What was the point of Piccolo dying in Super?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: What was the point of Piccolo dying in Super?

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:54 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:That Namekian book isn't a major plot point. It's was just their way of writing "it is stated in Namekian legend that..."
And you know this for an absolute fact, because...?

I mean, there's every chance you're right. But there's also every chance you're not. So would it seriously pain you that much to not have a completely negative viewpoint on everything? Because if your hopes for Super are that low, then I can't help but wonder why you even still bother to watch it or enter threads about it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

whitetop

Post by whitetop » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:07 pm

FoolsGil wrote:It was done for shock value.
I agree plus it is said he comes back with extra powers! what that means we don't know but will find out very soon

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:13 pm

In my opinion the only reason he wasn't killed in resurrection of F was because the directors didn't want to waste time killing him/Gohan getting angered at his death/then having to revive him.
Since Super is obviously much longer than "F", they have more time to play around with these things.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:25 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:That Namekian book isn't a major plot point. It's was just their way of writing "it is stated in Namekian legend that..."
And you know this for an absolute fact, because...?
Because it seemed pretty obvious within the context it was brought up in. Also, Super will soon have Zuno.

I wasn't trying to be negative that time. :angel:
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:18 am

The Monkey King wrote:As for the thread maybe his death will give him the motivation for him to get stronger and he'll seek out the 'Namekian book of legends?' and find out how to become a Super Namek God.
That's what I've been hoping. Something like "I couldn't protect Gohan" will motivate him to train and get some sort of power up for the next arc. The way he was watching over Gohan in Episode 1 particularly comes to mind.

The fact that they'll probably have to revive him with the Namekian balls seems like it could cause some introspection on his part too. Plus that "book of legends" was such a specific change from the movie dialogue that I find it hard to believe it was just a throwaway line.
-Rachel

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:02 am

There's something that crossed my mind the other day: There will still be one wish left after Piccolo is revived and Kibitoshin defuses.

What if Piccolo wishes to get the Namekian Book of Legends and find a way to get stronger?

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:39 am

Zombie wrote:There's something that crossed my mind the other day: There will still be one wish left after Piccolo is revived and Kibitoshin defuses.

What if Piccolo wishes to get the Namekian Book of Legends and find a way to get stronger?
Good catch but you pop something in my mind up.The ROF arc is about to end but we never see Champa meeting the Kaioshins,I'm starting to think it will happen off screen including the wishes,meaning Piccolo will already be strong as heck when he returns.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:31 am

I thought it was to give Gohan a rage boost to attack Freeza but like the majority of Super, it turned out to be pointless.
dbzfan7 wrote:Perhaps his death will push Gohan to start to care about being able to protect those closest to him.
Based on the last chapter
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Khin
I Live Here

Post by Khin » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:38 am

sintzu wrote:I thought it was to give Gohan a rage boost to attack Freeza but like the majority of Super, it turned out to be pointless.
Having a rage boost will be as pointless,Gohan will still get destroyed Freeza regardless.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:43 am

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:
sintzu wrote:I thought it was to give Gohan a rage boost to attack Freeza but like the majority of Super, it turned out to be pointless.
Gohan will still get destroyed Freeza regardless.
True but him doing something before getting put down would've been a lot better then what we got.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:39 pm

sintzu wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:Perhaps his death will push Gohan to start to care about being able to protect those closest to him.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:49 pm

That's why I said "PERHAPS". My bet is it's gonna mean jack shit and it'll probably feel like it never happened, but that doesn't mean there's not a small chance Super might do something really good for once that's not simply being shit.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:52 pm

I can't imagine a reason other than wanting to up the stakes for the serialized format, with both its timeline placement and the fact it's an adaptation of previously animated material threatening to neuter some of the tension.

Either way, it's an unbelievably poorly handled element.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:50 pm

Nope. As others have said, it was done for shock value and to create enough differentiation from the event in Resurrection F when Super was retelling the story.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:43 pm

Nothing no there's was no reason for piccolo to die in super considering the next arc he's alive and well it was nothing but pointless shock value that amount to shit.

DainIronfoot
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DainIronfoot » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:53 pm

SSJ3 Vegeta wrote:
Zombie wrote:There's something that crossed my mind the other day: There will still be one wish left after Piccolo is revived and Kibitoshin defuses.

Good catch but you pop something in my mind up.The ROF arc is about to end but we never see Champa meeting the Kaioshins,I'm starting to think it will happen off screen including the wishes,meaning Piccolo will already be strong as heck when he returns.
That scene could still happen but in a different way. Maybe Champa and Vados are destroying another planet again and Elder Kai catches him and that scene plays out like it did in the manga?

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:53 pm

precita wrote:Are you being serious? Almost all the other characters death was important to the story of that particular saga and led to the events of the next one.

The humans/Piccolo dying against the Saiyans is why they traveled to Namek to revive them. Krillin's death brought Super Saiyan Goku. Vegeta's death let us see a side of his character we hadn't seen before.

Most of the main characters death had some sort of importance, Piccolo's in Super does nothing.
It's actually your thread that is completely pointless. Super isn't over, Piccolo wasn't even resurrected yet for God's sake, and you already assume the death will have no consequences. That doesn't make any sense.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:03 am

Araki wrote:
precita wrote:Are you being serious? Almost all the other characters death was important to the story of that particular saga and led to the events of the next one.

The humans/Piccolo dying against the Saiyans is why they traveled to Namek to revive them. Krillin's death brought Super Saiyan Goku. Vegeta's death let us see a side of his character we hadn't seen before.

Most of the main characters death had some sort of importance, Piccolo's in Super does nothing.
It's actually your thread that is completely pointless. Super isn't over, Piccolo wasn't even resurrected yet for God's sake, and you already assume the death will have no consequences. That doesn't make any sense.
What consequences piccolo is already alive by the manga and going to participate in the tournament for the next arc. I doubt there's going be major coming from it.

Kuririn Fan
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Kuririn Fan » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:51 am

pacz360 wrote:
Araki wrote:

What consequences piccolo is already alive by the manga and going to participate in the tournament for the next arc. I doubt there's going be major coming from it.
There's a theory: Piccolo looks up that namekian book and gets a power up, and Kibito Kaioshin defuses, so definitely not pointless.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:48 am

So far Piccolo's death in GT was better. As bad as it was, at least he died for a reason so that the Black Star Dragon Balls would not be used again.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/