some thought it would end with Freeza, I don't get it either.
I believe that is an old Z rumor of the series ending with Freeza.

User avatar
worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:33 am
Contact:

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by worldmonsters » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:28 am

Okay everyone who is now denouncing the question of will Kai cover Majin Buu and say that "Of course it will, are you stupid?" please start listening to the podcast. Mike clearly said in one of them that after talking with the Japanese voice actor of Supreme Kai that Kai isn't making a shit load of money and that they maybe couldn't even afford that particular voice actor. That in itself says enough that at a certain point (and possibly still now) Kai covering Majin Buu is NOT a given.

Also because of reasons already given in this thread I don't think that this calendar is proof that it will continue to Majin Buu. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5407
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 pm

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:32 am

Wasn't Kai confirmed to be lasting for 150 episodes? I think that's long enough to cover the Boo arc.

User avatar
ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN
Posts: 784
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:54 pm
Location: United States

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by ThunderPX » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:28 am

worldmonsters wrote:Okay everyone who is now denouncing the question of will Kai cover Majin Buu and say that "Of course it will, are you stupid?" please start listening to the podcast. Mike clearly said in one of them that after talking with the Japanese voice actor of Supreme Kai that Kai isn't making a shit load of money and that they maybe couldn't even afford that particular voice actor. That in itself says enough that at a certain point (and possibly still now) Kai covering Majin Buu is NOT a given.
No, all it means is there's a clear cut reason so many voice actors were replaced.
I'm Rosie (she/her 🏳️‍⚧️). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:
I collect and play video games and I'm a VTuber!
Also check out my Super Saiya Densetsu remake project!

User avatar
Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 7000
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am
Location: The Martial Arts World

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by Kendamu » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:37 am

Between a combination of our money (from it being so popular on US TV and from the US home releases) and stunt-casting, they can likely churn out a 40-something episode Boo arc without going into the red.

If they pulled the plug after Gohan beat Cell, I wouldn't really be all that disappointed, but I would really like Toei to see Kai through to the end and, at this point, I'm trusting that they will.

User avatar
Rocketman
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10799
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by Rocketman » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:22 am

Oh gods, I hope the Buu arc gets in. Ending Kai with Gohan's shitty powerup/'heroism' would be the worst blueballing ever.

User avatar
worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:33 am
Contact:

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:34 am

ThunderPX wrote:
worldmonsters wrote:Okay everyone who is now denouncing the question of will Kai cover Majin Buu and say that "Of course it will, are you stupid?" please start listening to the podcast. Mike clearly said in one of them that after talking with the Japanese voice actor of Supreme Kai that Kai isn't making a shit load of money and that they maybe couldn't even afford that particular voice actor. That in itself says enough that at a certain point (and possibly still now) Kai covering Majin Buu is NOT a given.
No, all it means is there's a clear cut reason so many voice actors were replaced.
Yes of course, that is completely all. Of course that in no way whatsoever means that they'd have to make voice actor replacements which would probably make people tune out which in turn would lead to less profits which in turn could lead to cancellation. Yeah, I totally see why that's unrelated.

Please don't dismiss my argument in such a throwaway fashion.

User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
Posts: 3480
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:29 am

Kendamu wrote:Between a combination of our money (from it being so popular on US TV and from the US home releases) and stunt-casting, they can likely churn out a 40-something episode Boo arc without going into the red.

If they pulled the plug after Gohan beat Cell, I wouldn't really be all that disappointed, but I would really like Toei to see Kai through to the end and, at this point, I'm trusting that they will.
I don't think Kai is a financial gamble anyway. Even if it doesn't rake in a bunch of money. Even if someone important claims Kai isn't making enough money.

Think about it this way, they probably have a budget sanctioned to each show. Kai probably has a significantly lower budget than something like One Piece, because it's just a remastered, recut version of a show that has already had all the hard work finished. So when somebody says that they can't afford this or that voice actor, it may not be because Kai is not profitable, or that Kai is dangerously close to being canceled. It probably has more to do with the fact that those in charge of the budget are in fact wasting it all on idols and stupid gimicks.

That makes sense to me, anyway.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5011
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:09 pm

There are two reasons why people are unsure if the Boo arc will be included in Kai.

1) When Dragon Ball Kai was first revealed, there was some sort of hype built around it cutting down so much filler that it would amount to roughly 100 episodes. However, I don't really remember seeing this anywhere. Also at the time, when people started wondering about the ending of the series (before Kai even came out), I remember believing that they might have meant that they cut OUT 100 episodes of filler. I don't know, that's just speculating on my part.

2) Akira Toriyama intended the series to end at the Freeza arc, but demand from fans and the studio caused him to venture off into the Cell arc and then finally into the Boo arc. Many people believe that since Akira Toriyama intended to stop the series well before the Boo arc, that it would be left out.

I personally never doubted that Boo would appear in Kai though.

User avatar
worldmonsters
Patreon Supporter
Posts: 480
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:33 am
Contact:

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by worldmonsters » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:28 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:There are two reasons why people are unsure if the Boo arc will be included in Kai.

1) When Dragon Ball Kai was first revealed, there was some sort of hype built around it cutting down so much filler that it would amount to roughly 100 episodes. However, I don't really remember seeing this anywhere. Also at the time, when people started wondering about the ending of the series (before Kai even came out), I remember believing that they might have meant that they cut OUT 100 episodes of filler. I don't know, that's just speculating on my part.

2) Akira Toriyama intended the series to end at the Freeza arc, but demand from fans and the studio caused him to venture off into the Cell arc and then finally into the Boo arc. Many people believe that since Akira Toriyama intended to stop the series well before the Boo arc, that it would be left out.

I personally never doubted that Boo would appear in Kai though.
Your second point has no grounding because there is NO evidence that Akira Toriyama had intended to end the series at the Freeza arc. NONE. And this has been debated a lot, also on the podcast this has been addressed quite a few times.

Your first point has also been discussed, the 100 episode mark thing has been overthrown some time ago.

As far as I know the only thing that stands in the way of the Boo arc is whether or not they can afford it financially.

User avatar
Innagadadavida
I Live Here
Posts: 3480
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am
Location: Arkansas, USA

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by Innagadadavida » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:37 pm

worldmonsters wrote:Your first point has also been discussed, the 100 episode mark thing has been overthrown some time ago.

As far as I know the only thing that stands in the way of the Boo arc is whether or not they can afford it financially.
There was also a time where people believed that the series was only going to cover 50 episodes. Which proves that people will believe anything.

And, yes, they can afford it financially. I will eat the hat I am wearing if they can't.

User avatar
TheGreatness25
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5011
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Buu Saga Confirmed for Dragonball Kai?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:56 pm

worldmonsters wrote:
Your second point has no grounding because there is NO evidence that Akira Toriyama had intended to end the series at the Freeza arc. NONE. And this has been debated a lot, also on the podcast this has been addressed quite a few times.
You may be correct about my second point having no grounding by itself, but if it has been debated a lot, and it had to be addressed a few times, that means there are people out there (in large numbers) who believe it, and that would lead to this being a reason why they may not believe the Boo saga would be covered. Correct?

Post Reply