I was officially done with the Super anime after one scene.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: I was officially done with the Super anime after one sce

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:00 pm

Chuquita wrote:Many thanks!
I only know a couple character ages off hand (Bulma being four years older than Gokû and Vegeta being five years older than him making Bulma 46 and Vegeta 47 in Super.)
On the opposite end of the spectrum, Vegeta has 2 years in the RoSaT and very little time dead, so he's physically 49.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: maid Vegeta

On the bright side at least it wasn't a dress? An apron is tame by comparison to a full maid costume.
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Chuquita wrote:Many thanks!
I only know a couple character ages off hand (Bulma being four years older than Gokû and Vegeta being five years older than him making Bulma 46 and Vegeta 47 in Super.)
On the opposite end of the spectrum, Vegeta has 2 years in the RoSaT and very little time dead, so he's physically 49.
Interesting! That I did not know.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:16 pm

Ok your entitled to your opinion but I personally find it rather silly that this of all things was the last straw for you.

While I love Super I have always tried to understand peoples criticisms of it even if I don't agree with them but in this instance I just simply cant. Dragon Ball as has always had humour of this type and this isn't even the most extreme example. We have had far more blunt pee jokes, mild swearing and offensive gestures, some nudity both male and female, sexual harassment, gore, torture, murder, a character who was literally a living fart joke and the infamous diamond scene from the Red Ribbon Arc. But you draw the line at Goku being desperate to go after a long trip. I'm sorry but that simple makes no logical sense.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:27 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:
Bullza wrote:This is the same guy who would run around without his clothes on and not give two shit's.
Are you defending Maid Vegeta?

Being butt naked is fine, given his primitive background, as long as he remains indifferent to the notion. Wearing a pink apron is purely done to shit all over the character because it's "funny."
I think they meant that more for Goku.

But I'll defend 'Maid Vegeta', yes. It's a hell of a lot more enjoyable than the standard old Vegeta we had constantly in the old days. Vegeta is at his best when he's in a situation that puts him completely out of his element.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:33 pm

Vegeta is at his best when he's choking on his own blood, but continues preaching about his status as an elite or mocking the opponent.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:37 pm

I was referring to Goku yeah.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:40 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree I suppose then, because that's when I find Vegeta to be his most insufferable and egotistical. The franchise has had more than enough of that out of the character over the years, to the point that I've been quite happy to see his character finally evolve a bit past that.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Vegeta kind of embodies the best and worst qualities of Super. When both deal with slice of life stuff or comedy it works great, but when it comes to things like power levels or fighting it fucking sucks.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

raulvalente
Beyond Newbie

Post by raulvalente » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:58 pm

This thread is sillier than the scene itself. You're really going to stop watching a show because one joke failed (in your opinion)?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:16 pm

Goku almost wetting himself and not caring is in character though, Goku's the same idiot child he's always been just see the way he first spoke to Beerus, or that time he casually offered nudes of Bulma without a second though.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 3:18 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Goku almost wetting himself and not caring is in character though, Goku's the same idiot child he's always been just see the way he first spoke to Beerus, or that time he casually offered nudes of Bulma without a second though.
That one wasn't casual. :P
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:03 pm

Does this mean we'll see a sharp decline in the number of threads about Chichi in Super?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:35 pm

Zephyr wrote:Does this mean we'll see a sharp decline in the number of threads about Chichi in Super?
Yes, the episode 17 already smashed any hope Super would ever try to bring her out of the long and should-be-dead stereotype associate with her with a sledgehammer... I don't even wanna see her face in Super ever again (poor Goku).
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:37 pm

Goku is a manchild after all, so something like needing to go to bathroom will mostly likely be handled in a somewhat childish manner to him. But regardless, when most people need to desperately go to the bathroom, they act like that. I know I do sometimes, and I'm 21. :P

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6cg0VRIzPs

Too much drama. Goku is a manchild, scenes like that shouldn't be strange for people that actually know his character.
The constant complaining of some people towards Super is breaking all the charts. The arguments doesn't even make sense anymore.

- Been asking for a new series for years.
- Finally have it. Crucifix it like theres no tomorrow.

Never in a fanbase I saw so much nitpicking. Pathetic.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:11 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6cg0VRIzPs

Too much drama. Goku is a manchild, scenes like that shouldn't be strange for people that actually know his character.
The constant complaining of some people towards Super is breaking all the charts. The arguments doesn't even make sense anymore.

Never in a fanbase I saw so much nitpicking. Pathetic.
Asking for the new content to be good isn't being unreasonable I don't think. I mean, there are some guys just out for blood no matter what, that's definitely true. But Super is just obnoxiously doing its best to be as mediocre as humanly possible when it really doesn't need to be concerning everything outside the slice of life stuff.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Exactly. Unfortunately it's a common mentality.

People had been waiting years upon years for a Final Fantasy VII remake to be announced, it was, then I see a bunch of people whining the next day about how it "better have this", " it better not change this" etc.

Same thing with people waiting years for a Superman and Batman movie of which once it becomes a reality then you had people bitching about Lex Luthor's hair.

It's always the same, people want and wait for something for years but once it's a thing then it has to be exactly how they want it to be or its no good.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:07 pm

It's funny, because that was literally one of my favourite scenes.

It didn't feel immature to me. In fact, it felt strangely realistic. In the spur of the moment, you don't have time for a bathroom break! Obviously, Goku probably needed to pee before Whis was about to leave, but he had no time to tell Whis to stop and wait. And then he had to hold it in for another half hour. No wonder he was busting to go by the end of it!
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:16 pm

Bullza wrote:
It's always the same, people want and wait for something for years but once it's a thing then it has to be exactly how they want it to be or its no good.
When people have over a decade to build up expectations, they tend to be so specific, particular, and unrealistic that it's unlikely that they're going to have those expectations met. Duke Nukem Forever is another good example. The new material has failed to meet my expectations several times, but it doesn't take much to be humble, self-aware, and refrain from lambasting Toei and Toriyama for not being minutia-masturbatory mind readers.

The age of information we're in should be able to preclude a great deal of ignorance of the production process that has historically characterized the franchise, which should in turn temper these expectations.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:31 pm

That one isn't that bad. Anyone would react like that if they got an assburn.

Goku was like in the middle of traveling into that warp hole which lasted like half an hour and seeing as it takes like 3-5 hours for a potty emergency to kick in... it makes his behavior really unacceptable. It's common sense to go even for children to go before going on a trip.
fadeddreams5 wrote: