Are you tired of the same story in every DBZ game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Are you tired of the same story in every DBZ game?

Post by TheGmGoken » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:56 pm

There's not enough DB games to say the same and DBGT is...always being randomly placed into the game to say/ But the DBz portion of the game series is getting old with the same story. I love the What ifs. I would't mind a what if Game similar to NAruto Clash of Ninja revolution 2. Or a completely original re-telling. This is why I like RB2 because it's Arcade mode. It's just for fun. Should DBZ games get more what ifs?

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Re: Are you tired of the same story on every dbz game?

Post by InfernalVegito » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:16 am

Yes. It's tiring as fuck to always just play from Radditz to Boo.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:21 am

I'm tired of reading about the games being so limited, that's for sure! Add in more Dragon Ball GT!
She/Her
🍉🏳️‍⚧️

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:55 am

It would be kind of cool if we got more original characters like Towa, Kurilien, Hatchihyakku, and Ozotto from video game stories. I think I would prefer something like that over what-ifs and retelling which are almost always boring when it comes to DB. I could definitely do without any type of story mode as long as the gameplay holds up but I think a game like Raging Blast 2 needs it. Those types of games aren't really that fun and I imagine most people that like these Z simulators want to simulate the entire series(or just Z and GT).

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:10 am

It does not bother me if there is more fights to choose from. A story mode makes the game more fun then the boring galaxy mode that RB2 had.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 am

I pretty much am indeed bored of the same thing over and over. However, the what, two times they tried something different (Shin Budokai 2, Raging Blast 2) ended up being less than optimal.

Makes me wish we'd actually gotten the rumored plot to Sparking! Meteor (Goku and co. battling against a group of aliens that hitched a ride in/on a meteor).
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:08 am

The second Sparking game would add fights that never happen like Goku vs. Radditz on King Kai's planet and Gohan vs Cell & Freeza during Fusion Reborn. Something like would be nice. I do think a original story could be cool to see.
She/Her

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:38 am

So fucking much. I can't stand another game covering the same story from Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, or Dragon Ball GT. It's so fucking annoying at this point. Give me what-if stories like in the Sparking! series, the Supersonic Warriors series, or the Shin Budokai series, along with a Hero Mode story like in Ultimate Blast.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:03 am

Well I pretty much wold love a new storyline or a game that took place during Dragonball, there isn't much "From Bardock until 23rd Budokai games" for the Xbox 360 or PS3 at all.

I would like either that or a new story.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:34 am

It's not even the fact that they keep doing that story... it's the fact that it's HALF-ASSED all the time. Missing major plot points, going from one fight to the next, WITH NO EXPLANATIONS. I wish they would take a page for the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm developers. Also, Budokai 1 still has the best animated cutscenes to date. You would expect the newer games like Ultimate Tenkaichi to not have character models sliding to turn around... or those lame ass mouth animations....I could go on... :problem:
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

mysticboy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mysticboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:26 am

The way I see it, if they're sticking the same story, at least work on the presentation of it, and put some extra what-ifs. But I'd love a story centered around your created character (UT tried this, but it was horrible). If your character is good, they'd train under the Z fighters, if your character is bad, they'd train under Freeza's army. As you progress through your respective stories, you can gain XP and learn certain attacks through mini games (spirit ball, kienzan, spirit bomb etc.).

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:00 am

InfernalVegito wrote:Yes. It's tiring as fuck to always just play from Radditz to Boo.
The problem is, they are still skipping the Buu Saga even in current-gen consoles (Burst Limit) -__-. If we had a proper Buu with awesome story it would actually be fun. What was the last game that had Goku turn SSJ3 against Fat Buu in style cutscene? Buu's Fury, i think.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:23 pm

I don't mind playing the stories again and again, myself, but I would like to get a game that's finally MORE than that. Ultimate Tenkaichi apparently tried that, with the created character thing, but I'd want something done a little better than that was.

On the 'same story' thing again though, I wish they'd do one that's either JUST the important stuff, or fully fleshed out with all the fights you could ever want/need, instead of the middle ground all the time.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:18 pm

They could give every character their own story mode similar to Budokai 3. Budokai 3 was going to have a story mode for every character but Dimps didn't have time to finish it.
She/Her

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:They could give every character their own story mode similar to Budokai 3. Budokai 3 was going to have a story mode for every character but Dimps didn't have time to finish it.
Oh yeah, I forgot they did it in separate 'roads' in Budokai 3. That'd be a good way to have a well fleshed out story mode, as well as a good way to work in some fun what-if stuff.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:I don't mind playing the stories again and again, myself, but I would like to get a game that's finally MORE than that. Ultimate Tenkaichi apparently tried that, with the created character thing, but I'd want something done a little better than that was.
What was wrong with UT's Hero Mode Story that people complain so much? It was pretty nice in my opinion. The only problem was that it was a bit too short, and obviously the power levels. Your hero beating Omega Shenron as a simple SSJ was dumb, but the same can be applied to Dragon Ball Heroes, where SSJ Beat can match up with Baby Vegeta.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 pm

Until we get the story done right which to me is basically cutscenes that rival or surpass Budokai 1, I could play the Raditz to Boo story again and again and never get tired of it.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Nightstar1994 wrote:What was wrong with UT's Hero Mode Story that people complain so much? It was pretty nice in my opinion. The only problem was that it was a bit too short, and obviously the power levels. Your hero beating Omega Shenron as a simple SSJ was dumb, but the same can be applied to Dragon Ball Heroes, where SSJ Beat can match up with Baby Vegeta.
My problem with Hero Mode is that Beet (I'll call him Beet because he looks like Beet by default) & Super Yi Xing Long came out of nowhere (Beet being too overpowered could be explained with video game logic, which means skill matters more than power). It seems that it's a What-If that takes place after GT, since Piccolo was the only good character that was resurrected, since he was in Hell the last time we saw him, and Piccolo says that Beet will probably become a hero like Goku & Gohan. But since the Ultimate Dragon Balls seemingly resurrected all the guys from Hell (or at least the ones related to the Z-Senshi), why does Baby have Oozaru Vegeta's body, who the fuck is the random Oozaru, and why are #17 & #18 bad guys again (though maybe they never died, and they were corrupted by the Dragon Balls bringing chaos)?

But other than these, it was enjoyable.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:06 pm

Yeah, i was actually wondering about the random Oozaru myself, haha.
It's more of Spike's programming/modelling team fault than the team who wrote story for this game. The story writers had no chance to create anything making sense with so small character roster.

But it was nicely done though, especially the QTE animations in fights against Baby and Red Shenron.

I'm glad that the Hero Mode didn't end with Beat wishing back peace and crap to the world, instead the chaos has remained. Quite a dark ending.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:13 pm

I wouldn't call it very dark, since Beet tries to save the world with his own power, which will make him stronger in the end, and a better protector of Earth.

And I forgot to reply to this one:
Nightstar1994 wrote:Your hero beating Omega Shenron as a simple SSJ was dumb, but the same can be applied to Dragon Ball Heroes, where SSJ Beat can match up with Baby Vegeta.
Beet in Dragon Ball Heroes literally plays a video game (though it still takes place in the Dragon World), so anything is possible there. In Hero Mode in Ultimate Blast, however, the fights take place in the real world.