Are you tired of the same story in every DBZ game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: Are you tired of the same story on every dbz game?

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:27 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote: Beet in Dragon Ball Heroes literally plays a video game (though it still takes place in the Dragon World), so anything is possible there. In Hero Mode in Ultimate Blast, however, the fights take place in the real world.
I know that, but he's still too overpowered in the animation trailers regardless. If they want it to make sense, they should have introduced some new forms to him, and currently Beat should be up to SSJ4. The trailers still don't make sense, with Goku having to turn into stronger levels to take on somebody that a certain SSJ boy can.

It won't be fun looking at Gogeta SSJ4 and Beat (As equals) team up against Omega Shenron. Ironically, the only villain to create hell for the Heroes main cast was Broly. I don't know why, but he seems more overpowered than anybody else, when it comes to DBH.

Regardless, in both Heroes and UT the power levels are messed up in my opinion :/
Last edited by Xeogran on Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:29 pm

The trailers also take place in the video game world, since we see Beet "getting inside the game".
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:30 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:The trailers also take place in the video game world, since we see Beet "getting inside the game".
I know that too, but isn't "that world" a normal Dragon Ball world? I mean he's not controlling himself through an arcade machine or anything. He has to train off-screen like Goku and other characters in that world. So why is his power so absurdal compared to the rest?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:32 pm

I don't think so, I think he just plays the game like he does in the manga.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:42 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I don't think so, I think he just plays the game like he does in the manga.
Actually, i would argue with it. In the very first trailer, we saw the boy was confused with his new appearance and skills, like he actually transported inside of the machine, which replicates normal Dragon Ball World until a certain period of time.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:54 pm

Nightstar1994 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I don't think so, I think he just plays the game like he does in the manga.
Actually, i would argue with it. In the very first trailer, we saw the boy was confused with his new appearance and skills, like he actually transported inside of the machine, which replicates normal Dragon Ball World until a certain period of time.
Well... don't take them too literally. If the manga was an anime, you could take them as openings of that anime.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:32 pm

Nightstar1994 wrote:Actually, i would argue with it. In the very first trailer, we saw the boy was confused with his new appearance and skills, like he actually transported inside of the machine, which replicates normal Dragon Ball World until a certain period of time.
The players get sucked into the arcade machine and actually seem to exist within it. They are not actually in the Dragon World though, it is a simulation. The commercials take some creative liberties and just have he characters fight, but the intention is still the same as Victory Mission, where even inside the machine, they are still playing the card game itself. That's why some of the full commercials, such as Hildgarn and SS3 Broli, have parts of arcade game woven between the animation to further elaborate on the "story".
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:46 pm

I'm impressed that you seem to know so much about Dragon Ball Heroes, even with not much known information. I struggled to figure out what was going on with the game.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:50 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:I'm impressed that you seem to know so much about Dragon Ball Heroes, even with not much known information about the game. On top of that, the information about DBH is in Japanese.
Maybe he went to Japan and playyed it. =/.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Did he? I guess that would explain it, then.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:28 pm

He hasn't. He just did his homework.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:31 pm

Yeeeeah. No, I couldn't afford to do that even if I wanted. =P

I just follow the game's updates way too closely, using information I gather from the Kanzenshuu news posts and chapter updates for the game itself or Victory Mission, tidbits from various other translators and personal observations from more gameplay videos than I probably ever should have watched (all in an attempt to look at details on the game models that are never revealed in the card art or other promotional pieces for the What-ifs or avatars).
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:13 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Did he? I guess that would explain it, then.
Aren't you deaf? But now you're constantly going on about hearing, listening and imitating voices in threads. DBZ MICK point that out for me. Unless you had a temporarily deaf.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Mon May 19, 2014 12:35 pm

I'm gonna have to bump this thread.

As for me, of course I'm tired, and I hope that the new PS4 game will somewhat make an original story. It doesn't have to be "good" for it to be accepted. It can be like the Shin Budokai series for all I care. It's 20-freaking-14 and these 'fans' are still wanting for a faithful story mode of the same shit, after all the attempts Namco and Spike did? From not having a story mode in RB2 to having an ALMOST perfect story mode in Ultimate Tenkaichi to not even seeing most of the cutscenes and lines the characters say in Battle of Z? If NB is gonna do a original story for the new one, then I suggest that we all accept it and not worry about how bad it's gonna be.

If you want a story, GO WATCH THE FREAKING ANIME! Seriously. Does anybody really give a shit about the major fights being 'messed up' in the games anymore?
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon May 19, 2014 2:08 pm

I'm not ever gonna be tired until they do a Budokai 1 style Story Mode for everything that happens in the Z-verse.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon May 19, 2014 3:08 pm

EXBadguy wrote:If you want a story, GO WATCH THE FREAKING ANIME!
What a flawed claim... Games have story to give context to what you're playing. And a good story mode can be entertaining.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Mon May 19, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm not tired of the story

I'm tired of them doing the story badly. Budokai 1 is the only game to do the story any real justice.

Maybe if Burst Limit had in-between fight cutscenes too instead of purely in battle ones it would have been better. They probably wanted to as I doubt they'd make Gero's Lab, Time Machine, Cell's Shell, Oozaru Vegeta and Yajirobe for just a bonus movie/credits picture

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 pm

Yes. I'm tired of them trying to create half a fighter and half an anime simulator too. They turn out like absolute shit every time.

You are making a game about a fighting anime, make a damn fighting game worth playing. Budokai 3 is a solid fighting game and is hailed as one of the best of all the DB games. Burst Limit was a decent effort at creating a fighting game while it making it anime appropriate but they fell short on playstyle variety.

It just baffles me that Hyper DBZ, a fan-made title, is the first Dragon Ball game in years to understand what it takes to actually be good.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Mon May 19, 2014 4:27 pm

No more text, NO MORE GOSH DAMNED TEXT!

Stop making this worse than ZELDA, they should do what they did in Ultimate Blast Alternate Story, announce the title, and pan the camera to the characters and let them tell it.

Reading walls and walls of text to know what's going on is horseshit.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon May 19, 2014 4:40 pm

EXBadguy wrote:Does anybody really give a shit about the major fights being 'messed up' in the games anymore?
Yes I give a shit. Because if they intend to recreate the story then by all means fucking do it right. They've always did it half-assed.
Either way, if it's based on the series' story then recreate it authentically like Budokai 1 or spare us the ordeal and do an original story that doesn't suck ass if you can't pull off the former.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme