"Explain why DBZ is bad."

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Re: "Explain why DBZ is bad."

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 pm

If you judge the series for what it's meant to be, which is a fun action-comedy series made for kids and teens, it's a great series. But if you hold it up against series with a serious, complex plot, and heavy character development, then sure it's going to fall short. But that's like comparing a pop song to Beethoven's 5th symphony...

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:09 pm

For someone called 'ThatDBZGuy', you sure do put a lot of effort into acting negatively towards he series. :P

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 pm

Not that I'm trying to sound mean or anything but if you really don't like the series, why are you on a forum that is dedicated to such a series?
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:15 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: If some people consider him to be the greatest, you can disagree, but you can't say they are wrong. How does one determine who the greatest musician is?
That's not an answer. What qualities does a story have to have for it to be considered "objectively good?" You've said that DB is bad, now what is a universally good series?
Breaking Bad is objectively good.
Avatar: TLA is objectively good.
Batman: TAS is objectively good.

Why are they objectively good? Because they don't have countless amounts of plot holes, stories that don't rely on a formula and characters making dumb decisions, three-dimensional characters, and cohesive writing.

DBZ has none of that, hence why it's objectively bad.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Gonstead wrote:Not that I'm trying to sound mean or anything but if you really don't like the series, why are you on a forum that is dedicated to such a series?
I do like the series.

I just am able to realize that it's complete and utter crap from an objective standpoint.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:17 pm

I think the good lot of you are totally personifying the series and getting defensive in an almost obscene way.

If you can't take your fandom / yourself NOT seriously for even a brief second, I don't even know how it is you've become a fan of Dragon Ball in the first place, and you absolutely seem to have no place tossing thoughts into this discussion.

And that's not even the best way to put it. It's absolutely a serious question and a serious discussion. There's so much to go into. It's absolutely incredibly interesting and boggles my mind. The psychology of why my absolute favorite series may not even be that good on a basic writing level excites me on this bizarre psychological level. It's like Goku coming up against a strong opponent. I want nothing more than to understand why and see it through to the end.

It's so goddamn good.

If you're not even remotely interested in getting engaged in that, please don't even bother posting. Defend it or attack it. I don't care. Just be relevant and be awesome.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:18 pm

UpFromTheSkies wrote:If you judge the series for what it's meant to be, which is a fun action-comedy series made for kids and teens, it's a great series. But if you hold it up against series with a serious, complex plot, and heavy character development, then sure it's going to fall short. But that's like comparing a pop song to Beethoven's 5th symphony...
So basically, I shouldn't expect DBZ to be good.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

While I still love DB, I won't put it in my top 10 favorite anime/manga. I think people who say DBZ is the greatest anime of all time, most likely never seen much shows but I respect their opinion.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote: If some people consider him to be the greatest, you can disagree, but you can't say they are wrong. How does one determine who the greatest musician is?
That's not an answer. What qualities does a story have to have for it to be considered "objectively good?" You've said that DB is bad, now what is a universally good series?
Breaking Bad is objectively good.
Avatar: TLA is objectively good.
Batman: TAS is objectively good.

Why are they objectively good? Because they don't have countless amounts of plot holes, stories that don't rely on a formula and characters making dumb decisions, three-dimensional characters, and cohesive writing.

DBZ has none of that, hence why it's objectively bad.
But there's a huge group of people who don't like Avatar, and think it's a boring show! They are spread out all across the internet!
Learn what objectively good and bad mean before you start spouting it off like some kind of dogma. You don't get to decided whether a show is good or bad for someone else. Dragon Ball's purpose is to entertain. If it accomplishes that goal for someone, then it is a good show. If not, then it is a bad show. It's that simple. There are no universal rules as to what makes any kind of series "good" or "bad." It's all in the eye of the beholder.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:27 pm

I think its fine you have issues with DBZ, but you're posts come across with a lot of self-pity and depression towards liking it. I don't mean to be rude, but if liking a particular TV Show is the most worrysome thing in your life - you've actually got a damn good life.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:28 pm

You seriously need help.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Gonstead wrote:Not that I'm trying to sound mean or anything but if you really don't like the series, why are you on a forum that is dedicated to such a series?
I do like the series.

I just am able to realize that it's complete and utter crap from an objective standpoint.
From what I've seen, you're only speaking in terms of the story.

There are other portions which define how "good" or "bad" a show is to somebody. The music, the acting, the art etc.

Again, not trying to seem mean or coming off as antagonizing but the story isn't the only worthwhile thing that is discussed around here.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:29 pm

Kid Buu wrote:I think its fine you have issues with DBZ, but you're posts come across with a lot of self-pity and depression towards liking it. I don't mean to be rude, but if liking a particular TV Show is the most worrysome thing in your life - you've actually got a damn good life.
I never said I had a bad life, but okay.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:31 pm

Gonstead wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:
I do like the series.

From what I've seen, you're only speaking in terms of the story.

There are other portions which define how "good" or "bad" a show is to somebody. The music, the acting, the art etc.

Again, not trying to seem mean or coming off as antagonizing but the story isn't the only worthwhile thing that is discussed around here.
The story is the most important thing in a story. If it sucks, then you fail as a piece of literature.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:35 pm

I think the fact that nobody here can refute the points I made in my first post just goes to show how bad DBZ is.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:The story is the most important thing in a story. If it sucks, then you fail as a piece of literature.
But Dragon Ball's source material is a manga, which uses art in tandem with literature. Instead of bashing the story like a dead horse, why not tell us your say on the art?

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
TheAldella wrote:I agree with most of this post, actually. It's good to move on from thinking this show is a ball of great plot once in a while. It allows other works to breathe and become their own thing in the mind of the viewer.
I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence. Could you elaborate on that?
Oh, sorry, I'm always used to being buddy-buddy with people, so I'm real casual-like. Let's see....It's like allowing Dragon Ball to step down for a bit and letting other things fill its place, I guess...I think that's right.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:38 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
Kid Buu wrote:I think its fine you have issues with DBZ, but you're posts come across with a lot of self-pity and depression towards liking it. I don't mean to be rude, but if liking a particular TV Show is the most worrysome thing in your life - you've actually got a damn good life.
I never said I had a bad life, but okay.
I know you didn't, but its the way you come across. You come across as having some major depression and self-pity because you enjoy DBZ.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Weejus wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:The story is the most important thing in a story. If it sucks, then you fail as a piece of literature.
But Dragon Ball's source material is a manga, which uses art in tandem with literature. Instead of bashing the story like a dead horse, why not tell us your say on the art?
The art is no more important than the story.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:A repetitive, overly simplistic story
Ever saga in DBZ follows the same basic formula: Bad guy shows up, good guys get there ass beaten, good guys train, Goku beats bad guy (excluding Cell Games). This would not be such a problem if DBZ provided some sort of depth and complexity for each saga that helped to separate themselves more form the basic formula. But no, that's far from the case. Instead, we get barebones stories that only show off this issue more than DBZ already was.

Characters range from being one-dimensional to two-dimensional
DBZ's philosophies are very black and white, and the characters themselves almost never deviate from the traits that they're introduced with. (Ex: Goku) The fact that not a single character can be considered three-dimensional or more in the story is pitiful, and it goes to show that Toriyama hardly put any effort into making them. Even when character's do experience some kind of development, it usually feels forced and unnatural (like Piccolo's relationship with Gohan, Vegeta and Bulma having a kid, etc.)
Toriyama says "you're welcome." He's done plenty of interviews for Battle of Gods, and has been completely open about your complaints, and sees them as strengths. Toriyama is not trying to move you emotionally or challenge you. DB is designed to be enjoyed with your brain shut off, and Toriyama is completely shameless about that fact.

... That being said, I would take umbrage with more or less all your points. Much like Toriyama, I don't feel the things you label as faults are actually faults. Or, at the very least, they don't make the story objectively low-quality.
thatdbzguy wrote:I think the fact that nobody here can refute the points I made in my first post just goes to show how bad DBZ is.
Hrm, thankfully this thread is moving fast and I caught this before I hit submit. Per the above, the majority of your complaints don't need to be refuted because there's nothing inherently wrong with them.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki